No "shift" Function

Discussion in 'Software' started by NationalAcrobat, Nov 11, 2017.

1. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

Hello. Sorry if this topic has been covered. I am posting from my phone until i get this problem solved. Searching the forum has proven difficult. Just bought a new hp laptop (15-af113la)(win10). Among the multitude of other silly issues i have to resolve on this brand new machine is not having any shift key function. I cant enter my email anywhere until i can type the @ character. Thanks

2. NationalAcrobat

Note: i looked for "sticky keys" to be on in control panel but it is not enabled

3. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you purchased the Laptop NEW and it is in warranty (that even includes refurbished unless the seller noted any non-functioning parts) then get it fixed or replaced.

5. Stephen_c16

Now I'm wondering about the Caps Lock button...
    s.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The shift button works whether caps lock button is on or not. Always has. Try it on your own keyboard.

7. NationalAcrobat

Im sorry (someone is gonna yell at me as i keep missi g the deadline for editing this post. Upon further discovery: the buttons on this keyboard are not producing the typical results when "shift" is used. When i try to type [ i get ". When i try to type + i get }. Etc. I checked the keyboard language and it is set at US and the configuration looks normal. Sorry for replying and not editing

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You clearly have a non-functioning keyboard. If the system was newly purchased then get it fixed under warranty.

9. Stephen_c16

You can of course Copy and Paste.
    Highlight and right Click Copy.
    Click the Cursor where you want the character and right click Paste
    @

Perhaps that's all you need to do.
    Good luck,
    s.

10. NationalAcrobat

Ok bear in mind i just took this machine out of the box 20 min ago. Now i see that this is a foreign keyboard. The CAPS button shows "bloq mayus" and the right shift button shows "pausa"... so am i gonna be able to reconfigure this thing or am i gonna have to just send it back? Thanks to overstock.com for this disaster

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Send it back.

Eldon and Stephen_c16 like this.
  12. NationalAcrobat

I appreciate the help with this guys. Perhaps this post now belongs in the hardware section. But perhaps there is a software fix for this. Does anyone know if the keyboard can just be set to normal english function?

13. NationalAcrobat

I guess ill have to. :( Thanks

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You have had the only answer you need. Return it to the seller.

15. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Generally, you should configure your keyboard layout in Windows to match the actual keyboard that you use.
    Here is a general guidline for doing so.....it configures in French/Canadian, but same principle for English configs!

16. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It is:
    It's a Spanish keyboard. The configuration is different than a USA keyboard. Softwarewise, you will need to set it to Spanish configuration.

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

18. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Mild Adware site, it will tell you what your browser history wants you to see!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds