One Hour Virus Scan Program Wanted

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ninefifty, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

Hi all,
    Can anybody recommend an anti-virus program that can scan a 500GB Windows 7 computer in about 1 hour or less?
    I will pay if I have to.
    I am currently using Spybot Search and Destroy and it takes over 4 hours to scan my pc even though I have it set to scan my C drive only and not my external hard drives too. Been using S S&D for years.
    I won't use Kapersky, Bitdefender or Comodo. I have tried them in the past and been disappointed. Those were before I got my pc reformatted.

Cheers.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

These days, I am using 360 Total Security.

Ninefifty and AtlBo like this.
  3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Spybot Search & Destroy is not an AV program unless a user pays for the premium version. But I have always had the free version installed for its browser immunisation. But out of interest, for the first time in years, I ran a full system scan with it on my 250gb SSD system drive on this laptop and it took 32 minutes. But it does NOT include extended AV checks unless you pay for it, which would be a waste of money. But if it takes 4 hours on your system I wouldn't even use it.

I have Comodo IS in real-time protection but I rarely use it for a system scan but I ran that and it took 28 minutes.
    Despite your experiences previously, Comodo IS Free is literally at the top of all reviews for Malware and Firewall protection. It's very hard to beat.
    I use MalwareBytes free version and generally run a full system scan with it about once a week and it never takes longer than about 25 minutes.
    I also have Superantispyware Free installed for similar full system back up scans and that takes no longer than Mbam does.

With what I have I have not even had a 'PUP' found in so long I can't remember when anything last found one.

The most important thing for protection against Malware is the real-time protection and not the scanning. And that includes Firewall protection and not just AV protection.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Has good signatures with the Bitdefender and Avira engines enabled.

You might take a look at Zemana Anti-malware. It's free as an on demand scanner and is actually very good. You will get some false positives, but it's good. Hitman Pro is not free but can also be kept as an on demand scanner in spite of the alerts to pay. These are the two best scanners imo, better than Malwarebytes for now...

5. Ninefifty

This wouldn't scan my system in one hour but on an overnight scan it found an excel document to be infected.
    Despite marking this as safe, it quarantined it.
    I renamed this file and found my renamed file to be almost have the size as the original.
    Fascinating.
    Looks like Total 360 for me.
    Doing another system scan now as an afterthought.

6. Ninefifty

Two hours and 24 minutes later and still scanning. Had to stop it. 36o Total.

7. AtlBo

Are you using a large amount of the 500 GB or do you have an older generation processor? Ran a scan with Zemana here to test on a PC with an i5 2400 and a 500 GB (using 67 GB) drive, and it completed in 14:40. That was with the browser open and running streaming video with the system using about 85% of the 8 GB of RAM. Probably would normally finish in about 10 min on this PC I think. 360 full scan is running and takes far longer under the same scenario. I think it would finish in 45 minutes if it had the processor to itself...

Zemana is a good scanner. It finds and quarantines files somewhat relentlessly, but all the scanners do this. There is grey area for the devs when it comes to what to remove, so it's a judgement call. I have found the program very reliable personally, and almost all of its quarantining has been for things that I would expect a scanner to flag. Mostly this has to do with types of files in unusual places etc.

BTW, 360 has a good system watcher element. Might be the best part of the program, although the sandbox is quite good in my experience too. Very smooth operation of browsers and MS Office apps...

Ninefifty likes this.
  8. Ninefifty

AltBo,
    I am using up half of my 500GB hard drive on dual core pentium processors on Win7.
    Zemana did my C drive in about 20 minutes - WOW!!!
    Hitman did it in under 15 minutes. Hitman doesn't give me the option of scanning other drives which is a pity as it does give 30 days free trial compared to Zemana's 15.

Looks like Zemana for me with licence purchase unless you can tell me how to get Hitman to scan other drives apart from the main C drive.

AtlBo likes this.
  9. TimW

360 has never taken more than 20 minutes on my system. Sorry about your experience.

10. AtlBo

Zemana will still work for you as an on demand scanner after the first 15 days. The trial you mention is for full time protection and the Pro version, which is pretty good honestly. This Pro version a little bit like Malwarebytes Pro used to be before MBAM 3.0. It uses the cloud service called Pandora to check files in real time against Zemana's database. There is also a scheduler you can use to schedule regular scans, so you don't have to open the program to run one. Not sure if the scheduler is in the free version (once the trial expires) as I have the Pro. I'd say it's worth the money either way.

I know very little about Hitman Pro so I can't say about scanning remote drives. I know you can keep it beyond its trial period, also, in spite of the trial ending alerts. Don't think Zemana scans remote drives unfortunately. I haven't found a setting for that anyway.

TimW, any chance that was a Quick scan? The full scan on 500 GB (67 used) + remote drives with 360 took about 2.5 hours here, but usually it only takes between 45 min and an hour. PC was running some other things.

Ninefifty and Eldon like this.
  11. TimW

No, it was a full scan. But admittedly, not a huge HDD.

AtlBo likes this.
  12. Ninefifty

On demand scanner no longer works after 15 days.
    I must be doing something wrong.
    Will buy full version soon.
    Sorry for continuing this thread.

13. Ninefifty

Whoops! Should not have posted. I have solved my own problem.
    I uninstalled the premium version I had, rebooted my pc with Spybot paid version (which had AV with it and 45 days licence remaining) removed too and ran the portable version.

Portable version is now running as freeware.

Question - should I continue using Zemana portable with Windows Defender or should I buy Zemana in support and have them give me real time protection?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds