New Ssd Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dondd, Aug 12, 2017.

1. dondd

dondd Private E-2

Got a new SSD but when I put it in my PC, it isn't recognized. I mounted it on my SATA adapter and while I hear the two-tone beep, It doesn't show up. So, I went to Disc Mgmt and it told me that the disc needs to be initialized, and gave me a window to do so. I initialized the disc, and now it appears in the bottom portion of the disc mgmt window as "unallocated", and doesn't show up on the top half of the window. Also doesn't show up on My Computer. I don't know if I have to format it, so I looked for a context menu to give me that option, but no joy.
    What do I have to do to this ssd to be able to use it to replace a mechanical HDD?
    I appreciate any input or guidance.
    BTW, I'm running Win 7 Pro - 64bit system.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

The process is not too complicated but I do suggest you Backup the disk to an external drive before you start. I have used
    Aomei Backupper Standard 4.0.4.

The first thing you need to know is the size of the OS partition. The size of the C: drive. This has to be smaller than the size of the SSD. If you need to resize your C: drive you can use
    Aomei Partition Assistant 6.3

If you open disk management you will see the partitions on your drive. Some of them are made by Windows and need to be present for the machine to boot.

That's enough for the moment.
    Any questions should be answered...
    Good luck,
    s.

Of course you could try
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ssd-upgrade-tutorial

4. dondd

dondd Private E-2

Thanks for the input guys! For some reason I never got an email indicating I received any responses, so I apologize for this late acknowledgement. Also, I took a screen shot of the Disk Mgmt window and pasted to a Word doc, but when I try to upload it, I can't see the file. Don't know what's going on there. Anyhow, I'll check out your recommended processes and get back to you. Thanks!!

5. dondd

dondd Private E-2

Ok guys...using disk manager, I was able to initialize, and format the SSD. I used the "New Volume" wizard to finally get it recognized and formated. I also assigned it the letter "P". I have Acronis True Image...do I simply take an image of the HDD I want to replace and recover the image to the SSD? Appreciate your input! Thanks, dondd.:)

6. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Sounds fine.
    What you have to make sure is that there is enough disk space on the SSD.
    If the HDD is bigger than the SSD you may need to follow a few more instructions.
    s.

I would recommend Cloning from
    Backup would work but Clone is simpler,
    s.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Just curiosity here, but what brand is the SSD?

8. dondd

dondd Private E-2

the mekanic, the SSD is a 256GB SanDisk. Thanks for the question.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds