Please Help. Desktop Icons Move All Time

Discussion in 'Software' started by loafty, Sep 16, 2017.

1. loafty

loafty Private E-2

How on earth do I prevent my desktop icons from moving on each reboot? I have Windows 7 64 bit. The icons all stay in the desktop link but randomly change positions, this has only started doing this as before the icons never have changed order, I haven't installed anything new on computer etc. I have tried several things as suggested by a google search but non seem to work. Is there a definitive fix to stop this behaviour?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right-click Desktop and ensure the following.
    • View - Auto arrange icons is unchecked.
    • Sort by - All items are unchecked.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The only time my icons move is if the resolution is wrong. I have 2 computers on a KVM switch. If I turn the Windows 2K on before the Win 7, the resolution on the Win 7 is wrong and the icons are huge and all over the place. (I rarely fire up the 2K computer but when I do, it is a pain). I can fix the resolution but the icons are no longer where I want them to be.

To offset the annoyance of moving one icon at a time to where i want it to be, I've installed DesktopOK
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/desktopok.html

I create an image of where the icons are and it is saved by date. When the images are all over the place, I simply restore the arrangement on a particular date and everything is where I want it to be.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Forgot the screenshots...
    D_1.jpg
    D_2.jpg

5. loafty

loafty Private E-2

hi mate, Thanks for getting back to me. Everything you have said to do I have already done and still doesn't help, got me beat whats is going on, Thanks anyway

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Sounds like something is changing the screen resolution, as plodr is saying. Are you playing any games that use graphic effects? If so try having a session without them. Other software can do this too. I use TeamViewer and that sometimes upsets the desktop arrangement.

7. loafty

loafty Private E-2

hi Earthling,
    No I am not playing any games, nor have I installed any thing new for quite a while. Am thinking about installing the DESKTOPOK program that plodr mentioned as I can't find what is the cause of it. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds