Pretec 16gb usb flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pepsi100, May 7, 2010.

1. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I have just bought one of these PRETEC 16GB USB FLASH DRIVE, and I have a problem with it already:cry

I was copying files and folders to it, when it came up with an error message (delay write failure)

I rebooted, opened it up and the folders were there, but empty, okay not a problem, I thought, I'll delete them,and put them on again, oh, no chance:-o

I have tried deleting them,
    I have tried formatting the drive,
    I have tried 'unlocker'
    I have run 'flash drive/ card test (this took nearly 8 hours)
    I have tried to delete these files both with XP and Win 7
    What can I do to get this thing to work, properly or delete the files ?

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions ?
    Thanks

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have been looking around and found that this flash drive has a password and fingerprint security protection.
    I don't know the model my self or how to change the codes but i will keep searching and hope someone who has used on of these give a hint.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/10117/pretec_idisk_flash_drive/

3. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I wasnt using any security on it (never used it) just copying files over, you have to set up the security on it or just bypass it

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

OK then we need to delve deeper into the problem.

5. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I'm running this program Flash Drive/card test v1.14 (from www.vconsole.com)

But that is going to take 8 hours or so, it's supposed to take 8 hours going by the countdown time on it (and I dont know if its going to be succesful :cry)

Hopefully it will have done its job, by the morning

I havent been able to find any real info on it, even the makers website support questions get bounced back or comes up with an error (they are in Germany)

Maybe another flash drive destined for the bin (it maybe buklletproof, but if its not working, its junk)

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

7. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

8. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Anything else I can try ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  9. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I have run both programs, nothing came upp with failed, It came up with write protected on one of the programs, so its back to square one

Still cant access anything on it to even try the read me file

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

the killdisk one you make a CD/DVD of it and then boot from it ,then you will see all the drives on your PC, you select the one you want to work on and it will kill everything on it.
    You then format it in the normal way.

11. Jordan Rivers

Jordan Rivers Private E-2

12. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

13. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

made the disc, tried to format it, didnt work, still locked up, and write protected :cry

14. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Well Pepsi i am now at a loss, i have never known Kill disk not to get the job done, but i will keep looking.

15. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

All your work and advice is really appreciated, thanks

I've done various searches, but non relate to this particular stick:(

16. Jordan Rivers

From the looks of it, could be a tough nut to crack. It seems there are a lot of people having the same problem as you with not being able to format their Pretec. As of yet, I haven`t seen any solution. I guess you could always do the contact Pretec service and support. From their website.

E-Mail Tech Support
    (Be sure to include the product name and model in the Subject and a detailed explanation of the problem/question in your e-mail message so our technicians may have all the information needed to give you a quick response.)
    pretec_fae@pretec.com

17. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I tried contacting them, the emails got bounced back, undeliverable, even tried their home company, in Germany
    It would be a great bit of kit, if it worked:(

18. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Sent them 4 emails, all came back with this response

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

pretec_fae@pretec.com

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dont think this will work but worth a try anyways, use Windows 7 for this, first off unplug the USB pen, then open Device Manager up and open the Universal Serial Bus COntroller branch up, then plug in the USB pen and Dev Mgr will flash afew times as it recognises the new drive, when you see it (likely listed as a Mass Storage Device) right click and Uninstall it.

Then unplug and replug it back in to reload the drivers, once done, need to open a CMD windows (but this needs to be an elevated one, so in the start search box type CMD and then right click it and choose "Run as Administrator"

once the CMD window is open, type the commands below in bold and hit enter after each one, do note as Diskpart is very powerful command you need to keep an eye on what disks are listing as typing in the wrong disk # can erase your main HDD and not the USB,

Diskpart
    List disk

at list disk do note the sizes of the drives, the smaller one is likely your USB, but to test all you need to do is unplug the usb pan and type list disk again and it will have disapeared, then plug it back in and type again listdisk and it will re-apear note the disk # and a screenshot from my PC so note that top list disk is with USB pen as Disk #3 at size of 7999MB is the USB drive and bottom list disk is with the USB pulled out and just my HDDs, so my USB pen is disk #3, your will be different
    [​IMG]

select disk # and enter the number of the disk in lieu of the # in my case above it would be select disk 3, as in select disk 3 yours may/will be different.

clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32
    assign
    exit

is an outside chance of working but worth a try

20. Jordan Rivers

Sounds like may be they got tired of listening to complaints.

21. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I think its actually knackered, I cant add or delete anything to it, keeps coming up with write failure (its ays I/O error)
    Even if I try a really small file (like a picture), it fails, same goes with a larger file, say a song, and even with a folder, just wont take anything

22. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

You could be right there, from some of the PM's I been getting there are quite a few people with the same problem (and they seem to be watching this topic):)

23. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Now I really dont know if this will shed any light on this 'thing'

But I have copied and pasted the 'spec' from the website I bought it from

(http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/Pret...ve-i-Disk-Bullet/mainproduct/view/32102-NA/10 )

Pretec i-Disk Bulletproof ruggedised USB 2.0 flash drive is constructed of a rounded double layer of metal protection. i-Disk Bulletproof was built to be
    tough and was constructed to be resistant to water, fire and any "heavy" impact. i-Disk Bulletproof was subjected to many extreme environments,
    testing its durability even on a shooting range to finally demonstrate that
    the product is truly bulletproof. Capacity is up to 16GB.

i-Disk Bulletproof is all you need to secure your data.

Key Features
    - Resistant from water, fire, bullet and any heavy impact
    - Ultimate guard 256AES encryption
    - Totem pattern on the metal housing
    - High capacity: 1GB ~ 32GB
    - Special software inside, including Mobile Locak and Security Zip (i-Disk Secure only)
    - Mobile Lock: Lock the PC/laptop for preventing others from using the PC
    - Photo Slideshow supported
    - Security Zip: Encrypt/decrypt files and create all by password
    - Compliant with USB 2.0/1.1 specification
    - Applicable to most popular computer O/S, including Windows ME and above; Mac 10.x and above

24. Jordan Rivers

Hmmmm, I find it strange that they would advertise it as 16gb, but in the key features it states high capacity, 32gb. Also with what looks like 3 different types of security features on it, it`s almost overkill. To me too many things to go wrong.

25. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Pretec make various sizes, from 2Gb upto 32Gb,

I didnt enable any of the security on it (maybe thats what's wrong with it)

I only wanted a 16Gb drive for storing programs, photos and a bit of music (mainly programs I had downoaded, mostly freeware)

Only reason I bought it was it was cheap and small, and waterproof, it was everything I needed, apart from the security:(

I am calling them on Monday about exchanging it

26. Jordan Rivers

Yea, if it`s under warranty I would return for sure. It doesn`t sound like any traditional ways of getting it formated/unlocked/un-write protected are accomplishing their mission, and you have had some good advice from everyone. What`s that old saying, "Welcome to the World of Electronics", you just never know. Let`s just hope their phone # hasn`t been turned off like their email.

27. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Its going back to the internet store I got it from, they got a 14 day warranty on it:)
    Just wondering, when I get the replacement, should I delete the security or format it BEFORE I put anything on it ?
    Instead of just putting lots of files all at once, do smaller ones, make a folder first, then copy the files to the folders ?

28. Jordan Rivers

I`m sure opinions will probably vary. I have 2 flash drives(diff manuf) both smaller than yours, have never formatted them, and have had no problems. If that thing comes with any kind of manual/instructions, I think I would read, and follow them. As far as the security part of it goes, I couldn`t venture a guess as I have never had a flash drive w/security on it. What I did when I got mine was to ease into it, plug it in, and make sure it is recognized as what it is, put a few unimportant items on the drive, unplug the drive using the unplug/remove hardware safely icon (always). Plug it back in, make sure it is still recognized as what it is and that all info is there and accessable. Then remove/delete the items to make sure those functions are working properly. Move some unimportant things onto the flash drive, then move them back on your hard drive. In small increments, and taking my time is how I put my info on my flash drives, and did it over a period of time, and after every increment, I checked to make sure the info was there, in tack, and accessable/transferable to my hd. Like I said earlier in my post I`m sure opinions will vary as to your questions, but this is how I approached checking out my flash drives and putting info them. Good luck with the new one you get. You`ll have to stop back by, and let us know how it goes with it.

29. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Dont worry I'll be back to let everyone know how good that shop is and if I managed to change it and as things never run that smooth with a PC or laptop, I'm sure I'll be back at some point

30. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have 3 16gb sandisk flash drives that all come with their own applications and security but i had no trouble removing and formatting the apps.
    This Pretec is a whole new breed of beast and i am sure Pepsi is not the only one having problem.

I have spent hours searching for an answer but there does not appear to be one at the moment.

As suggested the best thing is to return to the store and ask if it is a defect or a bigger problem that is my opinion from the fact they are not responding on their website.

Good luck Pepsi.

31. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I have just got my replacement, but before I do anything with it, can anyone give me a bit of advice and what I should do with it now ? (I have copied one picture to it with no problem, but I dont want to copy any programs or folders, just yet, due to the problem I have had previously)

It has this security thing on it, (I dont really need any security on it)
    Do I delete this ? The security is 'UltimateGuard')

There is a 'guide' on there in PDF format

This is nothing like any other drive I have ever bought (I only bought it for its size (16Gb)

I have been on the pretec website to try and find out a bit more info on formating it or adding files, but the website is pretty rubbish and dont really give anything away

If I can find out how to attach a file, I'll upload the PDF file on here and maybe someone can have a browse and let me know their thoughts/ideas on it (ah, I just tried but its too big to be attached)

Not sure if I can send it as a PM, though

Oh, well, thanks to anyone who replies:)

32. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

The picture I uploaded to it cant be accessed now rolleyes

I put it in a folder, it was there until I took the pretec out, I removed hardware safely:) now it has failed:cry

Now this isnt looking good, if it cant save a 2.5 Kb picture, what chance have I got saving anything important ?

33. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

I have got a replacement drive from the internet shop

I formatted the drive BEFORE I put anything on it

Coppied over a couple of files, removed the drive, restarted PC, inserted the drive

The files are there, but HEY, they are now write protected and I cant add or delete anything with them now or the drive

It has got to be the drive is rubbish, or something I'm doing is wrong (But its no different from anything I have done before with other drives (and drives with bigger storage)

Has anyone got any more ideas what I can do to get this thing to work ?

34. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

35. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Now I don't want to be picky or sound as if I am criticizing you, but everything that you have suggested has been done, manual downloaded, tried to contact pretec (start with the first thread, rather than the last)

The file you have asked me to download was on the pretec already, along with the security thing, nothing in it suggests it will become read only

The dam thing is a piece of junk, I have a survivor, now, twice the size, no hassle, no problems, it does what it is supposed to do, store files until they are moved

UNLIKE the pretec, which saves the files, then makes them read only, they cant be deleted, the drive cant be formatted, its rubbish

There is no point in contacting pretec, their mail bounces back, and that is wityh copying and pasting their address, or even using the contact me page, but all in all, its made in China

Just wish that if anyone else has one of thesae things, they would post in here

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  36. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The file I linked you to has a release date of June 17th 2010 (it is the 17th in China, even though it is still the 16th here) so I doubt whether you have the file.
    There is also a version 2 of the software with the date of the 17th June 2010, so you would probably have v1 something of the software. Perhaps v2 corrected some problems? Since your device sounds like it is basically unusable, it might be worth a bit more time just to see if you can get the drive to work at all.

The device uses 256 bit AES data encryption, so I suspect you need to decrypt before you can gain access to whatever you put on the drive.
    Note: I never encrypt anything simply because I'm afraid I will lock myself out of a file or directory!
    Anything I consider that important, I never store on a computer or a portable drive.

37. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

The software doesnt really do anything for the drive

I formated the drive BEFORE I put anything on it, I dont need or want any security thing on it, christ why, I dont work for MI6,MOD, or have anything that needs locking up

Nothing I have tried will format the drive, its dead, cant do anything with it, cant delete anything, cant add anything

38. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

We are grasping at straws now but having tried Kill disk (untill now i have never known that fail) download unlocker and manually delete all files on the flash drive then format and hopefully we will have some progress.

http://majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

39. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

Unlocker didnt work, BUT I found this program URescue,

It wiped out everything, then I used windows to format it, it now works, but I'm reluctant to put anything of value on it, just in case it becomes read only

But if it does, I have this program that will wipe it out and I can start again

But really cant see the point in that:-o

If I put anything on there, it may become unusable, then I wipe it, the cycle could go on for years:zzz

I'm going to copy a stack of pictures on there, and leave the drive out for a week or so, see what happens, then (it will be 10Gb worth)

Oh, well it looks pretty, shame it dont work so well:cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds