Removing AVC CPU Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zoozle, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Zoozle

Zoozle Private E-2

Hi guys, i'm just wondering if anyone knows how to remove an AVC CPU cooling fan? I was adding more RAM to my PC and noticed how dirty it was, so I tried removing it to clean but just couldn't figure it out. I've tried to Google it but can't find nothing that relates to it.

I don't know alot about computer hardware, but I have cleaned other PC's CPU cooling fans with just 2 clips that pop up, no problem. Here's a pic of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry I can't provide anymore info about this but I know nothing else about it other than that's what it looks like :p. I'm just hoping somebody has worked with one of these before.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. Zoozle

Zoozle Private E-2

Hi, I found out how to remove it. I've never encountered one like it, was easier than I thought :p.

Just incase anybody else has this problem, press down on the steel platform looking things and pop it out from the bottom.

Thanks,
    Tyler

3. atomen

atomen Private E-2

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just can't seem to be able to remove my AVC CPU cooling fan. Mine is identical to the picture that Zoozle posted. He said you should press the 2 "metal pins" on both sides to make it "pop out".

I've pushed really hard on them at the same time. But I dont dare to use more power since the motherboard might collapse.

If anyone else has any experience in this it would be highly appreciated with some help.

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Usually the fan itself is locked down to a plastic base thats also connected to the heatsink, and therefore you can remove the fan by bending back the four plastic tabs that lock it down at the four inside corners without having to remove the heatsink. The fan tabs sit along side the tab arms, two to a side.

If you do remove the heat sink you will have to clean both the bottom of the sink and the cpu with rubbing alcohol (you can get a big bottle at any drugstore) and apply a new very thin layer of thermal paste. So until you have some thermal paste you should not remove it.

The way that sink locks down, is on the side with no tabs near the base there are two slots, one for each tab and hook type connections at the bottom that you manually set in place first and then press down on the other side with the tabs to lock the whole thing in place. When free, the top tab part would stay relatively in the same position but the bottom section of the tab pole swings out away from the sink. So to lock it on you would press down on the tabs and then push on them so the bottom of the pole swings inwards towards the sink and there are hooks that then connect under the sink to lock it down. So to remove it you not only press down but you also have to kind of pull your fingers towars the top of the sink to make the bottom of the tab pole swing out away from the bottom of the sink. I wish I could just open an image editor here and draw you a picture, adding oneto the post is a real pain.

http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sinksideshotwh9.jpg

maybe this will help

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  5. atomen

atomen Private E-2

6. johnim

johnim Private E-2

I was baffled as well so I visited the local computer store and figured out how. It turns out it is easy BUT there is a trick.

Basically, the cooling unit is held down to the black base (that's attached to the mother board) by two clips.

These clips looks like upside down "U" shape.
    At the tips of this clip is a little hook that holds on to the black base mentioned above.

You should see two (or more??) tabs.
    Press down on these tabs and you should feel little bit of spring to it.
    While pressing the tab, reach down gently pullout (away from the cooling unit) the leg that extends below the tab you are pressing down on.

Do the same for the other one.

That's it!!!

Now, when you are ready to put it back on. You need to first clean the top of the CPU and bottom of the heat-sink and apply a small amount of thermal paste (heat gel) on top of the CPU before installing the heat sink and the fan.

Make sure you don't over do the gel so that they don't leak out and create mess on your mother board.

Also, YouTube has many videos posted on CPU fan install and removal. Although I didn't find one specific to AVC design but you can get some hint.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds