no audio output device is installed

Discussion in 'Software' started by dark_pheonix010, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dark_pheonix010

dark_pheonix010 Private E-2

i have a small red coss on my speaker icon in my tray when i go above it, it is installed, however this morning it was working jut fine, i went into device manager and i have no sound cards installed, i have 7.1 channel, Realtek ALC662 HDA codec intergrated on my foxcomm motherboard, i have tried to install the driver again but it still has not appered on my drivers list, can anyone help, as i may have installed the wrong driver or something, i have no idea what is wrong as i said it just stopped working

i have also tired a system restore in the hope that, that would fix itbut it never

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is a fix that has been helping others with Realtek installs:
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
    6) Restart Windows and retry the installation.
    You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well.
    Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it.
    Install your driver, then re-boot.

3. dark_pheonix010

this did not work for me i have i done number 1 however number 2 onwards did not exist for me, i then reinstalled the driver (i think), do you know where i can get the offical driver from? as i dont have a cd for it, or is it something else wrong as it still has not appeared in my devices list

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You might also try looking for this reg entry and deleting it, (if it is there) then trying your driver install.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

If you have a retail PC, post the manufacturer name and model #
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

That's so I can find you the audio driver from your PC or mother board sites and also the chipset driver, which you may have to install also.

Also a screenshot of what shows in your Device Manager under System and Sound, Video & Game controllers might help, too.

5. dark_pheonix010

i dont mean to sound stupid but how do i put an attachment into this post?

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Your not the first to ask that or the last to ask. ;)
    This is all the steps for getting the report from Everest to here.

Click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware-related Pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

This is also the link to Realtek for the HD drivers, I'm not sure which you need at this point or if we will have to get one specific to your system.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

7. dark_pheonix010

here is the report, also that was the website i got my download from

Attached Files:

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, I'm running into a dead end at Foxconn. I found 3 motherboards with the same first numbers of your mobo ID but different ending numbers and all use a different Realtek chip than what you say you have. I can't even come up with specifications in a google search for that board. I can suggest 2 things,
    Try this driver pack for Vista Realtek HD audio:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_Vista_d5513.html

or contact a tech at the Foxconn site:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/online.aspx

This is the product model #, that Everest reports for your board: P4M900-8237A
    This link shows how to identify it yourself:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/faq_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000064

9. dark_pheonix010

well i checked my motherboard and the product number is P4M9007 MB8RS2H, so i went to the foxcomm downloads and selected this and it gave a fair few downloads i selected the latest download for the onboard audio for vista and have installed that as well as the driver pack you posted, the realtek is in add/remove programs however the device is still NOT in the device manager

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try installing your chipset drivers, re-boot, look in Device Manager to see if the audio is there now.
    If not try re-installing Realtek again.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0001195

The chipset rivers are needed to allow the OS to correctly ID the onboard hardware. This allows the right driver to install. The chipset drivers will allow Ethernet, USB, and Audio to be installed correctly. (Thanks Halo)

11. dark_pheonix010

ok i installed the link you left me and it installed a monitoring program called fox one but nothing else, i then reinstalled the realtek from a link you left earlier on, the sound card is still not in my device manager.

also is it possible for new hardware to cause this type of probem, beucase yesterday i added a new 2gb ram card there is compatible with my motherboard however since i added the ram card i have had this no sound thing and on ocasions my pc performs a mem dump (the blue screen sayin if this is the 1st time... ... . .. .) as well as the index system thing that gives the pc a rating out of 10 is no longer working

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Duhhhh! I gave you the wrong link. :eek:
    Uninstall that software, unless you want to keep it.
    Then install the real chipset drivers:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000946

Also, now that you mentioned the new RAM, are sure that you didn't jiggle anything loose? Try re-seating the card with your speaker jacks, if the chipset drivers don't get you going. Remember, chipset driver install, re-boot, check for sound, audio driver install. (You may have to re-boot after the audio install, too)

13. dark_pheonix010

well i downloaded this link and it was the chipset however when i ran the installed it said that the hardware was not present or something like that. so i opened the case up to make sure i didnt knock it lose like u suggested, the card is in a metal case and intergrated to the motherboard, so i think i may have damaged the audio card some how, if i buy a new one and would that work? unless you have any other suggestions i could try

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I just looked back through the thread. I never suggested the audio drivers at Foxconn, because I was having trouble getting info until you gave me the proper mobo ID. I only gave you the generic Realtek drivers. There are 2 listed for Vista.
    The first one says Vista 32-bit, the second just says Vista, but the version number starts with an R, which the Realtek driver versions start with.
    Try both of them and see if you get your sound back, I would suggest the one with the R in the version number, but with my luck it will be the other one. rolleyes
    Make sure to remove the Realtek folders you have now through Add/Remove Programs.
    On-Board Audio Drivers Version: R1.55 Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows Vista
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000969
    On-Board Audio Drivers Version: 6.187.1121.2006 Windows XP,Windows 2003,Windows Vista 32-Bit
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000920

I just took a peek at your manual and it doesn't seem like your RAM slots are close enough for you to have damaged it. It doesn't show where the audio chip sets, but is probably encased in that metal box.
    The manual also talks about the Fox LiveUpdate software through which you can get updates for your hardware. It should be installed already. Have you tried updating through it?

One last thing, have you checked in the BIOS to make sure that audio is enabled?

15. dark_pheonix010

well i have downoaded both the files in the hope that one would just work on my pc, i saved them to my desktop, they have downloaded with a file extension microsoft does not know, even though they tend not to know much when i need help. well the file extension is .7z so i looked it up and its a compression file and there site was www.7-zip.org so i downloaded there utility but its not an unpacking program and i have no idea what to do now, or where the downloaded file is meant to go or even do.

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

7-Zip Is basically like WinRar, WinZip, and other apps that compress or uncompress files. Possibly you downloaded the wrong app at their site. This is the link for it here. http://www.majorgeeks.com/7-Zip_d4603.html

With 7-zip running, find your drivers within it, and double click on the driver file. It should un-zip your file and show you more files. Double click on the set-up.exe file and your install should begin.

17. dark_pheonix010

well i did download the correct app to start with however i never relised i had to right click on the file and select 7z, and ways i try to extract the file and i get a message saying data error in ............ (there are like 30 lines naming differnent folders) so i tried running it with out extracting the data and i get the same message, i get this error with both downloads, so i tried re downloading them incase somthing went wrong but i got the same erorr message

oh and as for the BIOS i had a look in there and could not see anything to do with audio i looked a couple of times before i left, i have an option in my BIOS that says intergrater perifials (sorry for the spelling) i gussed it should have been in there but wasnt but i did check all the other options

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's strange. Delete your two driver downloads and re-download them. I just downloaded one and 7-Zip automatically opened, (with the driver zip file showing) when the download was complete. I double-clicked it and all the files were OK.
    I read the readme file and it is not really clear on the Vista install. I suggest double clicking the setup.exe file, first. If that doesn't work, open the Vista folder and double click on RtlUpd.exe. That's the Realtek updater.
    BTW this was the Version R1.55 driver. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. dark_pheonix010

ok well i manualy set the 7z file to use the utility as it did not pick it up on its own for some reason, i then pressed to download the file but just pressed open instead of save, however this folder was not corrupted, i double clicked the setup and it said are you sure you want to run this file, publisher microsoft. so i pressed allow, but nothing happened so i pressed it again and the same happened, but then i closed it, so i re downloaded it but this time saved it to my desktop, and i got the same as my last post.. this folder is corrupt.

will just buying a new sound card solve the problem as it seems i have somehow managed to break my onboard sound card or its just being stubborn

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Buying a new sound card would probably work, if you want to give up.
    I don't understand why you are getting a corrupt download.
    I just downloaded the other driver file. It is basically the same but 8 MB bigger.
    Have tried that one yet?

Did you try using the Fox LiveUpdate software? (if you have it installed)

21. dark_pheonix010

well i think it may not be a driver problem i opened my pc up again and noticed that there were a couple a wires not plugged in (front audio connector and speaker connector) would these be requred to be plugged in for intergrated sound? if so then it would explain why it does not even show on device manager because it has no power

22. eomca

eomca Private E-2

Hi, I have just joined this forum as a result of the above problem. I am also using the foxconn motherboard with the realtek onboard audio which has also stopped working recently.
    My sound stopped working on the same day that I foolishly downloaded SP1 for vista Home Basic.
    I have tried all ways to try and turn the audio device back on. I have checked the Bios and it is enabled, in the bios it is not called audio, it begins with an A, away from my Pc at the moment!
    I have enabled it though and still there is no sign of it in device manager. I have also checked in system management to ensure audio was turned on. which it was.
    The only reason I downloaded the update was to ensure that my 4gig of ram was being used.
    I have also uninstalled, re installed the updated realtek drivers and the hd drivers that vista needs for the hd audio.
    Still nothing. I have looked at other forums and checked the patch that vista needs sometimes when "your pc returns from hibernation" as recommended in the vista forums. This problem is doing my head in!!

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ dark_pheonix010
    I don't know a whole lot about hardware.I'm not sure if those wires need to be connected in order for the Audio to show in Device Manager. Myself, I would connect them and check.
    This is the link to download your manual:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000904

Here is a what your manual shows about connections. (Thumbnails)

Attached Files:

24. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

While I was in your manual, I found out how to get to your Audio in BIOS. (Not sure exactly how to get there with out seeing the screens myself but you said you had gotten to the Integrated Periphials screen in Advanced Features.
    Look for OnChip PCI Device, press Enter, and look for Azalia IDA Controller. Make sure it is set to Auto (or Enabled, if you have that choice)

Attached Files:

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ eomca
    Please, start your own thread.
    (Also, read this one from the start and see if any of the things discussed here will solve your problem)

26. eomca

eomca Private E-2

sorry, new to this. I didnt know i had to start my own thread. The problem seems similiar with the same hardware,same software and no audio output issues. Hope you get it sorted dark_pheonix010.
    Regards
    eomca

27. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ eomca
    I wasn't trying to be rude, Sorry.
    We like to keep problems separated, because you never know where your's may detour from the original poster's problem.
    Read this, it will tell you how to start a thread.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31333
    And Welcome to MG.

28. dark_pheonix010

ok well when i just press open, the file is not corrupt however when i save the file to my pc i get the corrupted message, either way when i try and run the setup nothing happens still and i cant find this foxconn update on my pc so i guess it does it automaticaly or something

also i connected the cables into the motherboard (the audio and speaker) but it didnt seem to help as i still have no sound

as for the BIOS no wonder i never found it with a name like that you would have thought they would call it something sensible like audio, the only options i had was auto and disable and auto was already selected so it should be active its just not detecting it for some reason

29. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok, let's see if I have it all right. Your chipset wouldn't install because it said the hardware wasn't present and the audio drivers are corrupted downloads.

Here is the Fox LiveUpdate. Run that and see if you can get your chipset and audio drivers to download.
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0001609

This is important.
    I want you to look in Device Manager in the System section for Plug and Play (PnP) Software Device Enumerator. Is it there?

30. dark_pheonix010

the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator is there.
    ok i opened the update and the setup started however near the end of the install an error message popped up it said "CRC error The file c:/FOXCONN\FOXliveupdate\skinmagic.dll doesnt match the file setup.cab file. the medium from whuch you are running the setup may be corrupted , contact your software vendor" i am presuming when it says medium running the setup it is refereing to windows installer but not sure, anyways it gave me 3 options cancel, retry and ignore, i pressed retry several times and it just gave the same message so i pressed ignore, the update is now on my pc however when i try running it i get a message saying this program has stopped responding, so i pressed look for soluctions and none was found im gussing its not working as that file wouldnt install

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm wondering if your OS is corrupted in spots. Hopefully you have your XP disc or a recovery disc/partition. These next steps will compare the original Windows files against yours and repair or replace any corrupted or missing ones, with no data loss.
    If you have a disc put it in now. If you have a recovery partition, just go ahead.

Go to Start>Run and type cmd
    Press Enter.
    A command window will open.
    Type sfc /SCANNOW
    Press Enter

32. dark_pheonix010

well i have vista not xp but i dont have the disk and i never set up a recovery partition in hindsite i should of but hey, well since i put my new RAM in my pc has been playing up even though its the correct ram so i took it out and put the old 1 in and all my pc errors have stop happening so i redownloaded the update and the install worked this time and i selected update drivers and it found one for my audio, its installed and now its on devices however it has the yellow sign with an explnation mark in it and the driver details say Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
    (the check for soluctions part does not seem to work)

33. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I haven't abandoned you. I am trying to figure out these drivers are downloading corrupted.
    I would suggest getting your hands on a copy of Vista and running the SFC procedure and also scanning your system for malware.
    Start with this:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html
    Then run this:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html
    If it finds anything other than cookies, run these steps exactly:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=664939&postcount=2

34. dark_pheonix010

well i i dicided to start at the start of this thread again now that i had ran the update and downloaded them programs ect and that it was now showing the device, anyways my sound is now working fine

thanks for the help.

also just as addioninal information the audio updates still would not work however thier update utility added the driver again so it could be detected which was not happening before and then i ran the realTek HD driver install again and the sound started working after the pc was restarted.

as for them wires that was unplugged the audio one and the speaker one, i currently have them unplugged so it must for for a pci sound card or something rather than the intergrated sound card

35. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's good. Kinda wish I knew exactly where your sound returned because I have 2 other threads going where the driver does not want to work. One may be just because of a re-boot at the wrong time, which is possibly why we had your problem, too. I think we tried every trick I know of to get yours to work and then some. LOL
    Anyway...[​IMG]

36. leapie

leapie Private E-2

Just chipping in something to try.
    I'm looking at a Foxconn P4M9007MB 8RS2H motherboard with the same problem.
    What I've found is that the sound will not work (missing out of device menager) if there is more than 2GB RAM installed. Can anyone with this problem just take out one of the RAM sticks & see if the problem is fixed?
    -Steve

37. cody davis

cody davis Private E-2

where can i get the drivers for free i have the same problem but mine occured when i upgraded to vistas any solutions?

38. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You should start your own thread. (the owners like it done that way here)
    You will find a "New Thread" button in the top left corner of the main driver forum page, here: Drivers

Post a make and model # if your PC is manufactured (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or your motherboard ID, if it is a build.
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds