Opinions Please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joffa, May 4, 2018.

1. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

We don't have wood shingles over here and the closest to shingles would be slate as they are overlapped and nailed on like shingles. Our tile roofs the tiles sit on battens and lock together and only a couple of tiles per row are wired onto the batten. The wired tiles hold the other tiles locked to the batten. Most roofs in Australia are either galvanised steel, colorbond steel or baked clay roof tiles or glazed baked clay roof tiles.
    Fibro cement used to be very popular in the 1950s because it is so cheap but is not used any more because it contains asbestos.

2. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Here all kinds are still available. Flexible shingles usually asphalt, fiberglass and mineral mixed. I spent some years doing metal buildings with galvalume metal panels. Metal panel here are made also to copy the look of tiles and slates. Many choices. I have enough of some in a 'sea fog' color to do the street side when it comes to it.

3. Imandy Mann

Nice place by the way. Glad you found a keeper!

joffa likes this.
  4. joffa

Hang on.....asphalt...on your roof o_O Crikey over here the roads are made of asphalt and they go soft and melt in hot weather so how does that work? Maybe they are only used in cold areas so melting doesn't happen.
    Wouldn't they be a real fire risk when if the house catches on fire. Over here bushfires are a regular occurrence with several major fires happening every year so we tend to have roof materials that hot ash and embers can fall on and not set the house on fire.
    Hmmm .........metal roofing that looks like tiles........isn't it just as easy to have real tiles and only pay a bit more money :rolleyes:

5. Imandy Mann

Not as heavy, the metal tiles. I've put on pallets of tile before and believe me the weight is different. But metal roofs here are good for 30 and probably more years. We actually see more just straight panel (no fastener seen) standing rib it's called. The ribs are male and female that lap over and are then seammed with a roll former. Kind of like if you clenched your fist. I've seen many still in good shape after a hurricane while shingles right besides when flying like a deck of card!

Look at Laurar's roof. It seems to be the heavier architectual fiber shingles. I believe a 20 -30 year product.

@LaruaR - nice house also! Looking at the roof I suspect it's in snow country?

joffa likes this.
  6. joffa

Hey that is it and thanks for the insight Imandy Mann.......I remarked we don't see such big gables on houses in Australia when I replied to Laura's post........we don't see much snow over here :rolleyes: thanks that is the reason for the steep gables....snow :):cool:
    The only areas here that see any snow is in the alpine regions on top of a couple of mountains but there are no really big towns in the alpine areas....more small villages and ski lodges that people only use for holidays.

7. Imandy Mann

I just saw in her post that it cedar shakes! Hard to tell in the photo.(Oh - there is a metal copy for that too. Would be awesome in a copper-kote metal.)

8. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

@joffa interesting. In the US square footage is simply measured in feet, length multiplied by the width , 75 ft x 40 ft = 3000 sq. ft.;) Nice size house!

I find the "Tiny House" fad amusing. I just can't vision raising kids in a tiny house of 200 to 300 sq. ft. :eek:

joffa likes this.
  9. Imandy Mann

I've been in construction here where the plans called for the metal studs to ride in a deeper top track and not screwed off but kind of floating. When the super call the architect (from up north) he said it was for snow loads! We're in Panama City Florida! What were they thinking?

10. joffa

Hehehe yeah likewise.... kids need space to run around....the only time I lived in a small place was when I moved out of my parents home at 20yo and into a first floor 2 bedroom apartment with my fiance. Between the jerk downstairs that used to complain whenever we walked around our apartment and the crazy lady across the hall that was always screaming at her 3 kids and also she cooked the worst smelling food from which the smell went from her rangehood out the side of the building just down from our balcony so we got to smell it most of the time. This early experience made up my mind to always have my own place on a decent sized block and away from neighbours as soon as I could afford it. I bought my first house at 24yo.

We raised our two kids in our current house where we have lived for 27 years. We have a big 6 bedroom house with a large yard and also there is a big park down the street so the kids always had plenty of space to run around with the dog. Our current house is also in a cul de sac so there is no passing traffic so very safe for the kids when they were young.
    As it gets closer it will be a bit emotional as we have so many good memories here :):cool:

11. joffa

The only experience with snow I have was when I used to go skiing and I stayed in either a 36 bed ski lodge or in an apartment in an 8 storey hotel complex but I was much younger then and looking more at the girls than the buildings :rolleyes:;)

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Wait...you have a putting green in your back yard?? Are you going to keep it? I hope so. :)

Do you like to garden?

My mom came with me to see the house (fyi...hubby hasn't seen the inside other than the photos, which sounds crazy, but he loves the street and area and I guess trusted me) and saw a framed drawing of the people's dog which was a Norwich Terrier. She claimed that was a sign it was meant to be. lol

I'm in the northeast in Pennsylvania. Most homes up here have 2 floors. We also get a lot of snow. If you head down south you will tend to see less steep roof lines and more ranch one floor type homes.

Yep We'll have to maintain it more than we would have a traditional asphalt shingled roof, which comes in a variety of colors. Here's an example of asphalt.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  13. joffa

Hey Laura we could play chip and charge from the BBQ area:rolleyes: You could pretend you are in a deep bunker and hitting up the 4 foot bank to the green........yeah we will keep it for a while but after I put up my big workshop next year the green will probably be part of the vegetable garden my wife wants. My wife loves to garden and is very good with plants. I like to pay the lawn mowing man to do the mowing and weeding although I like sitting out in a nice garden and I like being surrounded by trees and native birds.

We have a lot of 2 storey homes over here because land is so expensive. My block is 1,480 square metres and most new blocks are less than 400 square metres so to fit a big house on a small block it has to be 2 storey. They all still have low angle gable roofs but then we don't have any snow here.....unless there is a really heavy frost it never goes much below 9ºC and right here it is winter and it is midnight and rainy but still 14ºC and we call this bloody cold :)

Never heard of asphalt shingles before Imandy Mann mentioned it ......over here I would presume they would melt on our 42ºC days ;) but they might be heat stabilised somehow. Over here asphalt is used on roads and goes soft on hot days and melts on really hot days so now they put something in the asphalt mix called screened road base which makes the asphalt stronger in high temperatures ;)

So what do you have to do to the cedar shingles? Do they rot or crack and need replacing? Surely you don't have to paint them or coat them with something.......our new house has a colorbond steel roof which is good for about 30 years. Our current house has a tile roof that has been untouched since it was built in 1972 which is 43 years and it is still going strong....the gutters were replaced in 1996 but the roof was untouched.

I really like the look of your house and it is so different to Aussie houses. It looks quite stately and regal and sitting on 1 acre of land amongst those nice tall trees it will be heaven.....maybe your mum is right and it is just meant to be ;):cool:

14. LauraR

So you like to take advantage of the fruits of her labor. :D Nothing wrong with that.

Even if I weren't terrified of heights, I wouldn't be getting up on our rooflines. I never thought of the snow aspect, but that must be it, because most are not anything you'd want to walk on. We get up to 95 F (35 C) here, so thinking the heat is not an issue, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about them.

We'll have to hire a company to keep the cedar roof preserved. I don't know much about them. I do know if you want them to last as they should, you need to take much more care of them than regular asphalt. I think the life of them are equal if you do. This one was put on in 2012, so only 5 or 6 years old, which is good.

I love tile roofs, but I highly doubt they'd work in our area. Too cold in the winter for them I think.

I love the look of yours too. When I saw the outside and inside I thought how modern and European it looks.

Fyi...just looked up 42 C....holy sh*t...that's hot! (107) Yikes. I think I'd melt along with the roofs in that type of heat.

15. joffa

Yep I like the fruits of Mrs Joffa's labours and I don't mind helping with the garden but I don't like to make a habit of it ;)

Over here you can pretty much stand on any roof as they are all low angle or flat. Tile roofs are good and when it rains they are really quiet and they perform well in high winds. Lucky our new place has lots of insulation in the roof space because tin roofs are noisy when it rains.

Yeah it sure can get hot over here Laura. I think the Victorian record is 46.2ºC in 2009 and this is 115.2ºF although Western Australia gets temps up to 50.7ºC which is 123ºF .....lucky it is only this hot a handful of times every decade :eek:
    Tile roofs over here usually have a thick aluminium foil layer to help insulate the house and provided the membrane doesn't get too many holes it works well to prevent drafts through the roof taking away the heat in winter. My new house has 7 reverse cycle Daikin split system air conditioners and ducted gas central heating so we should be comfy all year round ...... Mrs. Joffa likes to turn the thermostat to "S" for sauna......but for me, I like to have it set for 20ºC which is comfy :)

Hey Laura, that asphalt shingles picture looks cool but what happens in a strong wind? Do they start flapping or even blow off? I guess they are nailed to sheets of wood or something because how would people be able to walk on them to do maintenance if they weren't fully supported? It is hard to tell from the picture but they seem very thin.........hmmm I think I'll stick with steel or tiles ;)

Crap...... all the power has gone off here.......just checked the letterbox and there is a notice that the power company are doing line work and the power will be off for 6 hours.....lucky I have a big UPS :cool:

16. LauraR

lol... Strong wind is fine. We get 'Nor' easters' here (https://www.weather.gov/safety/winter-noreaster). Those type roofs are no maintenance and very durable. The roof tiles are completely attached. You can lose a few, but they are easily replaced.

omg...and people are okay with that? That wouldn't fly over here to have the power company just shut power off.

17. joffa

Those Nor easters don't look too good.....brrrrrr.....we sometimes get storm systems that blow in from Antarctica and they have really cold winds and usually hail stones.

Power companies over here pretty well do what they like because only one company distributes most of the power. You can pay your bill through many companies but they only buy the power at wholesale from the distributor and resell it to the users. When the power company wants to turn the power off for maintenance they just do it. The local businesses get angry but nothing seems to change.....Lucky it was only off for 3 hours yesterday :rolleyes::mad:

18. Imandy Mann

What in the world about people with home medical machines/ devices? Do they just have to have a generator. I know some folks with machines that need operating all the time and they're not necessarily mobile enough too get out to crank a generator and move plugs around. I know auto switch-over backup is available but that is an expensive option over here!

19. joffa

If you have a medical certificate that says you need power 24/7 for life support equipment then the power company will provide and connect a generator prior to doing any work. Usually people with medical equipment have a UPS that will keep their life support going for several hours in case a car hits a power pole or something.
    If the power companies are planning work they tell these people first and ensure they have a continuous power supply but everyone not so much.......in my case they put a note in my letterbox probably the day before work started.
    Hmmm....lucky I don't have a big fish tank like one of my friends. He has a very large saltwater tank with a coral reef and colourful reef fish and if the 5 air pumps stop for more than 15 minutes then some very expensive fish end up stressed and dead.

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Awesome stuff Pete and you both will love that home, as looks epic as we both know the end kitchen area, not office but Wine Rack area? :0)
    Colours of the rooms just perfect, the garden area as I mentioned before in thread or email is superb. Congrats to you and better half on a great choice.

HoleyCrap LAURA, thtat house is my type of home, so looking up flights now! hahaha, love it you Vic and girls will love it I know, congrats.

joffa likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds