PC Tools---Threatfire Removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by avondude, Oct 4, 2008.

1. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

I have tried to remove PC Tools Threatfire from my computer---have used recommended removal tools and Revo---went into regedit and removed all entries relating to PC Tools and Threatfire---removed all folders, etc. ---everything I could find---it is still running---however does not show up anywhere--CCleaner---add and remove programs---Revo---folders---regedit---no where!---it is still running as it still deletes Prevx and shows as an antivirus running in my Windows Security Center---OMGoodness---would love to get this thing out of my system---have re-installed and tried to remove to no avail---seems it is impossible to eradicate this from my system---PC Tools does not answer any of my e mails---2 months worth of writing and asking---any more ideas for getting rid of this program????---PLEASE???---Windows
    XP---SP3---Dell XPS 410---2GB Mem---

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmmm.... that sucks.... :( maybe try using a rootkit remover? They can detect, deactivate, and remove hidden and deeply rooted processes and programs. There's another app called Delete Doctor that will mark files for deletion and remove them when you reboot....
    I just went to the PCTools Contact page, and they have some phone numbers listed in North America, Europe, and Australia. Maybe call 'em in person and see what they have to say.
    Good luck!!!

3. avondude

Thank you dlb---going to try that remover you suggested---will let you know---

4. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I had a malware problem recently and used a lot of anti virus programs. After I resolved the situation, I had trouble removing some of these programs. I finally tried deleting them in safe mode and that did the trick. I'm fairly certain Treatfire was one of these programs. :)

5. avondude

Thanks!!!---It worked---don't have a clue what I did but it worked!----Thanks to Mark Trent and Jud149 and dlb---it was driving me nuts---

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'm interested to know why you consider it useless. I have installed it a while ago and while it doesn't appear to find anything, it doesn't cause me any grief.

To quote from PCMag:

I'm :confused :confused Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds