Recommend me a fast light-weight browser?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I need a couple of suggestions from my fellow geeks. I just got an old nc4010 up and running. Spoiled from the currently comatose gaming Monster, the nc4010 seems to me to be very slow when I browse the web. Since The Monster is comatose there is a shortage of computers in our house, so I do a lot more on the nc4010 then I expected to do when I first set it up.

Would you guys mind recommending me a light-weight and fast browser, low on resources and high in functionality? I use Firefox 3 right now, out of habit, but it drags its feet a little bit. I have looked at Kameleon, but although I tried really hard to like it, I just couldn't stand the interface.

Oh, and has anyone tried Chrome, and does it fit my criteria?

2. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Opera is pretty fast and has been around for a while

3. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

I have been trying out Chrome on one of my computers at work and after managing to sort out some language issues I run XP Hebrew it. No I am note changing to it yet.
    I use Firefox on four of my five computers at home need I say more. The fifth one is on an old laptop running Windows 98 and I am using a very old copy of Opera there. I really must get rid of that one. Minefield I have only tried for a day so no comment just yet. So as I say it Firefox for me unless you want to use Firefox Lite I use it on my disk on key. It very "lite" on resources

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Mimsy, maybe try Avant Browser 11.7 Build 9 at http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avant_Browser_d2346.html

I haven't tried it. Only 1.95 megs. :major

Bazza

5. Mimsy

Thanks everyone! Checking out Avant now, and trying to rethink what I thought of K-Meleon. :)

update:
    Avant installed a plugin without asking me first! :eek

I'm going on the assumption that I misunderstood what happened, especially since MGs recommends this browser, but it really freaked me out. :eek: I do like the skins and the speed, but I don't like that I seem to need the mouse to use the menus. I need to find a way around that... I'm on a laptop. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. bigbazza

I use an external mouse and keyboard for my laptop. Hate touchpads and laptop keyboards with a passion. :-D Bazza

PS: An even smaller Browser, :-D TheWorld Browser 2.3.0.7 at http://www.majorgeeks.com/TheWorld_Browser_d5898.html

Once again, a new update today at www.majorgeeks.com and I haven't
    tried it. :-D

Bazza

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have been trying out the new version of Opera and it's faster than FF,it takes a bit of work to get used to the format after FF and i have not been able to get the spell check to work (it's third party) but other than that i like it and it will transfer all you bookmarks from other browsers.[​IMG]

http://www.opera.com/

8. Mimsy

One big complaint with Avant: It would not transfer my bookmarks. Lame.

9. bigbazza

Mimsy is after a lite weight Browser which is why I have suggested 2 small alternatives. BTW, latest version of Opera is available at http://www.majorgeeks.com/Opera_Without_Java_d559.html
    Keeps it in the MG family. ;) It is a BETA release, though. Bazza

===

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The reason i put the home page is that version 9.5 is not beta but you have the option to download 9.6 if you wish.

the MGs version is just the beta

11. ssulaco

ssulaco Private E-2

I have an older Dell (600 mhz) I to upgraded to FF3 and had intermittant high CPU usage,there was a tweak for this issue in mozilla forums but dont recall what it was,I backed down to FF 2.0.0.16,its rock solid and fast, right now on MG,FF is using 55m of ram.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

12. bigbazza

Thanks ssulaco for your post. It made me check out what Opera v9.52 was using on my XP Pro SP3 laptop. A surprise. Usage was less than 55 megs of RAM. See screnshot.

Attached Files:

13. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Have you used about:config in the address bar with FF3. www.tweakguides.com has a good guide for Firefox under Quick Links. I always do that right after customizing the toolbar and editing the preferences.

14. ssulaco

ssulaco Private E-2

15. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

I have now been trying out Minefield for three days since my last post as so far I have been very impressed it is very fast and most certainly better than Firefox 3 beta.

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds