Some characters showing up as blank boxes/boxes with numbers inside

Discussion in 'Software' started by sparta, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sparta

sparta Private E-2

Hello, I have had this issue for a long time. I am using Windows XP. I was browsing a forum yesterday and some girl posted "I love you" with some weird letters (ℒ♡ⓥℯ ㄚ♡ⓤ) but I just can't see it right. It is not another language like Chinese/Japanese/Korean, it is just some funny looking letters which my computer can't recognize. And it is the same with Firefox and Chrome, so it is not browser related. I have read a lot but can't really make it work. Does anyone know what this is about and can anyone help me ?

Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. sparta

sparta Private E-2

Hey, yeah, pretty much the same for me. Do you know how this can be fixed ? It's a little annoying when someone says to me "look what they posted, isn't it nice", and all I see is white boxes and squares :s

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Other than installing a ton of font packs and enabling multi-language support, sorry I do not know. Past asking, maybe?

It used to be that some websites would offer you the font for download if the site required it. I don't think that is possible on things like forum responses and such.

Can you post the URL (provided it isn't private)? I am curious if it shows the same for me.

5. sparta

sparta Private E-2

I posted the funny characters in my original post, can you see them ? And how do I install the font packs ?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. sparta

sparta Private E-2

Yes, I think the characters you posted in the second link are the way they should look.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Which probably means it is an OS X specific font.

Edit: Nope. It looks fine in Windows 8.1 too.

Are you on XP by any chance?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did some research:

These are the three fonts used:

Arial Unicode MS
    Heiti SC
    Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN

10. sparta

sparta Private E-2

I am on XP, yes. I will have a look at the fonts you posted. Thanks :)

11. sparta

sparta Private E-2

I installed Arial Unicode MS and the symbols showed up correctly. I guess this was the missing font on my computer. Thanks a lot once again :)

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad I could help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds