Replacing Motherboard And Os; Which One First?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GSGregg, Dec 22, 2017.

1. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well- some progress !
    I had to get some info on-line, to save my brain racking (so long since I used XP as a system) and hopefully give you a bit more help
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/eb5a7002-b09c-4c7f-9e85-73ed93a95c35?auth=1
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
    2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If you have not set a password for the admin account simply press enter
    5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r > press enter. (Note there is a space between the letter k and the forward slash).
    6. At the conclusion of the scan type exit > press enter.
    7. Restart your computer.

Microsoft Partner Network Member
    Tech-Geek
    another method.
    Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer (the disc you created will work fine)
    When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
    Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
    Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER:
    When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    [Type Y in response to this message.]
    Enter Load Identifier:
    [This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]
    Enter OS Load options:
    [Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
    After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.
    After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry. SEE LAST PARAGRAPH BELOW
    MPnbkx4z2 replied on 2012
    That worked. Many thanks.

Tech-Geek replied on 2012
    I would also recommend you perform the following procedures.
    Download Malwarebytes. Update Malwarebytes and perform a quick scan. Choose to quarantine anything found. Once complete -download Superantispyware Portable. Perform a quick scan again quarantining anything found.
    Question Info
    Views: 11714 Last updated: February 14, 2018 Applies to:

ALSO
    From https://neosmart.net/wiki/hal-dll-missing-corrupt/
    The command box should look like this

If you are now getting a second XP instalation showing, then
    Click Start
    Type msconfig in the search box or open Run
    Go to Boot
    Select which Windows version you’d like to boot into directly
    Press Set as Default
    You can delete the earlier version by selecting it and then clicking Delete
    Click Apply
    Click OK
    Restart your computer upload_2018-2-15_16-57-26.png

If you choose to delete a version from the Boot tab of msconfig, that Windows version won’t be deleted, but it won’t be displayed on the Windows Boot Manager screen.

2. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Well, in an effort to eliminate the most time-consuming items first, I now have hard copy of everything from post #68 through your reply (#101)...including today's linked articles. Maybe I'll be able to put it to good use for the next eight-plus hours...

Last night's fiasco:
    5 attempted normal boots with none getting to the Windows XP screen;
    15 retrys at clean-installing XP to the new harddrive, with most freezing at the early part of 'Setup is loading files', and 3 or 4 lasting until 'Copying files to installation folders', only to freeze by 45% or earlier;
    and several tries at entering Safe Mode with the warning about the 'hal.dll' error blocking the F8 command - and without Windows running, I can't replace that file...

I wish that neighbor would either come up with that computer, or let me know that I should just buy one.

Where's the Donate button? (for you, and the site...) Thanks again for your patience...

Gregg

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Don't even try to replace the hal dll ---The links I gave were regarding the hal dll error - try the method pressing R for repair, and follow through with chkdsk /r,
    and then with bootcfg /rebuild
    A shewn in post 1011
    As far as I am aware there is no Donate to majorgeeks site, If you use it, and allow adds, and cookies, then that helps.
    Everybody on majorgeeks is voluntary, and their only interest is to help others master the Windows Operating system, and other related problems, and we all get the greatest pleasure, if we manage to get you up and running, or, find/give advice to the best of our knowledge to enable you to solve any issues- because, in the end, you will actually be doing the physical side of any solving your problem in person.
    There are excellent geeks on here, with a wide variety of knowledge, and any of them will try their best on anything about that which they have particular knowledge
    My 'nickname' baklogic', ( derived from backwards, logical, as that was how I started to understand Windows, starting with XP, and up to present WINDOWS 10) and my underlying reference to the tinkerer, is because I have tinkered where some would not -
    All we ask , is your patience (of which you have shewn a great deal) and to keep us informed ,and it helps others who may have a similar problem.
    As you have worked so hard on this old pc, it would seem a shame to spend on a new pc. One thing about doing the work you have, is that you have gained some knowledge- have had a load of practical experience.
    You never said if you tried the new psu, yet- ??
    I am assuming that both the hard drives that you have are used - ??

4. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

I thought that's what was meant by, "Please re-install a copy of the above file" as in, 'from the disk'.
    That's what I did, although bootcfg /rebuild came up first in NeoSmart's Fix #2, 'Manually attempt rebuild of boot.ini', so I ran it first ---and got,
    'Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows Installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.
    Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.

NeoSmart gave chldsk /f , which was a non-valid parameter, but /r worked, and I expanded hal.dl_ to hal.dll---and got the same error, but with ntoskrnl.exe. I expanded that, but got an all-caps WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\(forgot the name)\(forgot this one too) with no extension specified and no way to look it up, so I gave up...

Pleezta meat chew...71-yr-old retired musician who turned an auto-mechanics hobby into his living for the following 20 years. Didn't get into computers til Sept '09 (first internet account) and was inspirationally challenged when it came to picking my User Name, which is derived in part from the '66 Buick Skylark I've owned since Nov. '78 (475K miles on two engine rebuilds - original block, heads, crankshaft and carburetor---High mileage isn't old age; it's PERSONALITY!).

I put the PSU in the night I brought it home (see post #96); as far as I can tell, bluescreen crashes are gone (although the freeze/kill-pwr-to-restart phenomenon remains...I just hope there aren't hundreds of new minidump events waiting for when I can again get into Windows...

The current harddrive is the new Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata that I intended for my final upgrade, but decided to use for all this diagnosing/thrashing rather than format the files out of the Western Digital 80GB IDE that was original for this '08 build (took several years off, though, following a DIMM eruption back in 2011---total use to date is just over 4 years).

Getting short on time, so off to the large-bottle-of-Seagrams store...or not; don't drink like in the music days...

Gregg

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

'66 Buick Skylark I've owned since Nov. '78 (475K miles on two engine rebuilds - original block, heads, crankshaft and carburetor---High mileage isn't old age; it's PERSONALITY!). Sounds like me,
    Are all your ram sticks working O.K ?- ---, have you tested them to see if the problem persists -- even try one of the new ram you bought, as I believe you are trying with one of the old sticks -
    If trying to newly instal XP on the 500gb hard drive.............
    No doubt you have done so many times, BUT, start again, if you have had no luck, and choose full format on the 500gb hard drive -NFTS
    Then, as we are still unsure if the cpu, or,motherboard are giving a problem- Shut down, and let it cool down as I said previously.
    Then if the cd gives you the option again to format, choose quick format (NFTS) If it does not, just carry on and install XP
    The reason is just to know that the system as a whole is cool enough not to be part of the problem (cpu overheated previosly may have affected cpu, and motherboard)
    There is always the possibility that the XP disc itself may have some minor damage, whilst being used over the years
    The Windows 8.1 disc you created - it is possible you missed the boot from dvd, as it can be so quick, or, may be faulty as I believe you said it did nothing -- another one might be O.K as I assume you have the key for it.

--I re-checked to see if I was missing something.......................XP PRO SP3- ----SHOULD SEE HARD DRIVE ---AND INSTALL O.K
    XP spi might have been a problem - but you have XP PRO SP3 (sp1 only finds 132gb , I seem to remember)
    Windows 8.1------------ditto

The 'hal dll' problem is boot ini problem-----------------------boot /config , and chkdsk r should fix that.
    boot /config will run fixboot, and fixmbr-with you pressing y to agree if Windows managed to install, but will not boot,
    and if all goes well, it will boot on re-starting.

BUT -looking at the good part- only the motherboard and cpu are now possibly at fault, the one old ram is possibly O.K ?
    So your new cpu and motherboard (when pins re straightened ) should be good to get you updated.

40 years ago, I wanted to chuck the pc out of the window-I hated it - But, after being stung by the merchants in the business a few times, I was determined to learn, and I am still learning, only, and now, if someone wants to discard one, I will ,90% of the time, save it for them, and never charge them anything- sometimes a packet of ciggies- I just like to make them work.

I hope you didn't need too much from Seagrams to get the urge to carry on and beat this pc......

6. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

I tested the Corsair DIMMs with memtest86 before switching to the Crucials, and am currently using both Crucials, as using a single one improved nothing (just adds/subtracts a few watts of TDP, right? With the 550W PSU in there, things should be rosy...)
    As it was brand new, formatting was unneeded(?), but took place anyway...maybe I hit the wrong button? Anyway, the last clean-install attempt, and closest to success, was Tuesday (post #100). The recent Repair attempts have been on that partial install...
    My deer-in-the-headlights memory recalls options: Install XP, Repair Existing Installation, and Quit(?)
    I wouldn't doubt the CPU being roasted, but it's the only single-core processor that I have for the 661 mobo, and the dual-core mobo is the one with the bent pins...and I seem to recall using chkdsk on the DVD and having it come up clean...if that's trustworthy.
    I forget what occurred with the first 8.1 attempt/s---have to go back and re-read...
    I've tried fixboot, and (if I remember) it warned me about a potential non-standard or invalid something-or-other and possible loss of accessibility to files, so I backed out hastily.

Forty years ago, I think arcade Asteroids was chronologically just around the corner...or was it PONG...

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Please expand the quote above to see my replies on your last post as they might not show in full
    Until you get your new motherboard sorted, we are basically trying to either repair the XP original hard drive using
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
    2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If you have not set a password for the admin account simply press enter
    5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r > press enter. (Note there is a space between the letter k and the forward slash).
    6. At the conclusion of the scan type exit > press enter.
    7. Restart your computer.

OR, WE are trying to install XP ON THE NEW HARD DRIVE, OR, EVEN WINDOWS 8.1(If your disc is O.K)
    So, Don't panic Mr Mannering- (English actors part in a war time comedy about home guard) Your boot ini, or, lets call it the startup problem, iss because the BOOT, AND VERY LIKELY,THE MBR IS CORRUPTED, Just try it !! AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO START ALL OVER , IF ON THE NEW HARD DRIVE, IF YOU DON'T GET ANY JOY

8. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Hello, yet again! Monday the 21st was a holiday (combined for the birthdays of Lincoln (12th) and Washington (22nd), so the Library was closed. However, my nephew was in town, so I went down to his place and we downloaded Easy Recovery Essentials (your 2nd link in post #101); I have both CD and flash-drive.

After running ERE, though, things were no different from what they were after W-XP Recovery Console; the printed log of several pages is impressive, but it scrolls out so quickly that I couldn't keep up with it, and the language (Visual Basic, or something like?) is alien to me (I have enough trouble with English...). There are three options; regular(?), VGA Mode, and Safe Mode, with all three logs ending with:

Mounted /dev/ cd0* at path cdrom That's c-d-Zero - not c-d-Oh!
    mdmfs: mdconfig (attach) exited with error code 1

'Deer-in-headlights' again...

I gave up on Repair, as the average time before freezing (or is it hanging? It can often restart with the Reset switch, rather than only by cutting power at or before the PSU). Sometimes (especially when cold/first boot) it freezes after the BIOS/CPU I.D. without advancing to 'Detecting IDE Drives', which is usually almost instantaneous before often-extended times to populate the list (HDD and DVD - 2 drives out of 6 slots).

Again attempting ten to twelve clean-installs from XP disk, the best I got was 45% of files copied to Installation folders, not even sniffing the 39 minutes of Devices, etc.

The halo-style magnifier desk lamp which I may or may not ever use a second time will probably cost more than another AsRock 775i65G R3.0 motherboard, so I'm leaning mobo...I will try rebuilding the MBR, though, just to see what happens. The hal.dll and, presumably, ntoskrnl.exe, have reattained their roles as obstacles to bootup, just when I was set to try bringing back \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Keeping cool; I forgot to mention that the side panels are left off, and CPU temp is down to 41*C, with system temp at 32*C. I can't see how cold it really gets, because by the time DELETE gets me into Setup, things have had seconds to warm up.

Mr. Mannering needs a computer that will install updated Players so He/I can catch missed episodes of Doc Martin and Luther on the local PBS station...

Gregg

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

This post is now so long that I doubt anyone else will want to read all the way through it- and you could do with extra input, as well as mine
    You said---
    "Mounted /dev/ cd0* at path cdrom That's c-d-Zero - not c-d-Oh!
    I am now clutching at straws-
    That brought up debugging, when I tried to look around for clues, and that might need some other geeks advice, if it is the case.
    The only thing I can think of, is have you a spare dvd rom ?-If using the old one it could be the laser inside it is failing and misreading, or, the dvd rom is suspect.

I will now say start a new thread, as I know there are more qualified geeks at majorgeeks on debugging, if that is the problem- especially using the command prompt at start upon repair mode.
    I will still follow, and help if I can-
    Start with
    Question in XP about
    "Mounted /dev/ cd0* at path cdrom That's c-d-Zero - not c-d-Oh!

GSGregg likes this.
  10. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

I thought the 'cd-zero, not cd-O' being red would differentiate it effectively from the rest of the line/s...guess not.

You've definitely bent over backwards trying to help, and it's much appreciated...I think it's time for a break. I tried fixmbr and fixboot,and both wrote successfully with no problems; then chkdsk /r showed no bad sectors---but hal.dll is still blocking boot progress, yada yada...time to shop motherboards...

I bought 2 used CPUs for the 775i65G, and the Pentium D945 got here first, so was the first guinea pig---and didn't work. The other CPU, a Core 2 Duo E7600, turns out not to fit (E6700 max), so the hunt is on again.

I'll be in touch when I have something interesting...(Good grief; a 'Like' button---how many times have I overlooked that!?)

Gregg

baklogic likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds