Securing My Webcam

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mark59, Nov 15, 2017.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have checked a number of online websites to find out ways to protect my webcam from being hacked. They all recommend I access the software for my webcam and change the default username and password. However, none of them tell you how to do this. My webcam is inbuilt into my laptop PC so I d not know its name. I would like to know how I identify the software for my webcam so I can make these security changes. My laptop PC is an Acer Aspire ES1-512 running Windows 10 (x64).

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Max's post link, to save all the hassle, I just use a sticky plaster, and simply remove when I want to skype- I have done this for years.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thank you for the advice. I have disabled the web cam through device manager. I already keep all security software up-to-date. I might do a belt and braces job and stick some black tape over it, too. The PC is black so will hardly be noticeable.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

We own 2 Acer Aspire netbooks, with Windows 7. I disabled the built in webcam on both in the BIOS. Since I never intend to use the webcam, this was the easiest way to disable it for me.

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I've never used the webcam but may need it soon for a course where I have to Skype my tutor. Disabling it in the BIOS is well above my pay grade.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds