Slow Response To Mouse Click - Not Boot Time

Discussion in 'Software' started by DON GAYNOR, Jun 10, 2018.

1. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

My Windows 10 computer boots up pretty fast (40 seconds for a cold boot) but when I click on an icon to launch a program there is a considerable delay of several seconds.

I don't know how to remove items from my start menu if that is the problem.

Also, I see about 15 instances of Microsoft C++ runtime. is it safe to remove all except the latest version?

I had installed Wise Care which seemed to slow my computer so I uninstalled it but didn't regain my former speed.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No. Different programs require different versions. If you remove some, programs will not work.

You discovered that it isn't good practice to use any program saying it will "speed up" or clean up your computer.
    Can you restore your computer to before you installed Wise Care?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Restore failed and I don't have another restore point!

Attached Files:

4. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I had some orphaned files after uninstalling Wise Care 360 and ran Revo to find and delete them. Speed has improved but definitely not as responsive as it had been previously. Is anything that I could try before I resort to a clean reinstall of W10? I really hesitate to get that deep into the problem.

TIA

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Honestly, I don't know. I don't run Windows 10.
    I either choose to create a restore point in Windows 7 before I do something drastic or I grab the newest image I made and install that to get the crude off the computer.

6. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I ran Defraggler on a wim and gained a tiny bit more speed. I'll post the ultimate solution when/if I find it.

I had a lot of fragments but it is at "0" fragments now.

7. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Still no joy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds