On Windows Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by zamorazeke, Jun 3, 2018.

1. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

When I startup Windows (7) then sign in I get a "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant message on my desktop and the Microsoft link it refers to go to is obsolete...so I don't know how to resolve the problem or get the message to not show on startup.

Anyone who can help I will gladly thank in advance.

Message on the screen is the following:

"There was a problem that caused parts of the Windows Live ID Assistant to be disabled. You might not be able to sign in to Windows Live in some programs. The problem may have been caused by a program that was recently installed. For more information, please go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=144689."

Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Press Cntrl+Alt+Del and end the task referring to Windows Live ID sign-in. I don't have it so I can't tell you exactly what process it is.

Next open msconfig (type that in the search/run box) and press enter. Click on the startup tab. Uncheck/untick the box in front of Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant. Click the Apply button at the bottom before you close the box.

3. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Thank you so much for your directions. I couldn't find it in the startup tab, but I DID FIND IT in the services tab and then unchecked the box in front of Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant. That fixed my problem and it doesn't show up anymore when I sign in to Windows on startup. YESSS! Again, many thanks!

baklogic likes this.
  4. plodr

I'm glad you were able to track it down. (Now if I can remember that it is an unwanted service instead of a startup item the next time someone wants to stop this "feature"!).

5. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Actually, what you directed me to do was FANTASTIC. When I couldn't find it in the startup tab I thought it might be in one of the other tabs...started by looking in the services tab, and...bingo. You've helped me before on some other problem(s), and I want you to know that I want to be like you when I grow up (I'll be 75 in September, lol). Another thing, I feel a strong affinity with you because of your screen name "plodr." That's a one-word story of my whole life. My name is Dan, and a professor in one of my college classes told me he told his other students that when they found themselves struggling with a problem to "...just DAN it." HA HA. Thanks again for your (more than once) answer(s) on Major Geeks. I'm sure you know by now that you're a VALUABLE member of the forums.

6. plodr

Thanks for the kind words. Well I'll turn 71 in July and hope I never grow up!

I picked my nym because I am a plodder. I'm a retired math(s) teacher and I guess I went into the field because I always liked solving problems. I've just replaced math problems with computer problems.

My husband swears I won't get Alzheimer's because the wheels in my brain are constantly churning.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds