No Sound-Plug and Play Software Enumerator missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThomasK, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

Hello,:wave

I'm back again.:eek: I had a virus attack my drives, and once I thought everything was cleaned out I posted here for help with getting drives and sound back. I received help and a link to reinstall certain drives and all was well, or so I thought. A few days later that same virus showed up attacking drives again. I went to the malware forum and had help in getting rid of it for good. After that I went back to the link given me and reinstalled my drives again. This time, however, my sound did not come back. The yellow marks are gone beside everything listed under sound, video and game controllers and the properties show the device is working properly, yet it is still all grayed out and shows no audio device. I've been searching on the web and so far all I've come up with is that the Plug and Play Software Enumerator is missing and may be affecting my audio. Besides reinstalling the motherboard drive and Realtek these are the steps I've taken:

(1)
    Again, these are instructions on how to install the Plug and Play Software Enumerator
    in XP/2k -- if it is missing. If it isn't missing and works then this wouldn't be
    the cause of your audio problem.

From an MSDOS cmd prompt type or cut and paste

md \temp
    cd \temp
    copy %windir%\inf\machine.inf \temp\allmachine.inf
    copy %windir%\system32\drivers\swenum.sys \temp
    copy %windir%\system32\streamci.dll \temp
    notepad \temp\allmachine.inf

Using notepad go to line 22 (CTRL-G 22) which should be
    ExcludeFromSelect=*
    delete and remove that line wherever you find it (Line 20 maybe)
    and save the file

We're finished that part. Notepad and the cmd prompt can be closed. %windir% was
    probably c:\windows\ and that was automatically be expanded in the windows cmd prompt.

Now, just go to Add Hardware, add a new hardware device there at the bottom, install
    from list, next, have disk, and select the temp directory where we copied the files
    (c:\temp\ in the example here).

You should have all the different machine level services listed since we've removed
    the ExcludeFromSelect=* which hid them all. We only want to add Plug and Play Software
    Enumerator and nothing else so select and install only that.

***I couldn't find the different machine level services listing anything with Plug and Play...***

(2)
    Here's the solution that worked for me.

First check your System group in Device Manager and see if you see an
    entry called "Plug and Play Software Enumerator." If you don't see it,
    then I have the solution for you.

I remembered accidentally deleting Plug and Play Software Enumerator
    from the System group in device manager. I reinstalled it, and
    everything worked fine.

Here's how to reinstall it:

You'll need to find two files (try doing a Google Search)

#1. swenum.inf
    #2. swenum.sys

Then Add New Hardware, System Device, and have disk. Choose swenum.
    Install it. Reboot.

Voila. It should be fixed.

***I've searched only found swenum.inf to download, never saw swenum under System Device.***

(3)
    And, here are the basic steps:
    Go to System in Control Panel, Hardware tab, Device Manager button.
    Click the + in front of 'System devices' (near the bottom), and look for a line that says: Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    This fix will only help if you are missing that line, or if you have a yellow exclamation point on that line! If you have that line, and there's no yellow exclamation point, then stop here and look elsewhere - you've got a different situation.

Okay, now that you've confirmed that you're missing the Plug and Play Software Enumerator, or that it's broken:

Make sure you have the following two files in Windows (do a search - they should be there):

streamci.dll
    swenum.sys
    You don't need to do anything with them, just make sure they're there.

Then:
    1) Copy machine.inf from WINDOWS\inf to a temporary location
    2) Edit the temporary copy of machine.inf - remove the line that says "ExcludeFromSelect=*", and save the file
    3) in Control Panel, choose "Add Hardware"

at the 'Welcome to the Add Hardware Wizard' window - click Next
    at the 'Add Hardware Wizard' window (when it finishes searching) - click 'Yes, I have already connected the hardware', then click Next
    scroll to the bottom of the list of 'Installed hardware', and click on 'Add a new hardware device', then click Next
    click 'Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), then click Next
    click 'Have Disk...', and browse to and select the edited machine.inf file
    scroll down in the list of 'Common hardware types', and click on 'System devices', then click Next
    under 'Manufacturer' on the left, select '(Standard system devices)'
    under 'Model' on the right, select 'Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator'
    click Next

Once the installation is finished, and the Device Manager shows the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator under 'System devices', the audio should now work (no reboot required) - ah, joy!

*** I did a search for my computer only came up with streamci.dll. When I go into System devices I do not see (Standard System Devices) under Manufacturer or anything listing Plug and Play Software... I guess this isn't going to work for me as long as I am missing swenum.sys.***

I am at a loss as to what to do, if anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it.:)

I'm also including my Everest report for computer info.

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

How about a safe repair install of Windows? This link is to a 'how-to' step by step guide for a repair XP install.... just boot to your XP disc and follow the steps in the guide....

3. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

Thank you for replying. I have one problem though, they didn't give us the XP disc when we bought the computer. They said something about finding it in the computer and burning it ourselves. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for:confused any advice?

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The files you are looking for should be in your i386 folder and should be able to to extracted from there.

5. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

Okay, I found my i386 folder but am unsure as to which one to extract. Also, when I do extract do I extract into the same folder?

Sorry to be such a bother, but I am illiterate when it comes to this stuff.:eek:

6. ericharrison101

ericharrison101 Private E-2

Thomas, Thank you so much for this post. I had already spent 8 highly frustrating hours on the problem of getting sound out of my Audigy 2ZS on XP .
    Then finally I found this post. Solution No 3 worked for me thanks Thomas. Sound never sounded so good as when it came on after this fix. Sure worked for me. Thanks for sharing. Greetings from New Zealand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds