New Computer! :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mimsy, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It's been a while, both since I posted here and since I built a new toy, so here we go:

Does anyone know anything about the ASUS STRIX X299 -E Gaming motherboard? I'm thinking of basing the build around it and am hoping to hear from someone who owns one.

2. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

I would wait another 1-2 weeks until the first reviews of AMD's Ryzen Threadripper are out. At this point, it look like that AMD is going to release the much better high-end desktop platform.

3. Mimsy

The new Ryzen do look promising. However,the reason for building a new computer right now is that the old one kind of died... so until I have a new build I am without a gaming pc. I am not quite patient enough to wait another couple of weeks for that.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Imagine how you'll feel if the Ryzen is the gamechanger they claim.

5. Mimsy

I imagine I'd feel like AMD finally did something worthwhile... which was long over-due. :rolleyes:

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Though, having an x299 is quite awesome. It is NOT the ultimate gaming computer. But if you were using it to game and do other things, then yes. I'm currently waiting on ThreadRipper myself. 16 Core for ehhh $1k. 64 PCIe lanes is what I'm more interested in.

7. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

Actually, under 2 weeks ;). I wouldn't buy the x299 platform now because it has multiple issues:
    https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ing-problem-implicates-skylake-xs-design-well

Or you go with a mainstream platform like the Ryzen 7/X370. The 8-core Ryzen 7 1700 can be easily overclocked to 3.8/3.9 GHz, so it offers a good value for its price ($299).

8. Mimsy

I actually have zero interest in over-clocking, which makes me think overheating is less of a concern for me. I do have some reading to catch up on, since I hadn't expected to need to make a decision on motherboards for another few months. There will always be something bigger and better around the corner, so waiting for whatever is there right now doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Not when I'm currently living in a house that has two PC gamers and only one gaming PC... :eek:

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

[​IMG]

10. Mimsy

It's been a very long time since I posted here, and an even longer since I made this thread. (I blame my family [both of them], life in general, and work.)

Anyways.

I ended up going with the ASUS STRIX x299 board after all. It has an i7-7800x, 16GB high performance DRAM, a couple of SSDs, and a GTX 970 that will be upgraded as soon as the 4K TV arrivs and is connected to serve as monitor.

Apologies for the thread necromancy. It seemed polite to return and share what I decided on. :)

the mekanic, Spad and Just Playin like this.
  11. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I may have drooled on my keyboard just a little bit . . .

Mimsy likes this.
  12. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Which case did you use?
    How about a nice set of photos.

13. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Pics. Definitely need pics.

Did you consider OLED? LG makes some nice TVs.

Mimsy likes this.
  14. Mimsy

We did, actually. The LG C7 arrived today. :cool:

Apologies for the lack of pictures. I will try to remedy that as soon as the TV is set up and all the consoles and speakers connected and configured as we want them.

15. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Nice setup Mimsy.
    Be prepared to play at 4K for eye candy, but dial back to 1440 or even 1080 get playable frame rates. I have a macro that I use to toggle pretty vs speed when I PVP or do dungeons because low frame rates = death.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds