Review of ASUS A73T laptop needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbazza, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi, can anyone help me with a link/review of an ASUS Model A73T, quad core, 17.3" screen laptop, 2 x 750 gig HDD's.

I've just bought 2 on behalf of my boys at half the normal price.:cool
    Trouble is I can't find much info on the Net about that model.

1. Specs are:
    Each fitted with:
    AMD A-Series A6-3400M CPU
    The AMD A6-3400M (Codename Llano) is a
    1. quad-core processor
    for entry level laptops. It is part of the Fusion family of APUs (=Accelerated Processing Units) and features an integrated Radeon HD 6520G graphics card.
    The processor core is clocked at 1.4 GHz base clock speed and is able to automatically overclock up to 2.3 GHz (TurboCore, depending on temperature and used cores).
    Compared to the A6-3410MX, the A6-3400M offers a lower base speed and also a lower TDP rating.
    and
    750gig + 750gig hard drives (2)
    RAM DDR3 1333 4Gigabytes fitted
    WLAN 802.11 bgn (AS)_WW ------------Includes latest "n" Standard
    Keyboard USA
    LCD+ID+COLOR 17.3 HD+(GL,LED)USB3.0 -------------includes latest "USB3" Standard.
    3G WO/3G
    TV WO/TV

Good WEI ratings, with graphic card lower than other scores, as is usual with laptops.

I've searched google high and low, 2 for sale on ebay, nothing on ASUS home page, nothing on computer store home page. where I bought them from, nothing on other computer stores in my home town. :confused

Bazza

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

How strange bigbazza .. I did find one reference but its a broken link and that was to ASUS site Taiwan. Searched UK but same result.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. plodr

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. bigbazza

Thanks for the responses. It is definitely shown as a Model: A73T on the outside of the unopened carton. Specs are also on the side of the packaging.
    (See ebay link photo)

I have opened one carton and done the initial backup of the system, added a few programs and one son has taken it to the younger son to an offshore tourist island so I can't investigate further at this time.

The second lappy is still unopened until my eldest son returns on the weekend. I'd really like to rip the packaging open now, but will have to wait for his return.;)

http://computers.shop.ebay.com.au/?...&_nkw=ASUS+A73T&_sacat=58058#item190577775732

shows 4 for sale on eBay. The photo of the side of the packaging, is the same as ours. All A73T with the same specs except that 1 has 8 gigs of RAM, instead of standard 4 gigs.

I will check out all the links. Thanks again,

Bazza

7. bigbazza

A closer investigation of the labelling shows BASE UNIT as AS A73TA, but model number is definitely A73T.

The eBay photo of the specs is slightly different from ours, in that the list of the specs is in a different sequence.

See thumbnails.

The mystery continues. :major

Bazza

Attached Files:

8. bigbazza

I just rang ASUS on their toll free number, read out my serial number and they tell me it is a Model K73TA, not A73T despite what it says on the packaging. ;)

ASUS say the spec label is the store's own labelling, but it looks too professional to be other than by ASUS.

What would I know? ;) I know the store's method of labelling and this is nothing like the labelling on the ASUS packaging. See the eBay thumbnail as an example.

Now I'll do some searches on the new? model number.

Thanks again to those who replied, especially plodr.

Bazza

9. bigbazza

K73TA might refer to Intel CPU, we have AMD A6-3400M 1.4GHZ Quad core. :confused. It was an AMD==>ASUS half price sale. ;)

Onward, ever onward. :major

@plodr.
    ASUS A73TA super game laptop Australia's version might be A73TA

It looks like that model but ours have specification decals (stickers) on both sides, below the keyboard.

Bazza

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. bigbazza

Attached Files:

11. bigbazza

Eldest son will be back home, after a 10 hour bus trip, early tomorrow (friday).
    I will be helping him set up his new laptop, using lots of MG programs, of course.
    I hope to get some answers by checking out Belarc Advisor, and others.

Has anyone used PC DeCrapifier on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit?
    Anyone used it on an ASUS laptop?
    Any tricks, traps, etc., I should be aware of?

In a brief look at my youngest son's laptop, there are lots of processes, etc., I've never heard of. :confused

All replies very welcome. :major

Bazza

12. plodr

I've used Revo Uninstaller on my Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit netbook.

13. bigbazza

Today, I found out more info (from an opposition National retailer). ;)

Apparently my local (National) retail store, purchased the entire stock of the A73T models, and maybe all older stock of all AMD CPU'd laptops.

I guess we can look forward to a new release of AMD powered models, with even better specs (like combo SSD+normal HDD's), more RAM as standard, and/or more powerful CPU's.

I guess that's the end of this story, thanks for your posts. :major

Bazza

14. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'll just drop this link that says the A73T is a larger version of the K53TA model.

Post #8 has a link to the K53Ta thread that has 100 pages of replies. It seems that model has similar specs but a smaller screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds