Non Functioning Icon Appearing On Every Appication

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcrawfor, Jan 28, 2015.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

For the past two weeks, I have a strange phenomenon occurring on my desktop. This happens about 10 minutes after booting up. A fragment of data, appearing as a small, rectangular black shaped icon (null icon)... appears on my desktop, located next to the date/time in the bottom right hand corner. I can drag the remnant anywhere, but I can NOT delete it... and then it appears ON TOP of every application I open. I move it to the top right hand corner, so it doesn't interfere/block the scroll down function on many applications. When I reboot... it's gone... but only for 5-10 minutes... then it reappears. The folks in the malware forum stated this issue should be addressed in this forum.

Here are the steps I've taken to attempt removing this aggravating icon:

Ran CCLEANER
    Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    Ran SUPERAntiSpyware

This is on a Win 8.1 system I've been using problem free for 18 months... using COMODO Internet Security software. I can't remember the last time I downloaded/installed software... except automated system updates and my security software updates.

Incidentally, I spent an hour online with COMODOs' GeekBuddy. All they did was to remove a few programs from starting automatically, reboot and thought they cured the issue.

Any ideas?? Thanks

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

hcrawfor...

I believe you are the 3rd person to come through on the board in the last week with this issue, so it's a known issue with Comodo Internet Security.

Try JoeRay's solution and let us know if it gets rid of the problem.

I recommend reporting the bug on the Comodo site, even though I am sure they know about this already. Keep up to date with updates for CIS, and I expect you will be able to use the desktop "Message Center" without the annoying desktop graphic sometime in the near future.

I second JoeRay's skepticism with GeekBuddy. I feel it's a good idea that unfortunately isn't as good in practice. It's not a scam per se, but I think you would do better to spend your money with Major Geeks if you know what I mean! :-D

:cool Major Geeks is free you know!

3. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

Thanks to ALL! This annoying, but non serious glitch, has frustrated me over the last couple of weeks.

The simple fix appears to be working. It's been three hours and no sign of it.

Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds