Net-not-work

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by goldfish, Nov 7, 2006.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I've been working at the halls today, trying to fix a bunch of faults with the network. It's 2:30AM and I've only just finshed.

My brain aches.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Pubs closed?

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Unofortunately, definately. The only alcoholic beverage available to me currently is a bottle of sainsburys vodka. And all I've got to mix it with is Sainsburys Bolt energy drink (can you tell I live next to a Sainsburys? :p).

Also, I ranted here for the gorey details of it.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

But wait whats that we see in the shower why its Goldfish transforming himself into Super Geek, Network crusader, Folding Guru coming to the rescue of all us Nerds.......................wait whats that he's tooooooooooo tired

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Then an ice cube may have to suffice to accompany the vodka ....in your state, does it really matter?:)

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Funny you say that, that is exactly what I've just got from the kitchen. As well as two Tunnock's Caramel wafers. Nice combo.

I'm going to go listen to some MC Router (PG and all that) and brush up on some questions to ask her on Saturday (interview YAY!).

Then again I might just ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Well....whatever you do...I hope the hell you didn't have to get up too early...especially after having cocktails!! I know I couldn't do it anymore!!!!:)

Roger

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That's why I shopped at Tesco's....24 hr ;)

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ARGH!

Just went to check out another couple of faults, as it turns out an entire block has lost connectivity completely. A whole stack of switches have just died. All ports are just flashing - broadcast traffic looking for an IP. I can't work out what happened, and I have no serial cable - or a laptop for that matter - so I can't interface with them to check the logs. I'm thinking it's got to be an uplink problem somewhere - I've tried re-patching them directly to the main switch but that doesn't help either.

I did manage to disconnect a dead router, though - so now we have slightly limited bandwidth but at least nobody is getting connected to a duff connection.

BUGGER.

Oh well, tomorow I should return with proper equipment.

10. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You have may upmost sympathy,just getting two computers to to communicate using XP pro,supposidly P+P,didnt want to share files just LAN gaming really got me wound up,ended up being a silly windows component I disabled when "Tweaking" and didnt plan on networking it

Worse thing when its someone elses comp/s is the time factor,I'm always conscious of not looking like an idiot,the real fun starts when people start asking what your doing :rolleyes: :cool:

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

It's coming up to half past midnight and I'm about to go to the comms room to get a packet capture on the dead switches. With some luck I should be able to telnet into them as well... but you never know really.

I got a serial cable today - and I've borrowed someone's laptop. Unfortunately there is no serial connection !!! ACK! Never mind!

12. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Good lord. We just chased a worm over the entire network, from the comms room down to the room connection. We disconnected them, simply because they were degrading the usage of others due to their own lack of computer hygene.

Tomorow they'll go to the reception and file a fault about it, I'll bet - and then we can show them the Terms of Service that says if your computer is causing mayhem then it's our responsibility to disconnect it from the network until it stops doing it.

Nasty little worm it was - it was ARP poisoning the network, presumabley to steal personal information and ship it off to a botnet somewhere.

How do you think we traced the connection? By using their MAC address against a list of connected useres? Nope - we don't have access to such things. We did it the old fashioned way, by sitting with a packet sniffer and disconnecting bits of the network until we narrowed into the one port that it was originating from.

Thankfully most of the residents were out, and so were not affected by us pulling out fiber lines here and there. But if it were a busy day then we would have annoyed a bunch of people. Damn, why won't they give me telnet access to all the switches??!

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Angry Mac users ahoy! Sensational reports such as "NO INTERNET FOR 3 WEEKS" ... why is it that we only get to know about this after 3 weeks of no service? Are we supposed to be Psychic???

14. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Maybe they wanted to notify you of the outage via email? :confused:

15. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

As it turns out their connection wasn't plugged in at the switch in their block. Probably because an engineer decided they'd unplug it for fun. They tend to do that sometimes. Before they told us that they do that if the user has been abusing the service - but a music student with a mac? How can he possibly be abusing the service?! He doesn't have bittorrent (i checked - very nice mac setup he's got too) and a worm is kinda out of the question.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds