Network Advise (cm Error Codewords)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Master LL, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

Please look at the "CM Error Codewords", this is screenshot from my Comcast Router/Modem when I accessed it (Gateway -> Connection -> XFINITY Networks).

I noticed the "CM Error Codewords" was a new feature since I never saw it until now and realized looking at it, the "Uncorrectable Codewords" should NOT be that insanely huge, hence I would assume this is the cause of my constant disconnects on Battle.Net and Twitch while streaming and playing.

Since I am completely unfamiliar with this, I was hoping someone can:
    01) Give me some insight on what this is what how it affects my network
    02) What solutions can I do to fix this

I'm sure calling Comcast for the 50th time would be the answer, but I would like to get anyone's opinion for those who is more familiar with this situation.

PS - I had my modem/router rebooted just last night, but before that the Uncorrectable Codewords is still double or even triple the Correctable Codewords.

Thank you,
    LL

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I really cannot help you because I am using a totally different ISP and Motorola modem and its logs are totally different. Hopefully someone with more experience with your Comcast setup will come by with more help.

But what I would suggest for the time being is you make sure all your cable connections are tight and secure and in perfect repair. Note that Ethernet cables are critical network devices but can easily be damaged. If you connect your computer via Ethernet, consider swapping cables and even Ethernet ports on the back of your modem/router.

Then I recommend you reset your modem logs. Those numbers could be tallies from over months or longer of use.

You might also verify your network speeds are at least what your contract says you should be getting with Speedtest.net and Testmy.net. If you are not getting what you pay for, complain - loudly! Hopefully, the contract states a minimum and not something vague like “up to” some speed.

You might also browse through this; comcast uncorrectable codewords to see if anything there helps.

3. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

Thank you for the response.

Yup my cable connections is tight and secure, I had my switch and my Cat5 replaced on my PS4 and my main PC (which is directly connected to the modem).

The connection also affects wireless too, which is why I feel it is something on Comcast side or at worst case scenario the main cat5 wire that connects to the outside (which I would need to find some professional to replace that main cat5 wire).

My modem log is reset as I did a complete reboot to clear everything up.

My Speedtest was tested (I constantly test it even during streaming) and the connection is fine with the speed I expect.

Last, yea, I did a google on it and read a lot from the "Comcast Xfinity support board" (which most search links refers to) but it didn't really help too much, which is why I was hoping someone with more personal experience with network have an idea.

Hopefully I'll get more input on this matter before I call Comcast again and complain about this...

But this is the main scenario:

I'm streaming on Twitch via PC while playing Overwatch on my Playstation 4. So that's 2 separate hardware using Comcast.

Suddenly I lost connection to Battle.Net (meaning I got kicked out of the game) AND my stream connection to twitch is completely lost.

You would think it means I completely lost internet connection but I didn't.

01) I can still talk to my Twitch viewers on my PC (even though I lost direct connection to Twitch for streaming using Open Broadcast Software)

02) My Playstation 4 is still connected to PlaystationNetwork but I have to reconnect to Battle.Net in Overwatch to get back into game.

If feels like I lost half of my internet connection even though I'm still connected.

Hence I feel like the "CM Error Codewords" maybe the key to figuring out why this is happening.

4. Digerati

And is computer connected by Ethernet or wifi? If wifi, it could be many things - distance between the AP (access point in the router) and the computer. The number of walls/floors/ceilings matter. Other electronics nearby creating interference. Other networks nearby creating interference. This last thing you might be able to fix by changing your wifi channel. You can use XIRRUS WiFi Inspector to check your signal strength and note surrounding networks from your neighbors. If other networks are using the same channel as you, that may be causing your drop off problems. You should then change your channel. I try to pick a channel that is 5 steps away from the next.

5. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

It is a complete wired connection.
    I don't trust wifi for important stuff like this.

I already have the cables, switch and the modem/router replaced so those all fresh.

6. Digerati

Well, except for the Ethernet adapter in your computer, that pretty much eliminates everything on your side. As I said in my opening post, I am out of my element here. Sorry. Hopefully someone else has some ideas.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds