Seagate Harddrive PC Board Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMC_01, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMC_01

DMC_01 Private E-2

I have the following model Seagate Hardrive and was wondering if anyone knew of reliable resources to get a new circuit board for this item. I have been checking ebay, online sites, ect...so any additional assistane woul dbe helpful.
    Model ST340823A
    U Series 5
    IDE drive
    Seagate 40 GB
    Firmware 3.07
    I have seen a lot of models that are close - just not exact match. I'd toss the drive, but there is about a years worth of photos on there that I unfortunately did not have a backup for.

Thanks in advance

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Could you explain what is wrong with the drive?

3. DMC_01

DMC_01 Private E-2

Yes.
    The drive attempted to power up and noticed the smell of burnt plastic. Turned off drive and removed it from the external enclosure it was it to check - one of the small circuits has a small melted pinhole in it, and drive did not power up again even when hooking up internally, so I did not attempt anything else.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

5. DMC_01

DMC_01 Private E-2

Thanks - looking through the site - has some that are close - does the firmware have to be exact for this to work? i see a few 3.09 versions and wondering if it was compatable - don't want to have this drive long term - just long enough to get the stuff I have on it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds