SigmaTel C-Major Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by aazim007, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Hi guys,

As you can probably tell I'm new here, audio problems have forced me to come to the experts, and I hope you can help in this regard.

So here's the story: about a year ago, my sound just stopped working. I can't seem to remember if there was any major event that took place at that time, so I don't know why this happened. Anyway, I've been trying to fix it myself since then, downloading various drivers, but all to no avail.

At the moment, under Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to 'SigmaTel C-Major Audio' and the error says:

Location: PCI bus 0, device 31, function 5, and under Device Status:

'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'.

From what I've seen you guys also place emphasis on EVEREST reports, so I've attached mine.

Sincerely hope you guys can help, I've exhausted all possibilities and you're basically my last hope. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

PS: If you need anything else, I'd be glad to do so, just tell me what to do and how.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Sorry I completely forgot to mention my OS. I have XP Pro and Vista installed. However I hardly use Vista due to all the compatibility issues. There, that's all.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just a little more info in case, we still have a problem after the steps I'm going to give you.
    Is your PC OEM? If it is what is the manufacturer name and model #?

This is the chipset driver for your motherboard. Install it first and then do a compete shutdown and re-boot.
    Chipset: IntelĀ® Chipset Software Installation Utility for IntelĀ® Desktop Boards

This is the original audio driver for your sound. I would go to ADD / Remove Programs and remove installs labeled Sigmatel. If by chance, you have also tried any other drivers, you want to uninstall them, too.
    Integrated Audio Driver [5.10.3686.CERTIFIED.EXE]

OPPS, sorry Halo..... I started on this and then went to eat breakfast and didn't know you posted.

5. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK guys, a few questions and problems (I knew this wasn't going to get fixed easily)

Firstly, musksnipe, what do you mean by OEM? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

Secondly, I installed the chipset you provided and rebooted as you said. However, you then said I should go and remove any drivers with SigmaTel. That's where the problem started. Now when I press 'remove' on SigmaTel AC97 Audio Drivers, a window pops up saying this:

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (439)
    pAPP:SigmaTel AC97 Windows Driver
    PVENDOR:SigmaTel Inc.
    PGUID:7959721d-8268-4565-9e0e-c41a9f4848a9
    $7.1.100.1248
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.16608

Yes I know it's a whole lot of gibberish. Then when I press OK on this window, this appears:

Setup has experienced an error.
    Please do the following:
    -Close any running programs
    -Empty your temporary folder
    -Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setups)
    Then try to run the setup again.

Error code: -5001.

So now I basically don't know what to do. Of those three instructions, I don't know which temporary folder it's talking about, and my Internet connection is fine. So I'm powerless to even remove the darned thing right now.

Again, any help would be welcome, as you can see the scope of the problem I have to deal with. And Halo, no I haven't re-installed XP for a while.

Anything else you need, ask away.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It looks like I missed your second post as well as Halo's this morning.
    First, OEM just means Original Equipment Manufacturer (Dell, HP, Acer, etc)
    Second , as Halo asked, is XP the newer of the two OS's and which is having the problem? XP or Vista.

The error code you're getting means: The operation cannot be completed because other resources are dependent on this resource.
    Which is just weird because I believe Sigmatel is only the audio. But, if Windows won't let you right now, we can skip that step. (We might try it later in Safe Mode, if you can't get the audio to install)
    The drivers I supplied were for XP Pro, which showed in your Everest report.
    Go ahead and try installing the audio over the one there now and see what happens.

7. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Yeah, tried that, it says all files were unzipped successfully, but there's still an exclamation mark next to SigmaTel C-Major Audio in Device Manager and the error is This device cannot start (Code 10).

However there's an option to uninstall the driver in Device Manager. Should I try that since Add/Remove isn't working? Maybe then after that I could re-install the sound driver you gave.

And the problem is in XP, which is the older of the two. I haven't really tried any sound on Vista, I've hardly used it. But if you want I could go and try something on that and see if sound works. Seems kind of stupid of me not to have done that now.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

No, to the uninstall, at least right now.
    Install through Device Manager, but tell the Wizard, "No" to the internet, and to install from a "Specific Location", and point it to the downloaded driver.

9. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK, I started the update of the driver and fed in the file you gave. However in the middle of the installation it asked for the file STAC97.sys, which I then downloaded. However, once that was done and the installation ended, it said there was a problem installing your hardware and the same error came up (Cannot start hardware).

Uninstall now? Or is there more that can be done? (I hope).

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, uninstall and reboot to see if Windows will pick it up

11. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Well Windows did pick it up, and then asked me if I wanted to continue with installation as the driver hadn't passed "Windows Logo Testing". I continued and the same thing happened, it asked for STAC97.sys, I put it in, and then it says Cannot start hardware.

I'm cursed.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'll look into that in a bit, but gonna be busy for a while. Daytona 500 is about to start.

13. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Hahahaha alrighty then, how long does that run for?

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Follow these steps all the way through;
    First, go into safe mode:
    1) Uninstall the Sigmatel software through Add/Remove Programs
    Now return to normal startup.

2) In Device Manager, remove the High Definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select all sound devices listed here and click the Remove button. (Do not remove Legacy or Codecs)

The next steps (in red) may not be needed but check to see if there is the UAA driver listed, if it is, do the steps.
    Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)

KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Install your driver, then do a complete shut down and re-boot.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You never stated if your PC was a build or if it is an OEM. Post that, if the above doesn't work.
    Also, you might do me a favor and upload your Everest report this way, as there will be a little more info for me to go through.

When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware-related Pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File"

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is what Intel has to say about drivers not installing:
    When installing Sigmatel* or Realtek* audio drivers (either from the Express Installer CD or using the latest driver download available from the web), the installation may fail with either of the following error messages:
    • Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again.
    • The system does not support the driver you are attempting to install.
    The Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver for Windows* may be corrupted or causing problems with the audio driver installation.
    To resolve this:
    1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Look for the following two items: Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver and High Definition Audio driver Package - KB888111. (subsitute Sigmatel for Realtek)
    3. If these items are listed in Add/Remove programs, remove them.
    4. Restart Windows.
    5. Download the latest audio driver for your desktop board from Download Center.
    6. Double-click the filename to extract the files.
    7. Go to the folder where the files have been extracted and browse to the \HDAQFE\xpsp2\us\ folder or the \MSHDQFE\Win2K_XP\us\ folder. (The name of this folder depends on your desktop board model.)
    8. Double-click the file kb888111xpsp2.exe to install the High Definition Audio Driver Package.
    9. Restart Windows.
    10. Install the audio driver.

17. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK we still have problems.

Even when going into Safe Mode, I can't uninstall the SigmaTel Drivers, I get the same error that I posted before.

Then when I go into Device Manager, there is no High Definition audio device. Then you further told me to remove all devices under Legacy Audio Drivers. The problem being, there aren't any devices there. (Yes it's all messed up).

So right now I still haven't re-installed the new driver cause I can't get the old one deleted.

You asked for the hardware related report, here it is.

My PC is a build, not an OEM. Sorry I forgot to answer that before. Anyway that's all I think.

Attached Files:

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

New day, new tactics. The main reason I wanted the new report is because I didn't see any thing about Sigmatel in your first report. Sigmatel does show in this report. I had to also see if we were trying to grab the right driver, even though your motherboard site stated Sigmetel.

I hate to use this site, because they tend to make you pay for drivers. You will have to register. There will be adds, but you can click skip all.
    They have a Sigmatel driver labeled Sigmatel.zip.
    Click the link above, if you're lucky it will take you straight to the download, if not you will have to register and go through their hoops to get there. I did download this (free) so it is not one of there "pay for" drivers. Even though I hate that site, their drivers seem to always work.

It is basically the same as the one I supplied you before but that . sys file is packed in a different location. Maybe this will install properly. Just extract the files and click setup.exe

If the first link doesn't get you there, this should:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=54905

19. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK, I didn't have that much of a problem getting the driver as I had already registered on this site (told you I've looked everywhere) but I hadn't downloaded this particular driver.

So when I downloaded it, I extracted the files to a folder and clicked 'setup'. Then an InstallShield window opens and it opens one of those old style full screen installation windows, and says that AC97 Drivers will now be installed on your computer. However when i click next, it hangs. CPU usage goes upto 100%, and the process that's the main culprit is 'IKernel.exe'.

But the rest of the computer functions perfectly normally, it's just this installation window that hangs. Is there any way to work around that?

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try the update in Device Manager, if your first attempt doesn't work, point it to the WDM folder or the ich folder (inside of WDM) or the stac97.inf (inside of ich) and see if that works.

BTW Are your Windows updates up to date?

21. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Pointed it to the 'wdm' folder in 'ich', but it says the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you already have installed. Which is stupid cause I don't have anything installed:cry.

God this is so irritating.

22. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Windows Updates? If you mean the automatic ones then yeah they are.

As for the ones you check through the start menu, then there was just one available which is something about the .NET framework.

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You may want to install that. Some drivers need the .NET framework, but I don't know if this one does. Haven't seen it mentioned. You could always uninstall it if it doesn't work.

Also, take a look at this:
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=q108247

Not exactly your problem but re installing the new IKernel.exe mat help.

What ever happened to the days of download driver, install, done? :cry

24. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Hahaha yes some of us aren't blessed with that easy a ride :p.

OK the link you gave, it says to end the process IKernel.exe. Want me to try installing the driver and then end the process and see what happens?

As for the .NET framework, should I download it or is it not that important?

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

No, I think that is just a precaution, as most things won't install if their processes are running.

.Net probably isn't importat, just a stab in the dark.

26. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Oh my bad my bad the rest of the page hadn't loaded. Yeah I'll follow all the instructions now.

27. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK re-installed the Kernel, however the same problem occurred. Once I press Next on the installation window, it just gets stuck.

I think I should just download .NET, what else is there to do?

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just to be sure, are your speakers turned on, plugged in properly? I just did a restore because I thought I screwed mine up by accidentally clicking a .exe in one of the files I was looking at for you.
    I had turned my speaker sound off last night. rolleyes LOL

Yes, try the .Net.
    I have absolutly no more ideas, but will do another look through some sites to see if I can solve this for you. It might take a while.

29. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK, my speakers are plugged in properly but it's no use because in the Sound Devices there is nothing; it says no audio devices detected.

And there's something else that's weird. I don't think it's detecting my speakers either. Cause I can't change the system volume or any of that stuff.

I also can't open Volume Control, it says no mixer devices installed. God does anything sound-related work on this machine??

30. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Here is another driver to try. It is an executable, so maybe it will work where the zips didn't. I suspect it is the same as the first I gave you though. I just looked at the schematics for your board and it is definitely the STAC 9750 chip on it.
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sigmatel-ac97-stac9750-audio-driver.html

I'm thinking it has to be the folder causing some kind of problem. It should uninstall! :tas
    I saw an uninstaller recently that is supposed to uninstall anything. I'll try to find that again.
    We may have to just delete your Sigmatel folder and then search your registry to clean up.

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

32. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

The first driver you gave didn't work either. It gave the Device Object not present error.

This uninstaller, it seems to be working but I now have a list of registry items related to the drivers, and it's asking which ones I want to delete. I'm not sure what to do, could you help with that?

33. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK I just took the plunge and deleted whatever was in bold, it was all related to SigmaTel. Now I think it's completely removed, it isn't showing up in Add/Remove either.

The driver you gave right at the beginning, it extracts files but it extracts them in some Temp folder. Is that right or should they be extracted somewhere else?

34. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You might want to run CCleaner, the Registry part, first before installing.
    No, that's right. It is just a question as to whether or not you can install from the temp folder.
    Once extracted, double click the setup.exe.
    Fingers crossed here!

35. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Oh riiight, I have to go to that folder and install it.

Cheez that was a blonde moment.

36. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Damn it, it's the same problem, it gets stuck for no reason whatsoever. It's that same stupid IKernel.exe that does it. The Temp folder was stuffed though it's absolutely full of Lord knows what files.

One more thing, why can't I change the system volume and all? Is there something wrong with how I'm connecting my speakers or what?

37. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

38. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

Yeah that is the one that extracts to this temporary folder. Then the setup starts and hangs when I click next.

39. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Not sure of that right now, it may be because of the driver not being installed right.
    Go into Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Device and check your settings in the Sound and Audio tabs.
    Sound should be Windows Default, Audio should be Sigmatel.

I found this about your Kernel problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810608

I can't help much with the commands though, don't know much there.

40. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK this might give you an insight into what's screwed up.

Sound was set on blank, I just switched it to Windows Default.

Audio is NOT on SigmaTel, infact SigmaTel isn't even an option. It's on 'Modem #1 Line Playback', and I can tell you it's been that way for a while.

41. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

As for, not being there now, it is because it was uninstalled.

Did you have the Disc for your mother board? The audio driver would be on that.
    Or try going to Windows Update and check the Hardware downloads to see if you can find something dealing with Sigmatel. Or let it search for available downloads for your PC, it may help being Sigmatel is uninstaled now

42. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

The only hardware update available is something to do with my modem. Nothing about sound there.

Aghh why don't SigmaTel have a website where you can sue them?!

43. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK musksnipe, it's getting on to 3:30 AM here, which means it's time for me to hit the sack.

I will hand the responsibility to you now :p (don't worry I'm not expecting any miracles), thanks for your efforts till now though, I appreciate it.

Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow a miracle will have occurred and we'll have a driver that can actually install :p.

Good night then.

44. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First, set a new Restore Point.
    I want you to download, install, and start this app. (if by chance you can't install it because of the kernel problem go to the next step and do that first and then come back to this)
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/RegSeeker_d2579.html
    When you have it running, click the "Find in Registry" option. Make sure all of the "Keys" boxes are checked. Type Sigmatel in the "Search for" box. Now click "Search"
    When it is done running it should have found anything that has to do with Sigmatel.
    Click "Select" and then "Select All" Then click "Action" and then "Delete" You will be asked to backup, click "Yes".

Now let's see if we can solve the kernel problem, without those commands, because I am not good at that.
    Look in your Windows System32 folder.
    Look for these 3 files: (They're not hard to find, just scroll down to the S's and they should be there.)
    Stdole32.tlb
    Stdole2.tlb
    Stdole.tlb

Now I hope you have your XP disc. Put it in now and close Auto-Play if it opens.
    Goto Start>Run and type cmd.exe
    Press Enter.
    In the Command Window, type sfc /SCANNOW
    This will compare your files to the Windows original files and should replace any missing ones and repair any corrupt ones. (It will not change any personal data)
    When it is done look back into System32 to see if your files are there, if they were missing before.

Hopefully, all Sigmatel is gone, your install shield problem is fixed and you will be able to install your driver now.

45. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK, we have some sort of achievement.

I used the RegSeeker and deleted all registry entries to do with SigmaTel (there were about 160), and then installed the original driver (the very first one you gave).

Surprisingly it didn't hang and the installation completed. I rebooted and went to Device Manager where SigmaTel C-Major Audio was present and there was no exclamation mark! I then switched the Audio and Sound tabs to SigmaTel and was able to open the volume controls and all that.

However there's still a problem. Sound appears to play but nothings coming out of the speakers. All the volume tabs are at high levels and nothing is muted as far as I know, so why could this be happening?

46. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

As for the three files you wanted me to check for, I don't seem to have Stdole.tlb but I do have Stdole2 and Stdole32. Unfortunately I don't have the XP CD so I couldn't run the fix, is there any other way of getting that particular file?

47. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, there is I anticipated something like that, considering how this has been going, LOL

This is a download at MS. One of the files in it is STdole.tl. My understanding is that this is how the file would be named on an original Win OS disc, but once in your System32 folder it is changed to the .tlb extension.
    Download and open the file, then move the STdole.tl into System32 folder. You will probably have to change the extension to .tlb once there.
    Download Ww1116.exe now

I hope this does the trick.

Attached Files:

48. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

OK got the file, moved it to the system32 folder, how do I change the extension to TLB?

49. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Right click on it, choose rename, and just add the b to the end. (Once you see it highlighted, left click on it and then you should see the cursor instead of the highlight)

50. aazim007

aazim007 Private E-2

No but see the exact filename is 'STDOLE.TL_' so should I add the 'b' after the '_' or erase that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds