Sacrilege----USA bans Vegemite ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Oct 22, 2006.

1. embrya

embrya Private E-2

what's POM?

2. brksta

brksta Corporal

its an english man/woman we Aussie and Yanks (i think) call them Pom's or Pommies

3. embrya

embrya Private E-2

thx brksta

4. brksta

brksta Corporal

your welcome

5. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

As stated, Pom = British, in Australian colloquial language.

A.F.A.I.K., it originates from the acronym P.O.H.M.S., or "POHMS", meaning 'Prisoner Of His Majesty's Service', later the 'H' got dropped. Relating to the original British convict immigrants of the eighteenth century.

Now, colloquial language in Australia, as "Pom" or "Pommie", meaning someone who originates from Britain, especially England. (People like me, I guess, LoL! – Although I’m also an American – Long story.).

6. embrya

embrya Private E-2

thanks phanty

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It's amazing what you can find posted on this site...I thought Vegemite was something Lucy tried selling on the "I Love Lucy" show. (opps, showing my age) I bet it can't be as good as peanut butter and bologna sandwhiches!!!! :cool:

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Peanut butter is gross (IMHO)...I'm a vegemite girl all the way :D

9. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Dont mean to be offensive but another term I looked up and surprising results..

-fag

-A British colloquialism for cigarette
    -Fagging - reference to a junior boy who acted as servant to a senior boy at a British independent school. “Fag” came to mean a tedious or labour-intensive chore, and “fagged out” to mean exhausted by hard work.
    -an American generally pejorative term for a gay man, or for men who are judged to be "unmanly", weak or effeminate
    -Guatemalan Air Force or Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca
    -FAG Kugelfischer, a German company that manufactures ball bearings
    -Faggot (food), an English food that is a cross between sausage and haggis
    -Film Actors' Guild, a fictional evil organization of liberal actors led by Alec Baldwin in the movie Team America: World Police; a parody of the Screen Actor's Guild
    -A bundle of sticks used for firewood.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Hey Lev...I used to live in Portland and met an old farmer there that made BooBerry Wine in his barn. That was all natural vegtable product and did ever have a kick. (I have no idea why I'm sharing that info.) :)

11. embrya

embrya Private E-2

you could have caught the reruns, lol ;)

12. la2pent

la2pent Private E-2

And we wonder why there is so many problems with border control ....helloooo its only food and if the person likes vegemite leave'em be....go get them mexicans that are trying to cross down south....or better yet the people that are bringing drugs in....now hey theres an idea!!!!:confused:

13. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Yep, go get them Aussie drug (Vegemite) smugglers. LMAO.:D Bazza

===

14. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

"She just gave me, A piece of a Vegimite sandwich! Then she said" Do you come from a land of under"Men At Work"
    great album:D

15. goose

goose Private E-2

In vegemitas veritas... old aussie saying.
    So... the war on vegemite begins. I'd be blaming G.W. and midterm elections except Nostradmaus has already prophesised this.

16. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hey have you lads and ladies from Oz heard the latest "Old Bush" his self, has declared Vegemite a terrorist threat to God bless America, claims those Islam Terrorist smear the stuff on there bodies so the sniffer dogs can not smell the explosives. So "Old Bush" has declared war on Vegemite, better grab your jars and head for the hills Aussie's

17. Phantom

Actually no, it's:- "Buying bread from a man in brussels
    He was six foot four and full of muscles
    I said, "do you speak-a my language? "
    He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
    And he said,......"

I come from a land down under
    Where beer does flow and men chunder

Full lyrics:-

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/men+at+work/down+under_20091747.html

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I have no idea either, and I haven't met him yet, but will let you know if I ever do ;) :p

Did he like vegemite too?

19. PooLips

PooLips Private E-2

Maybe the FDA doesn't approve of food with any nutritional value except fat.
    Vegemite contains 100micrograms per serve.
    A pregnancy supplement contains 800micrograms

20. embrya

embrya Private E-2

fat? do u mean folate?

21. brksta

brksta Corporal

:)

yeah that would be right go and out do me in my history lesson :rolleyes: ........lol.......:) :) :)

just when i thought hey i can finally help someone, you just go and out do me......lol........you've crushed me Phantom you,ve truly crushed me....lol:)

22. brksta

brksta Corporal

Here! Here!....P.B is FOUL
    totally agree 100% with you Lev:D

23. brksta

brksta Corporal

NOOOOO! I CANT BELIEVE IT!
    i'm going to the shops now to stock up
    ill die before ill give the stuff up

i have the perfect idea ill smear myself in that god awful Peanut Butter stuff and cover up the smell of the vegemite then maybe Bush can ban that instead.....how dare he try do take it away from us V.M lovers lets get him

CHARGE!:mad: :mad: :mad:

24. embrya

embrya Private E-2

lol, i was gonna make a comment but.......screw it. to each his/her own.

25. embrya

embrya Private E-2

r u sure it's possible to cover up that stench? :eek: lol

26. brksta

brksta Corporal

what mine or the vegemite.....hehe....ROFLMAO:D

27. embrya

embrya Private E-2

lol....both :p. i think the peanut butter would take care of urs......but that vegemite stuff........WHEW...u would need some industrial grade olfactory protection for that one.

28. brksta

brksta Corporal

lol....not very nice embrya :p

i really dont think vegemite smells that bad but maybe im just use to it

29. embrya

embrya Private E-2

trust me.......ur just used to it. i can barely open a jar of that stuff before the convulsions start. and i actually forced myself to taste a small bit of it and ....well it was bad, lol. but like i said earlier....to each her crazy own :p

30. brksta

brksta Corporal

lol....convulsions...right now your going a bit far...he-he:eek:

you cant just try it by its self you have to put just a light coat of it on top of a piece of heavily buttered toast and then munch away:D

mmmmm yummo... you cant beat it...unless of corse you put some thinly sliced cheese on top and then.....WHAM!.....perfection...lol

31. embrya

embrya Private E-2

actually i'm not goin too far, lol. that's actually what happened. i had a very strong involuntary stomach reaction, seriously......
    i'm noticing a trend.....with some exceptions i've mostly heard that you have to dilute this stuff just to make it edible! lol. i like eating things in their pure form (for the most part, cuz i'm sure there will b some smart ass who could think of one example that would discredit what i just said, hehe)

u sure the cheese wouldn't dissolve?

32. brksta

brksta Corporal

lol.. god that sounds like what happens to me if i smell red wine that stuff can just about make me barf and thats without even taking a sip...so ok ill let you go with that one...hehe
    each to there own i guess

no cheese doesnt it tastes so good mmmm

33. embrya

embrya Private E-2

well i was referrin moreso to the radioactive properties of vegemite.

ahhhhhh the spirits. wishin i had some bacardi gold right now, lol.. damn uuuuuuuu

34. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

35. Phantom

A.F.A.I.K., the U.S. F.D.A. is just making the Vegemite manufactures disclose the total folate content on their labelling, which they already do, b.t.w.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds