Problem: Fonts Appear Faded

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gauge, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Gauge

Gauge Private E-2

My computer is an HP Pavilion with two 3.0 GHz processors one gig of ram and a 260 gig hard drive and a 160 gig hard drive and a flat screen LCD monitor. I am running Windows XP Media Edition 2002 with Service Pack 2. Since this is my first technical post I do hope that is enough system information. Please inform me if it isn't.

My problem is a strange one and anyone I have asked has said they have never heard of such a thing. My problem is this: It seems that my font's look funny like parts are faded. They are not sharp and solid like they should be. It is more obvious when viewing a bold font. Also, it does not appear to affect the one game that I play (Bejeweled 2) but other than that it appears that every program is affected.

I thought that it might be a corrupted video driver so I downloaded the most recent one from the manufacturer and it did nothing to solve this issue. Also, I did try to see if the 'Smooth font edges' option (I think that is in the folder or IE options menu) and that did not work either.

I have, oddly enough, had this problem before and the only way that I fixed it was to reinstall Windows which I do not want to do if it isn't necessary. Has anyone seen this problem before? How do I go about fixing it?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do they look fuzzy around the edges?

Try this Right Click anywhere on the desktop thats blank and choose Properties > Appearance Tab > Effects and tick "Use the following to smooth the edges of screen fonts" then choose from the drop down list "Cleartype" > OK > Apply ( or also set it to "Standard" and see if that is better )

Also what screen resolution are you using?

If you can post a screenshot of what your seeing in relation to the fonts that may help us as well, its always best to see what your seeing.

3. Gauge

Gauge Private E-2

The screen resolution is 1024 x 768.

Your suggestion about changing the effects seems to have worked. It was set to Standard and I changed it to Cleartype and they look like what I am used to.

I thank you for your time.

Now I can move on to different problems with my new system. :eek:

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Glad that worked Gauge, also you can use this small tool to fine tune ClearType if you so wished http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

your ClearType will now be switched on so just click next on the First Page.

Yep start a new thread with new question in the appropriate section of the forum and someone will be glad to assist, I'm sure of that :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds