Opinions needed regarding current DRM situation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tetsuo74, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Tetsuo74

Tetsuo74 Private E-2

Hello to Everyone,

I am currently researching attitudes to DRM technologies and Intellectual Protection Rights. If you have knowledge in this field I would be extremely grateful if you could answer my short Questionnaire linked below, any details you supply as to your position and identity is at your discretion.
    Many Thanks,
    John

DRM & IPR Technologies Survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=761162019800

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

While not strictly a software technincal help question, I have moved your post into the lounge ( did ponder my logic in doing this, knowing the lovely crowd in here ;) ) but thought if any of you feel like answering this questionaire then feel free.

You doing this for school/college/Uni project course John?

but serious replys if you post in the thread as I think all this IP and DRM rights mularky will bite us in the ass at some point similar to political correctness, in th enear future.

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Interesting topical minefield. Legally there is a difference between copyright, trademark, patent, etc., and each has their own set of rules. The distinctions are not brought out in this survey but I think that there is a case for formulating a single legal framework for simplfication. Of course nothing today can predict what should be protected in the future as technology and media evolve fast beyond the strict dictats of law.

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Personally...I think it is your god given right, that if you buy it and keep it in the confines of your own home, then you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it!!!! Provided that you don't start up you own pay for admission theater in your basement!!!!

And that's all I've got to say about that!!!!

Roger

5. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

I've mentioned it before, but here is the best argument I've ever seen about digital rights management, and property rights management in general. From a commercial book publisher that does indeed have a stake in the arguments.

http://www.baen.com/library/

Ultimately, DRM won't stop theft, but it will limit the LEGAL uses that a user can enjoy with his/her own "property". It won't stop sharing, but will cause major annoyances to the honest consumers.

Thieves will always find some way to steal what they want. Honest people will generally keep paying for what they get. The overall honesty of a society has more impact on this than the technology used to "thwart" theft. If the number of honest people, willing to pay for what they get, diminishes below some critical threshhold, quality content will simply dry up as nobody will be paying the artists and the "evil companies" (they're not) to keep creating.

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I agree with G.T.!!!:)

7. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

DRM the most evil thing in the world,my opinion anyway......

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Unless, of course, they turn out not to be evil after all. Then people won't mind giving them money ;)

I don't like DRM at all. I think it's a waste of time. If you really want people to stop copying your content - make it worth buying. It's that simple. If a CD has a couple of alright tracks and a whole load of really crap ones, I wouldn't want to buy the CD. I might like to have the one song that I like though.

If you get some really nice packaging, extra content, and other exclusive information which you could only get by purchasing the CD, as well as a CD full of really GOOD music, THEN I would want to buy the CD.

9. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

I agree 100%. Almost every Victory Records CD I have bought over the past year has come with a DVD that features recorded and/or live videos of that and/or other Victory bands. It's genious, because it adds value to the CD, making the purchase more worth the money, and it also is a way of promoting their other bands.

With the exception of Victory or any other label that includes "extras" with their CD's, I will continue to not purchase music. The reason is not because I'm cheap, it's becuase frankly I don't like or agree with any of the DRM schemes presently out there. Everything from rootkits to games that can physically damage your optical drive!!! No way! Almost makes illegal downloading the safer choice.

As far as I'm concerned, there are no decent DRM schemes yet. When they finally come up with soemthing decent, I'll buy. Untill then I'm not going to spend a dime on something that might not play on one of the devices that I own. Sorry, I'm not going to buy five vesions of a song so that I can listen to it on all my devices. Please...:rolleyes:

-evil

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds