Pc Frequently Acts As If The Back Button Or Undo Button Was Hit.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gigtime, Nov 15, 2017.

1. gigtime

gigtime Private E-2

Hi, I've done a full malware check and been sent here because it looks like a hardware issue, specifically my mouse. I have a Logitech Performance MX mouse that shares a Logitech unifying receiver with my Logitech K800 Keyboard. The mouse is probably 6-7 years old.

I'm running a homemade desktop running Windows 10 Home 64 Bits version on an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400@2.66GHz2.67 GHz with 6GB or RAM. A few weeks ago, I did a clean install of Windows and reinstalled all my programs. That's when the problems started.

Throughout the day, my browser will suddenly respond as if I clicked the back button. It happens in both Chrome and MS Edge browsers. I'll be typing something and suddenly (Funny enough, it happened just as I was typing this.) It can happen, as it just did, without me touching the mouse at all.

It isn't, I believe (just happened again to give you an idea of how often it happens), limited to browsing. I'm pretty sure it's happened in MS Word and Powerpoint, too. In those programs, it behaves as if I've clicked on the Undo button or the cursor suddenly jumps to an earlier paragraph while I'm typing.

According to Logitech's site and Device manager on my PC, I have the latest drivers. The mouse is fully charged. Just to give you an idea, the issue happened four times while entering this message. Fortunately, when I clicked to return my message was still intact.

Any suggestions?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I own a very, very old wireless keyboard and mouse combo, also Logitech. I had issues with the keyboard and decided it was not worth the aggravation. I use the mouse but I use a wired keyboard.

First, you need to figure out if it is hardware or software. There is no point wasting time trying solutions if you don't know which it is. I'd suggest trying a wired keyboard just to see if it is a hardware problem or a software problem. If the wired keyboard behaves, you know it is a hardware problem with the wireless keyboard. If the wired keyboard does the same thing as the wireless, then you start looking at software issues.

If it turns out to be a hardware problem, then you decide if it is easier to replace the 2 unit set or live with a wired keyboard for awhile.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree with ploder - replace the keyboard and mouse (at least temporarily) and see if the problem is still happening. You might also check your Ease of Access settings to make sure "Sticky Keys" was not somehow enabled.

Note that it is common for the tension in mouse buttons, and keyboard keys too, to weaken over time. This prevents the key or button to fully return after being pressed. They just wear out.

4. gigtime

gigtime Private E-2

Thanks, everyone!

I want to monitor it for a couple more days but it looks like I've found the solution. Apparently, the issue is interference from inside the PC effecting the Logitech receiver. It was suggested I remove the reciever from the USB port and attach it to a USB extension cord. I used a 2" cord and so far, knock on wood, I haven't had problems.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That happens, but is not supposed to. It often suggests a bad ground connection somewhere. Simply moving your dongle to a different USB port pair (away from other cables, if possible) may do the same thing as your extension cable.

You should also check to make sure all your data and power connections are tightly secured. Make sure all mounting screws are tight too. Also, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

6. gigtime

gigtime Private E-2

I was already using the front USB port which is away from other cables. If this works, I'm fine with using the extension. I've gone almost 24 hours without an issue and it was happening every few minutes prior to me adding the extension.

I'll double-check everything including mounting screws. My gear is going through a CyperPower UPS with a line regulator and I'm using a line conditioner from Monster for the TV next to it. Everything looks good there and I'm not having any audio issues that would usually issue a ground issue. I've got a recording rig feeding this machine and I'd hear probably hear a buzz but I don't. But, again, I'll re-check everything. Again, really appreciate the suggestions!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds