Probable scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Oct 20, 2015.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So I just get an email from a guy I use to do some landscaping at our house once a year (in the spring).

Here is the email:

[​IMG]

Now, obviously there was no way I was clicking on this since he hasn't done anything for me since spring and there is no way he'd be sending this email. Here's the scary part though....I send a reply back and say that I got this and either its a scam or it went to the wrong person. I actually got this in response:

Ummm...yeah, okay. rolleyes

I went back and checked the link and it goes to some brazilian website that sells guns.

I deleted the email. I tried to call the landscaper to let him know, but the phone number I have is out of order. I have a feeling people are going to get scammed with this one. :(

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

These common criminals are fearless.
    About a year ago I received an email from a law firm that employs ± 980 attorneys, and it's a Fortune 100 Company. The email attachment was malicious. I contacted the COO of said firm who replied that their email has been hacked. Within a week I received 2 more emails from law firms - same story.

Consider this... a law firm that employs 980 attorneys has the financial resources to take down a government, and it doesn't need to consult a lawyer to sue someone. ;)

This is the aftereffect of too much, uncontrolled freedom, and protection from the :***
    The Internet is in dire need of a makeover.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose." :major
    Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Got a scam message left on answering machine the other day that said I may of done business with a company that is being sued for fraud and the caller said he wants to help me recover my money. Yeah right!rolleyes I am pretty sure he wants my money.:p He did no say what the name of the supposed company is. I will not be calling him back.

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

"plus or minus 980 attorneys". I like the concept of negative attorneys! :-D

5. Eldon

6. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

This happened two years ago and it was a very testing time :(
    The MD of the national company I work for got a linkedin request from a close friend of 30+ years who had just moved on from a very senior job at a major international textile company and was now setting up a new business venture in the same field. Our MD happily clicked on the request and as he said to me later nothing seemed to happen. Hmmm..... yes well rolleyes
    As the company IT Admin I got an urgent critical alert from one of our interstate web servers saying our servers would be permanently locked down in 5 minutes if we didn't comply to our terms of service immediately. I quickly logged in and found our MD was transmitting 50,000 scam emails an hour and our server was taking a hit on 5,000 return mailer daemon bounced emails an hour. F***
    I called our provider and asked the network engineer to put a high level filter on their firewall to minimise any further collateral damage and to lock the MD's accounts and access until further notice. Checked the MD's laptop and found it was running on remote control under Linux (it's a win 7 Pro laptop) Whoa rolleyes hadn't seen this before so then disconnected him from the internet and cleaned up the pc. Turns out his win 7 Pro was now running in a Linux shell on a newly created partition and as I wasn't sure what else I was dealing with decided on a complete secure reformat and then restore from our backup image. Laptop fixed ;)
    Then on to the nightmare of our interstate server. That was overcome by blacklist exclusions and whitelist inclusions and a new profile filter to reject keyword emails on his account. Because we are a National company with International trading ties closing his email account and starting afresh was not an option. It took three months before the crooks in "an eastern bloc country" lost interest in having another go. The problem really compounds and becomes diabolical when the crooks get all your real world static IP addresses and it is impractical to change them due to all manner of secure VPNs that we have set up between all of our third party interstate offices and showrooms. We also have several secure VPNs with our International suppliers in USA, England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Germany, France, Sweden, New Zealand and several locations in Asia.
    Interpol had no luck tracing them although they did identify and close down 8 proxy servers located in Holland, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Russia but the trail ended in the USSR as the crooks were either too clever for Interpol or had paid off the right officials so nothing would be found.
    Talk about a nightmare and if I ever found the mongrels :boxing:guns:guns:boxing

So Laura all I can say from personal experience is these things can get bad very quickly so deleting it was the best response. If it was real it is no problem to have it resent ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So, more gubment regulations and censorship is the answer? :-D

I guess if they send out enough of these someone will click on the link and send them info.

8. LauraR

Dayum...that is extremely sophisticated! I've never heard of that before. That's crazy.

Yep...that's what I'm afraid of. I told my friend who recommended to guy to us, but that's the only one I know of that I could warn. I am ashamed to say, I sat there for a good 10 seconds and thought about it. I'm usually really good at spotting phishing scams. This one threw me for a second. And btw, I was in Outlook, so only saw the big red warning things in the pic above when I clicked on my gmail account. It's too bad those don't come through with the email into Outlook.

9. Eldon

Do any of you really know how many people have your email addresses?

Until about a year ago a friend forwarded every humorous email she received to me. My one sister did the same. But, those emails were send to them and 10 other people. Every email I received contained the email addresses of 10 people who don't know me. At one point I had about 1000 email addresses in my emails of people I don't know. And many people use their real name and surname in their email address, and on Facebook.

On another occasion I received an email from a friend inviting me to join Twoo. The email had her name, surname and picture. When I found out it's a dating site I phoned her... she didn't have a Twoo account! Someone created an account using her name and surname, and probably grabbed a few of her pictures from Facebook. And now she has a Twoo account she can't access - she doesn't have the password. And an invite was sent to everyone of her contacts.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/03/us...ocial-network-says-its-just-not-clear-enough/

10. LauraR

I think I've mentioned before in other subjects, I'm really not worried too much about the email stuff, personal stuff, etc since as soon as you choose to go online, you choose to put yourself out there. Even if you don't go online, as soon as you buy anything from any retailer your stuff is out there. It's just a fact of life. Hopefully security will catch up sooner rather than later.

As far as the scam emails... I'd say I probably don't see 99% of it since I think most email providers have a good spam filter. I'm fairly seasoned at knowing the scams.

This one that came from a personal email that is used for business definitely got me for a second. I didn't click, but I thought about it. I think these are the ones that tend to be scarier.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

When I moved last time, instead of signing docs with the broker at the office on several occasions, I clicked to sign the electronic doc that stare the thread. It is similar to the ones I was signing.
    Point being that the realtor was forwarding these docs, through her little phone, and I had no choice in a manner of speaking.
    To date and 9 months later there is no fallout but I consider myself lucky.
    Any of the many docs could have been a problem.
    I have no conclusion , just a sense of insecurity about practices that are becoming common place and costing tax payers. I mentioned that his insecure machine was not the means for online banking and he barked back that he had FDIC coverage. I then asked him who ultimately paid for a violation- he didn't personalize it, or really did not want to get it.
    Hey, its only money. :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds