Setup Any Operating System Vm, Easily With Oracle Vm Virtualbox.

Discussion in 'Software' started by baklogic, Dec 1, 2017.

1. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Setup any operating system easily with ORACLE VM VirtualBox.

If you have been having trouble getting a Virtual Machine running, then this is how I managed to use Oracle VM VirtualBox in Windows 10, and also in Windows 8.1.

First to use the Oracle version, I found that the Microsoft VM seemed to be conflicting- so.

Right click on the Windows button and select ‘Apps and Features’.

Select Turn Windows Features on or off.

Select Hyper-V and UNTICK.

When this has finished RESTART.

Now- Running sfc /scannow will correct Windows files, but BEWARE THAT THERE IS THE POSSIBILTY THAT ANY HACKS YOU HAVE DONE MAY NEED TO BE REDONE, ONCE YOU HAVE RUN SFC /SCANNOW, as the original files may overwrite your hacked oness.

Next Right click the start button, and choose (left click) Windows Powershell as administrator.

Type in the box that comes up sfc /scannow note the space between sfc and /

Press enter.

Let it finish and then type in Exit, and it will close the box.

This will fix the corrupted files.

If you wish to check your system further then this article will be useful, depending on your ability/knowledge.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

PLEASE NOTE, THAT WINDOWS 10 WILL GO ON-LINE TO UPDATE, IF YOU ARE ON-LINE ON YOUR PC/LAPTOP.

This series of pictures shows the basic settings- allowing THE SOFTWARE TO DO ALL THE WORK-

BUT- I would create a folder to put your iso image in, and save it , if you have a data partition- on your pc/laptop, --If not, perhaps , in the Documents folder.

When installation is finished, create a checkpoint before doing anything else.

Once up and running , then, you can add as you wish, like folders, and usb connections etc:

The actual VM's will have their own folder- unless you are competent enough, I would leave the VM's where the software puts them.

Now I used the all in one version , as I wanted to try different versions, and it allows to install without a key- I f you do as I, and use an all in one version, You will need to input the key, once setup, In order to activate.

Comments/feedback welcomed

Baklogic

Attached Files:

Eldon likes this.
  2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

These are the net steps.

Attached Files:

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Settings automatic-

Attached Files:

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Settings automatic, continued-

Attached Files:

5. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I know your title is Oracle. I have VMWare and MS's virtual software and wonder any advantage or main differences between these. I have had no problems with VMWare's but seem to remember MS's as harder and less options in choosing machine hardware. Any thoughts or suggestions? My main Machine folder has these machines, about 9 missing in screenshot due to display mode.

VMfolder.jpg

Eldon likes this.
  6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

VMware Workstation Player and Oracle VM VirtualBox offer more support for host and client operating systems compared to Microsoft's Hyper-V.
    Which is the best? It's probably down to personal preference.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Imandy Mann-
    I had a bit of difficulty with MS VM, and decided to try Oracle, and I created this post after getting to grips a little , with it.
    Basically I wanted to show how easy it is, letting the software guide us.
    Obviously those who have used different VM software, with much more experience could add to this, to make it more interesting - I am just the Tinkerer, but I , too, would like to listen to others, on their experiences, with other VM software, and get examples of their expertize.
    I like this ,particularly, because I can try Linux systems, too, I gather - I never liked grub very much,and dual booting, or, triple booting with Linux, and Windows always gave me difficulties- whereas, if I mess one of these up, I just replace it with the last checkpoint. Although MS Hyper-v does , too, I just find Oracle's VM VirtualBox suit me.

8. Imandy Mann

I see a lot of steps involved in your post. With VMWare Player, I just downloaded the installer, installed the software and then ran it.
    First run I just selected an iso, set the memory and ram, then started the machine. First time 1 - 2 - 3 and there it was.
    I did find that on various iso's it help to rebuild the machine by selecting different video ram amounts and some needed video display adjustments for screen fit the way I wanted. Most times my wireless adapter and cd/dvd are picked up right off the get-go. On some Linux it is not so lucky, but on some newer Linux it can load the wireless with ndis wrapper to run it as a windows device.
    I agree on your thoughts of being able to run these without having to reboot or dig out the dvd's or thumb drives every time.
    It's hard to label usb's so I used to keep a list but I found over time I had too many to differentiate between. I mean like 3 San Disk Cruiser 32 GB, how to keep track of which one is which.
    Also now I have these in my images and backed up on externals so I don't need to get more usb's. I can reuse any of them for the next project. I'm always up to trying something new and sometimes something old in a new way.
    Good topic!

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My main consideration....
    Oracle VM Virtualbox- free
    Hyper-V is a free one,
    VMWare Player costs a bit.....

10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Imandy Mann likes this.
  11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When I looked up I did not find the free one- so that is another I can have a go at- but I think I will try it on a separate hard drive just in case it conflicts with Oracle VM VirtualBox (Like I was finding with Hyper-V and Oracle vm vb)

I suppose that I spread it in very easy steps to help those who had not tried any VM software, and like Imandy Mann says I could have just said let the software do it, but I thought a "layman's write -up" might be more helpful.
    Basically I pictured every 'click'.

12. Imandy Mann

I just checked and I have Oracle installed. Started it up and I have a Win '7 machine on it, ready to start. So hasn't been any problem here.

13. Earthling

Here's my VMware setup. The Windows guests are child's play to set up but Linux guests are not so straightforward, particularly in the way the VMware Tools are installed and managed. The VMware Tools handle the user interface and are essential really. Apologies for the poor quality, it's a shot taken over the network of my main Win 10 PC upstairs.

Capture.PNG

baklogic likes this.
  14. Earthling

I do have Oracle too and that has the advantage of snapshots. You have to get the Pro version of VMware for that capability but, like Imandy, I take disk images for that purpose.

15. Imandy Mann

I don't know about the snapshots but every time I click 'x' to close a machine it asks if I want to save the 'state' of the machine. If I've added a folder or installed a program I save. And I do have the changes next time I start the machine.

16. Earthling

Yes, I work that way too, but if you hit a problem and need to wind back to an earlier state you need a snapshot or a disk image to do so, otherwise you may have to reinstall, just like a real machine.

17. Imandy Mann

I used the wrong term on that. I just ran an XP pro machine. Copied a MS "AutoRuns" folder from my real hard drive over to the VM. When I hit the 'X' it ask if I want to "Suspend' and that saved it. Closed it out then started again and it is now part of the machine.

18. Imandy Mann

I believe if I had a machine crash, that machine is gone. But I believe the copy in my Documents\Machines would be okay. But yeah if a Windows problem messes that folder up then my last state would be what's in my bbackups.

19. Earthling

I have tried simply copying a VM folder to an external drive as a backup and it has mostly worked ok but not 100%, i.e. the copy sometimes won't load into VMware. If I really need it back I would need to restore a disk image.

20. Imandy Mann

And in worst case, the iso is still available if needed to start all over.

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is version 14 a=avilable, now- I will keep a copy to try when I have mastered a bit more with Oracle.
    In Oracle the snapshot is in the dropdown of the machine tab - You just click the machine tab while in the VM, and click snapshot

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I tried copying one ,but have to master that, yet.
    I also attempted copying from the 8.1 partition to w10 partition, but did not get that right I tried putting it in the w10 vm folder, but Oracle vm could not find it- early days-
    I think I need to decide which format tocreate in and try all three to seewhich one willwork from an external drive/usb stick, or, what ever.
    I like tinkering.........:rolleyes:o_O

Imandy Mann likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds