possible malware

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by easemypain, May 20, 2012.

1. easemypain

easemypain Private E-2

Hi there.heard about this site from a friend.highly recommends it to everyone that is having computer problems which is what finally brings me here.Not sure where to go from here.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

3. easemypain

easemypain Private E-2

Hello and Thank you LauraR.The reason I haven't downloaded anything yet is partly because I'm not sure if I have Malware or a redirect.My Yahoo homepage is filled with ads,games and other junk.Under tools/manage add-ons there is something called friendschecker that I can't disable.Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Welcome to MajorGeeks, easemypain.

Is this an add-on for Facebook? Does it not appear in your "Add/Remove Programs" listing?

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yes, as dr.moriarty mentioned, it looks like it's a Facebook app. There may be more than one of them depending on spelling, but I did find this:

If you think you have a redirect, you can check out this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=230267

6. easemypain

easemypain Private E-2

Thank you LauraR and Dr Moriarty.The friendschecker is listed in the add/remove programs.I'm not sure if it is the problem or not.I thought it suspicious that I couldn't disable it in the manage add-ons list.When I click on a tab under one of the adds on Yahoo homepage I get a window from openappmedia telling me I have to remove a program to get rid of openappmedia but,I can't find which program it's attached to.Thanks again.I hope you know how much your help is appreciated

7. easemypain

easemypain Private E-2

Just to let everyone know.I finally got up to courage to download the uninstall for Friendschecker and removed it from my computer.ran Windows Defender and McAfee,all came up clean.Rebooted and have been useing computer all weekend with no problems,ads or games.Thanks to everyone for their support and helping to ease my pain

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds