1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seagate Harddrive PC Board Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMC_01, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMC_01

DMC_01 Private E-2

I have the following model Seagate Hardrive and was wondering if anyone knew of reliable resources to get a new circuit board for this item. I have been checking ebay, online sites, ect...so any additional assistane woul dbe helpful.
    Model ST340823A
    U Series 5
    IDE drive
    Seagate 40 GB
    Firmware 3.07
    I have seen a lot of models that are close - just not exact match. I'd toss the drive, but there is about a years worth of photos on there that I unfortunately did not have a backup for.

Thanks in advance

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Could you explain what is wrong with the drive?

3. DMC_01

DMC_01 Private E-2

Yes.
    The drive attempted to power up and noticed the smell of burnt plastic. Turned off drive and removed it from the external enclosure it was it to check - one of the small circuits has a small melted pinhole in it, and drive did not power up again even when hooking up internally, so I did not attempt anything else.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

5. DMC_01

DMC_01 Private E-2

Thanks - looking through the site - has some that are close - does the firmware have to be exact for this to work? i see a few 3.09 versions and wondering if it was compatable - don't want to have this drive long term - just long enough to get the stuff I have on it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.