Runner Error:Invalid Backweb application "137903"

Discussion in 'Software' started by aknotter, Nov 25, 2006.

1. aknotter

aknotter Private E-2

I have re installed XP and believe that I have made all the updates to bring the OS up to standards. I am getting a Runner Error: Invalid Backweb application id "137903" window every time I boot the computer. I just click "OK" and it goes away and I don't seem to be having any issues as a result of the error. But I would like to stop it from appearing. Any ideas?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Some program you installed, possibly corrupt called backweb? See if it is in your add/remove programs list ....go to start/run/msconfig and see if it is in the last tab under start up ....
    If you didn't install it ....can't find it ...do a search (check advanced options) ...
    report back.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/backweb/

3. aknotter

aknotter Private E-2

Well, as it turns out, this is an HP computer and HP uses "backweb" to search for updates to their software & hardware. I find that going to "start", "all programs", "startup", "updates from HP", then pressing enter, I can replicate the error at will. I have contacted HP support with this information and I'll let you know when/if they come up with a resolution.

There is an HP SofPac that should be applied BEFORE upgrading to XP Service Pack 2, but I have asked them if there is a fix POST SP2.

P.S. I tripped over this information by following your suggestion to do a search for "backweb". Thank you!

4. aknotter

aknotter Private E-2

The proposed solution from HP Customer Care is to do a system restore. I'll quote the first sentence -CAUTION: Performing a System Recovery replaces system files and original software with the files that originally came with the PC."

I just removed "Updates from HP" from the startup menu. (Basically your original suggestion.)

It seems that everything you let your computer do for you results in some extreme costs somewhere down the line.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate the time and effort you folks put into helping others.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds