Sandisk Purchase From Ebay

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bacdj, Jun 18, 2019.

1. bacdj

bacdj Private E-2

I have just purchased a 256gb SanDisk USB stick from Ebay for a backup and use with my Zenbook when away from home. (See Below Web site)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1430103...::&pgrp=main:email&e=cl&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

When I tried to copy my backup folder to the USB is was very slow in copying and some of the large files copied were saved with a larger file size than the original. I immediately suspected a "knockoff" Sandisk and contacted the supplier who said I copied too large a file and that I should reformat the USB and try again using smaller size files rather than copy the lot at once. I have done this and it appears to be copying better and more accurately if I copy smaller files. The other concern I have now is that the copy process is much slower than I expected. I have an old WD HDD with a USB connector that copies a particular file in about 2 minutes and the Sandisk takes about 9 minutes.

Is it normal for a small USB stick to be so slow and am I expecting too much. Brian DJ

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Probably not the stick as much as the USB port.

3. bacdj

bacdj Private E-2

The USB port might not be the fastest, but it is the same USB port I use for the old 500gb WD HDD that is connected with a SATA > USB cord, so that should not be the reason. Brian DJ

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

What is the size of the file?

5. bacdj

bacdj Private E-2

Just under 7gb

6. Eldon

7. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Regrettably not all USB thumb drives are created equal

8. bacdj

bacdj Private E-2

Thanks guys for your comments, but it is disappointing to purchase something and not be happy with the money spent. I particularly bought the small physical sized USB because I can put it in my ASUS Zenbook, leave it there and still fit it in the case when we travel away from home, rather than carry a larger backup device. Having my time over I would probably have bought something half the memory size and much less expense and do select backup to carry with me. Brian DJ.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

10. bacdj

bacdj Private E-2

I was told to reformat it by the supplier to exFat or NTFS and I found NTFS probably a bit better. Brian DJ

11. bacdj

bacdj Private E-2

Sorry, forgot to state which USB:
    SANDISK ULTRA FIT USB 3.1 FLASH DRIVE

12. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Formatting to NTFS would have improved performance a bit. It did on my Sandisk USB thumb drive.

In the first instance please confirm that your ZenBook is USB 3?

Why don't you double check that the USB dongle is correctly detected with the correct speed

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/106837-usb-3-0-hub-showing-2-1-a.html

Personally, from reading a couple of reviews on Amazon re this dongle, it appears to have speed issues.

One last thing and I am sure that you are probably aware of this. Large files transfer at much higher speeds than a bunch of very small files (whatever speed of USB one uses).

Eldon likes this.
  13. Eldon

I have experienced the exact opposite! :confused:

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From reviews I've read, it tends to run hot and small, in size, USB drives transfer slow. This one throttles to USB 2 speeds after a minute or two.

I found this to increase speed in Windows 10:
    Expand Disk Drivers in Device Manager and find your USB device, right-click on your USB device and choose Properties.
    Go to the Policies tab and select "Better performance", click "OK". Restart the computer.

Apparently the default is Quick removal rather than Better Performance.

15. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Really Eldon.....That should not be the case. 4K files can slow USB3.x to about the max speed of USB2 as I am sure that you are aware.

On my external USB3.x hard drives (not thumb drive). I get about 150mbps+ transfer on larger files ie copying images to USB3 external. Drops off sharply for small files that is why people seem to recommend zipping those for copy.

https://www.everythingusb.com/speed.html

The above link also features the ops USB thumb drive and it does not fare too well at all even with large file writes. With small files writes looks abysmal.

That can work too as I have found out but with thumb drives it seems hit or miss.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds