Restaurants And Spoons

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by harmless, Sep 23, 2017.

1. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

i'm not around here that much now a days... real life gets busy sort of thing.... and i ran out of my email jokes.

but last night reminded me of a disturbing trend that i have noticed over the last decade or so...
    unless one orders soup or coffee, restaurants just don't give you spoons anymore. you'll get 2 forks, but you won't get a spoon, and a spoon is my favorite utensil. and then last night, there was no spoon with my coffee, and i had to flag down the waiter just to get a spoon to stir my coffee... and it's like... when did the heads of the national restaurant chains get together and decided that spoons were taboo... i feel that it is somehow a conspiracy to deprive us normal folk a useful eating utensil, but i'm not sure how to prove it ;)

the other thing i have noticed over the years is my inability to smell the food in a restaurant. unless i stick my face in my plate, i just don't smell the food. what made me think of this.... over my life, i've worked in a few large office buildings. there's a huge floor of cubicles with a kitchenette at the far side. the moment some one sticks that 2 day old slice of pizza in the microwave, the smell of that pizza slice radiates over the entire floor... in like seconds. yet, i can walk through the door of a restaurant, and not smell anything. the only way i can make sense of this [ not like it will save the world on sunday ] has to do with the HVAC systems, which much be completely superior to the HVAC systems they put in office buildings. which then got me thinking about sick building syndrome and if office buildings used the same HVAC systems that restaurants used, it just might alleviate some of those issues.... well... ummm... nevermind, just had to get it out of my head :)

anyway.... here's to the day when sporks rule the culinary world!
    toodles

DavidGP likes this.
  2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Guess it depends on where you go to eat(?)

Most Cafés/Restaurants will bring the utensils upon you ordering and before service of the meal.

Some top restaurants (old style with white table clothes) will have all utensils and glassware with napkins laid ready on the table. And depending on what you order, will remove/exchange utensils/glassware.

Reckon it’s an environment thing (save water), why have extra washing of utensils that are not used?;)

Down here, over the years, there have been complaints and law suits of restaurant food smells permeating through a building, particularly if found offensive, and in some cases, people becoming ill from smells.

(Same type of complaints, have been used and won against the smell of cigarette smoke in apartment/office buildings – here, now, we’re pretty much a smoke free zone in restaurants, pubs, beaches, just about anywhere public I do feel sorry for smokers at large crowded events where blocks of streets are closed for entertainment/venue event and becomes a NO SMOKE ZONE.)

So, I'll reckon, you’ll typically find it’s the air con type used to avoid such complaints.

Cheers

LS

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Not in my part of the US. You get 1 or 2 forks and a knife. I've noticed this at quite a few places: higher end restaurants, middle class restaurants and lower end neighborhood diners.
    I'm assuming it started to save water by having to wash fewer utensils. It also cuts the dishwasher's time down - a person has to spray the utensils before they head into the mechanical dishwasher.

I've taken to ask for a spoon. I also ask for a glass of water. Some places only serve water on request. I drink at least 1 glass of water with all my meals.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I agree on the type of restaurant you go to. At least in my experience. To me, giving everyone a spoon outright is like giving everyone a soup spoon. Unless you are ordering something that requires a spoon, why would you do it? Beverages that require stirring, pasta and dessert are about the only things I can think of offhand that require a spoon. I'm sure there are probably other things, but not many.

Same with water. I don't think there's anything wrong with not serving water to everyone. A restaurant should definitely ask first thing if people want water...but why waste it and why dirty glasses if you don't have to.

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I assume by not bring spoons and water to the table unless necessary the restaurant saves some money.
    A few years ago many fast food restaurants stopped giving long straws in large drinks. Just by not having long straws the restaurant was supposed to save a lot of money in a years time. In this economy businesses cut costs where they can.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I never gave it much thought until now. I went to a local Mexican place earlier and just noticed they didn't include spoons in the tableware.
    [​IMG]
    Spoon Man!

legalsuit likes this.
  7. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Wow! I'd love to have that accountant if he can predict on such a fine item!

OMG! :D I remember seeing that somewhere. Popular during the Fifties I think.

8. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

i guess, in my thinking, i don't understand the saving water and washing time aspect, if i'm given 2 forks, and there is almost always 2 forks on the table.... how many forks does one need at an applebee's or some other national chain?!!
    anyway, i just find a spoon more useful. good thing i did not grow up in a culture that uses chopsticks... i would be skinny as a rail :)

9. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Understand where you're coming from...we go to/from water restrictions and very big on environment/save water here...As for utensils on tables, particularly some beach front outdoor cafes, only knife, fork, napkin on table - no spoons - then if less people sat, utensils removed. Others have no utensils and again, place utensils once people sit down...there is a variance of who does what next door to each other. As KitKat pointed out, people make savings from different reasoning...so cut back on staff, less to worry about setting tables.

As for chopsticks - can't eat Asian food without them...(got taught by an Asian friend how to use them;))

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Generally speaking, in South Africa there are no cutlery on the tables.
    After the orders have been placed (before the meals are served), the correct eating utensils will be brought to the table.
    When you order tea or coffee, you'll get a teaspoon (don't try and be funny and ask for a coffeespoon :rolleyes:).
    When you order dessert, you'll get a dessert spoon.

If you'd like a glass of water, just ask. :D

Another issue is the lack of a fish/seafood knife for people who eat left-handed. :eek:

And now I'm hungry...

baklogic likes this.
  11. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I get what you're saying. How is anyone saving any water or time by giving two forks instead of one fork and one spoon? I understand etiquette says one is a salad fork and one for the entree, but here's the thing... the forks given are rarely different from one another even at higher-end restaurants, and certainly not at chains, which is what that same etiquette requires. So if I'm being given two identical forks, and also don't order a salad, why do I need two? Wastes just as much time, water, and etc. as if they'd given me a fork and a spoon... both of which I'm probably going to use.

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

This makes a lot more sense.

I've been to restaurants where the table is set and looks nice with the typical stuff and then after people have ordered, they take away and add other needed silverware. These are high end places, though, and wouldn't be feasible for most places, I guess.

Another thing I don't get is lemon in water. Lemons and limes are relatively expensive...at least in my grocery stores. Obviously, restaurants get them bulk. Why are you not asking people if they want a lemon in their water. I take it out and it makes me crazy because it then still tastes like lemon. It just seems to me like that should be another thing people should have to opt in for.

13. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

this drives my mom crazy, too. that, and the un-readability of the menus for us older citizens borders on ludicrous.

14. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I find it annoying when the menu is on a blackboard on some wall...depending on where you're sitting, impossible to read!

15. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Not every one knows that in most of these places they have Air vents above the stove that sucks out the smells from the stove or oven.

And be leave me they are not fun to clean.

I worked at BK a long time ago i was the night porter there for like 4 years and you would be surprised on whats on the floor in some of these places.I hardly ever go out to eat any more.Due to the fact i know what goes on behind the scenes.

16. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Found myself taking extra note of what utensils out over the weekend around Manly (Jazz Festival on over long weekend)...and interestingly, it varied restaurant/cafe to restaurant/cafe - but did note that the majority of outdoor type cafes had nothing but condiments (pepper/salt/sauces) on table. Those indoor restaurants differed with tables fully set.

Does vary then around here...depending on restaurant type and location.

17. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Well most out side restaurant type's.That would be considered a health and safety issue.

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Not too long ago, I went to one of my local lunch spots, ordered a burger, plain, with mustard and mayo on the side. They got that right, but the only utensil they gave me was a fork. I made it work, but WTF?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds