Spontaneous Reboots Are Really Bsods (duh!)(xp-sp3)...

Discussion in 'Software' started by GSGregg, Nov 15, 2017.

1. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

...once Automatically Restart is unchecked, and time is sufficient to allow display of the Stop message. I got fed up with over 50 of them since Sept 1st, and looking for a remedy led me to Adrynalyne's 6-21-2004 article about Debugging Memory Dumps, so I decided to try my hand, starting with downloading the Microsoft Debugging Tools.

I have .NET Framework 2, 3, 3.5, 4 Client Profile and 4 Extended (which I FINALLY got to install); when I run the SDK for Windows 7.1 Setup, I'm greeted by an 'Installation Failed' panel, and told to refer to 'Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm' document for further information.

I'll be happy to, once I learn where to look for the document.

Also, do I need any of the updates? At one point I was under the impression that 4.0.3 was the only one that would install on XP, but various links send me to MS's site where nothing earlier than 4.5 is available (well, 3.5, but I already have that).

I'd appreciate any help, and would like to welcome you all to my part of The World of XP Holdouts.

GSGregg

AtlBo likes this.
  2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

GSGregg likes this.
  3. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Hmmm...I guess (XP-SP3) at the end of the thread title was insufficient, so.....

XP Pro SP3, Celeron D-331 @2.66GHz on SiS 661FX-M7 AGP-8X, Ati Radeon HD4670 1GB

Thanks, Max; I will now follow your SFC link.

GSG

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

GSGregg...Bluescreens can be hardware related. Take a look in Event Viewer and see if you see any "Disk" errors. I believe they are found in Windows->System. You might also be able to learn something by running a chkdsk. Right click on the drive and select Tools (check now)->then select both options and select the start button. When prompted, choose Y to run the chkdsk on boot. Failing disks give off signs, and Windows is decent at picking up on them, even in XP...

GSGregg likes this.
  5. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Thanks, AtlBo; I have run CHKDSK and the drive was pronounced clean, and I am sinking my nose into BlueScreenView almost constantly, it seems (my 'over 50' count is now 61), and of course the emphasis is on drivers. Another wrinkle, though; I ran System File Checker and, as Max Turner said, the scan just ended without any confirmation, so I ran SFC a second time for verification, and the only indication was that it completed the second scan a bit more quickly, so I assumed the files to be correct. The wrinkle:

Before SFC, gaming was as usual, but afterward an error code indicated insufficient video card memory (game could not create offscreen surface), so I went to Device Manager and saw that 'This Device (the graphics card) Cannot Start'. It looks like my near-future upgrading plan is being moved up. not only is Firefox finally pulling the plug on XP soon, but buying another AGP-8X gfx card ($125 July 2011---now, who knows?) for the short time left is ludicrous...

I would like to solve the BSODs, rather than throw in the towel with a problem unsolved, but the new multicore CPU, PCIe 3.0 mainboard and GDDR4 vidcard are calling...

Thanks for trying, everyone!

Gregg

AtlBo likes this.
  6. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Gregg,
    Power down and totally disconnect. Open up the case and examine the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard for any obvious discoloring or bulging, especially on the tops, where the etched X groove marks are located to allow for expansion. If you find one or more of these doming or bulging, then you have a probable answer ... failure. Many shutdowns and the inability to run with the display driver enabled are symptoms of failing capacitors. Here is a link to more discussion on this matter ...
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-reapair-capacitors-on-computer-motherboards/

GSGregg and AtlBo like this.
  7. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Sounds software related to me.......run Malwarebytes in safe mode and delete what it finds, check the log!
    In Event Viewer, what does WINLOGON file say? This will update by dumping a new c:\bootex.log at boot.
    What softs have you installed before the BSOD, have you done a clean out from control panel? Whats running from startup?
    Is system restore an option?
    :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    AtlBo likes this.
  8. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Apologies for the late response, guys; I've tried to find info that doesn't turn me into a deer in headlights, without much luck.
    This was done in January '17 when I visited an I.T. tech for random freeze-ups (mouse stops moving, keyboard unresponsive...PSU main switch the only way out, restart successful until the next freeze, which could be minutes...or days). However, the freezes continued and some new gremlin began requiring that I leave the XP-SP3 CD in its tray if I wanted the computer to boot; if I didn't / don't, the boot sequence stalls at 'Press any key to boot from CD..." I avoid pressing unless I want Installation to begin, but apparently the disk acts as a stepping stone.

Having gotten fed up with slowly deteriorating performance, I formatted and reinstalled from the CD (for the third time) on March 5 or thereabouts, finding it easier to pick Bitdefender Free from a webpage than to find and reinstall Avast, which the tech had installed. BD later put out a product, Security for XP and Vista, with a 6-month free license before retail will kick in, and I downloaded it July 30. I recall only spontaneous restarts at that time (plus the freezes), and was unaware of BSOD events until I unchecked Automatically Restart in My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings.

The first BSOD recorded was on Sept 1st, and the next on the 14th. Things snowballed from there.

I can't verify this, but it 'feels' like July 30 is about when the restarts began

I did have Malwarebytes for two years, but the term was about up in January and I / we didn't re-up; I never ran anything sophisticated, outside of what I think was called a Startup scan...

I forget what WINLOGON told me, and I haven't found whatever it was that told me how to utilize it. I went to System Restore and wanted to find a checkpoint prior to Sept 14 (mentioned above); found a reference to software being downloaded on the 13th, so chose the 12th---I guess I should have picked the 14th, right? That way, whatever was DLed / installed would still be here...DOH!

I don't think I DLed much beyond that XP - Vista security product, but I had no way to look it up even before the System Restore, because one of the BSODs deleted my Downloads history up to Oct 6th. After that, when I had started trying to troubleshoot this, I went after .Net Framework 4 to accompany the debugging tools; the System Restoration lost those for me.....

Thanks, all, for the interest in my white elephant, and for the Alerts (I finally clicked on the number to see what it meant...)

Gregg

AtlBo likes this.
  9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Just get the free version (it will offer a two week premium real time trial but you can uncheck that, especially if you run AVG) then run a full 'THREAT' scan in Safe Mode.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware.html

10. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Does Malwarebytes have its own Safe Mode, or are you referring to Windows?

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Windows Safe Mode.

GSGregg likes this.
  12. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Ah. Thanks, Max.

13. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

I can't plan on a precise account of my shenanigans, because the BSODs / spontaneous restarts have become more frequent, and I've lost two posts before I could get them onto Notepad. Here goes nuthin'---

I tried to find some instruction about the Windows Debugging Tools, but Microsoft said something like, "This article is for programmers" and directed us 'users' to "Troubleshoot BSODs", which left us with little more than driver update, etc. What would be the logical way to approach the drivers...start with the recent bluescreens and work my way back? (Or the reverse?) Go by the most appearances in the "Caused by Driver" list? (There are eight drivers accounting for 73 BSODs, with five more splitting up over 15 more, and a few with no cause listed.

What about deleting / renaming the Minidump file, and picking off the new ones as they come up?

Thanks, all;

Gregg (P.S: Well, whaddya know!? It held up...)

AtlBo likes this.
  14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you still have the original COA Product Key for your original XP installation, and the driver CD that would have accompanied it, if it was my system I would just reinstall Windows XP - that is if you want to stick with an OS that is blown with security flaws.

Replicator and GSGregg like this.
  15. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Max;

I do have the key and the install disk, but in spite of Checkdisk saying the C:\ drive is clean or healthy, XP seems to get slower and slower---a main culprit is Firefox gobbling over 90% of CPU and making it difficult to see what else may be hungry. I'm about ready to scrap XP in favor of W8.1 (but I've been saying stuff like that for six years) since FF did, or will soon, discontinue support for XP and relegate it to MAME cabinets and Pincabs (without internet connections, of course.)

My upgrade has been two-phased; first, just replace XP with a newer OS to regain my ability to catch missed TV shows, watch U-Tube, etc., which I could still do until March or April of this year. However, that would involve using my existing motherboard and graphics card, both of which are now suspect if replacing drivers doesn't solve things.

Phase two is CPU, MB, GFX card, and maybe a bigger PSU.....plus memory. I've spent so much time chasing this thing, though (the random freezes have been around since late last year and prompted my I. T. expenditure on Jan 10th, while the BSODs started Sept 1st but weren't apparent until I found out about unchecking Automatically Restart, recently) that the time I had saved for a smooth transition is dwindling rapidly.

Hark; is someone knocking on my mailbox?

AtlBo likes this.
  16. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you get around to looking into the graphics card, you really don't need to do much. Just pull the AGP card (assuming your motherboard has onboard graphics since some don't) and hook up to the motherboard graphics to see if that fixes your issue. Make sure to unplug the PC before you pull anything of course...

GSGregg likes this.
  17. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

So, this takes the place of my overdue edit, I guess.....

After I ran the Malwarebutes Threat Scan, I found out that my license is Lifetime, and not two years---how the heck did I forget THAT? Anyway, the scan found Potentially Unwanted Programs and quarantined them - all 129 of them - but nothing was improved, plus I can't get Anti-Exploit to fun for more than about two seconds.

Something else to look into.....

Gregg

18. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

This is what I would do as a first course of action, you cant be sure its hardware related until the same issues seem to appear after a format, and clean install of Win10.

Not sure what your hardware specs are....will have to go back and see your earlier posts if listed?
    If your confident your specs will run 8.1, it will run 10 no drama's.
    The choice is yours from here on in!

19. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

The onboard GFX (either SiS 315, or Real 256) have been gone for years...Windows comes to the rescue with VgaSave, though, with 640 x 480 4-bit color---boy, that four-bit color is really somethin'! :D

AtlBo likes this.
  20. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Replicator;

Celeron D331 @ 2.67GHz on SiS 661FX-M7 AGP-8X 2GB RAM (max for the board---when I got it, there was 512 MB (2 x 256) and Ati Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3.

I made sure that my specs were at least bare-minimum for 8.1, and support should be about six years with, I think, a Haswell CPU. If I go with Skylake or Kaby Lake, W10 will be mandatory (and more expensive, right? Not having W7 for the last seven years, I didn't qualify for the free upgrade to 10, plus their strongarm tactics turned me off).

Gregg

AtlBo likes this.
  21. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Yeh your on a bare minimum there and any multitasking would slow the whole show down for sure. Graphics is a pearler though!
    What are your thoughts on Linux?
    I know every windows buff hates that word, but I run Kali 2017 on an old AMD dual core with 2g of Ram and it flies. Heaps of GUI involved these days with really cool apps pre-installed including FireFox, and drivers
    Hey, there's an idea for possible troubleshooting of your situation?
    Can you run a live version of Kali from USB, boot to that, and see if your current issues persist?
    That should at least let you know if its hardware related, or software! ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  22. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Don't know much, really...In 2011, I upgraded my 2 x 256 MB RAM to 2 x 1GB, and about two weeks later one of the DIMMs practically blew up, scrambling the boot sector(?) into a permanent loop - BIOS, BIOS, flash of XP page, back to BIOS, etc. Memtest86 turned half of the page red, and errors shot up to hundreds of thousands before I could throw the switch. I had to put the HDD into an ext enc, and got a disk of Knoppix to help out, although I didn't need it, as the drive was mostly OK as long as it wasn't used as the boot drive.

I looked at Knoppix for a few weeks, but decided my high-school reading retention deficiency from 47 years earlier would keep me from getting anywhere with it. I haven't been able to delete the Linux Questions email, though....

Which word - Graphics (integrated), pearler, or Linux? :D

Here's the good part; "What's a Kali?" :eek:

Gregg

23. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Hehe, click the link in my post 21

GSGregg likes this.
  24. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

25. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Well.....I give up. I was going to check out Kali, and then I had thirteen stoppages yesterday - eight bluescreen events, seven of which cited drivers, and five freezes - two of which were while booting at the second BIOS page. I've been lucky to complete an email or a post before the machine cuts off or restarts.

Time to move forward with Phase Two, and select a CPU-Motherboard combo. Thanks to all who provided input, and BOTTOMS UP! :( :)

Gregg

26. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Our Motto.....try harder!

Did you manage to make a bootable USB (either Win10 or Kali) and try that?
    You mention you can get into the BIOS, so setting first boot order to USB should be possible.
    Can you make the bootable USB from another device seeing yours keeps Blue-screening? (use an 8g flash drive at minimum)

Option 2: Format and clean install Windows?

GSGregg likes this.
  27. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Replicator;

I followed your link and learned what Kali is, but before acting on it, I fell asleep - and awoke to a frozen mouse and unresponsive keyboard with the desktop displayed (Btw, some of the restarts have shuffled my desktop shortcuts without any apparent sorting, but always the same layout, so I gave up rearranging them).

I opened the tower, pulled the GFX card, blew out some dust and looked for pregnant capacitors, but found none. The spontaneous reboots didn't start until Sept 1st, but the freezes, which can occur at any time and during any activity, have been a problem for over a year and were the reason I took the comp for cleaning, formatting and clean install back in January (sorry for the redundancy of rehashing post #15...). Anyway, it seems that the BIOS may be at least partially at fault, and that means the MB is junk, right?
    I do have a SanDisk 8GB flash drive, but it has some utilities my nephew gave me, and I'm comfortable burning ISO to CD/ DVD, so I still might try Kali, anyway.
    I don't remember having to change the boot order; just be there to 'Press Any Key..."
    The only other devices I can access (I have no smart-phone or anything) are at the Library, but they don't allow users to input anything - I don't recall even seeing a CD or USB socket, but it sounds strange that a computer would be made without any. Maybe I'll take a longer look.
    I've thought about it, but my free six months of Bitdefender Security For XP And Vista are up in 56 days. Ironic: I'm not 100% sure it doesn't have a role in this, as Bitdefender Free was aboard since before January, and the machine worked relatively well until well after the July 30 change.

Ahhh...verbosity. ;)

28. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

No, not at all.....the job of the BIOS is purely to boot the Operating System when you power on.
    This seems to be happening with your case, its just that once the OS is booted, that's when the issues occur so the bios seems to be functioning and doing its job.
    Remember it is always an option to flash the bios with new (up-to-date) firmware if so required.

Great! A bootable DVD will work just fine......USB/DVD are simply portable storage devices so either will suffice.

Even better!

Your nephew sounds like a smart kid, can you two get together and perhaps construct the bootable image on his pute?

Don't stress about a few days left on paid software, I will show you how to get better for free once we solve this and get your pute back on track.
    I hear ya! :D
    Your a smart guy, I can tell by the way you use HTML coding in your posts....you can do it!

Rep

GSGregg likes this.
  29. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Plus I'm dying to find out if the same issues occur once booted to an unattached OS separate of the host install?

GSGregg likes this.
  30. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

When you submitted post #28, I was reading some XP-related chronicles and got a bluescreen event; when I was reading the post, 30 minutes after the first event, I got another one. Don't ask me how I was able to craft post #27 without falling out.....

My nephew, age 41, is one of those people who grew up with a computer in every pore, and I've had this tower to him a few times. Recently, though, he grew bored with Southern California and took a job that bases him in one of the Dakotas eight or nine months of the year, so we won't have any powwows this time. (Do they have computers in Deadwood?)

Gotta call time out; hankerin' fer a cocktail that I will postpone until I get back with dinner (Carl's Jr or Jack in the Box - to be determined). Then, if energy permits, I'll grab Kali and have a party.....

31. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Between the two Kali 32-bit offerings; do I want the full 2.9GB version? or the 'Light' 0.8GB version...

Gregg

32. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

You want the full version as it will be far more usable for you with GNU (GUI interfaces).
    Make sure its the live version (ISO Image) so you can boot to it.
    See here
    Once booted to it, give it a good play around for an hour or more to see if your issues persist.
    If all good, then you will know that your probs are software related and all hardware is fine!

Give it a chance and watch the youtube vids on Kali to learn your way around effectively!
    If you like what you see, then you may want to entertain an install to your hard drive but make sure you back up any important data you want first from the old OS install, then do a full format before install.

GSGregg likes this.
  33. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

Notes from the 'Oh, What Fun!' Dept:

I DL'ed Kali Linux 2017.3-i386 ISO (listed at 2.9GB, but the 2.5-hr download started at 2.7), and had no fewer than 6 stoppages; surprisingly, the download resumed after each restart, which I thought couldn't happen...there was a pair of 'Part' files in my Downloads folder each time, with the file size increasing. Dang, y'all; I might get through this! Showered and shaved, swallowed the day's meds, the DL was at 2.55GB of 2.7...

AND FAILED!

I'm going to see if, when I start another DL, it will point itself at the big Part and finish that last 9 0r 10 minutes - otherwise, try another 2.5 hours.

I got both the Win32 Disk Imager (Image Writer) source and binary zips, but neither, according to the Readme, can write CD-Roms. so I guess that ends my plan of using a disk. Is win32D-I the only usable utility for this job? I have ImgBurn, which handled the bootable W8.1 when I had been told to use only the Windows Burn Tool, and the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service that came with XP.

Got a new wrinkle today; along with the Spontaneous Reboot/Restart/Bluescreens (with and without cited faulty drivers), and the nothing-moves Freezes, I now get total nonresponse - just like a freeze except that the mouse pointer still moves.....

Danged computer must have met my ex-wife!

Gregg

P.S: Earlier, you mentioned flashing the BIOS; that's been tried, but there is never a suitable replacement for this old Phoenix...

34. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Yeh that's simply too long for the download, the issues with windows on your system simply aren't getting the job done.
    You gotta build the bootable image from another system mate! If possible ;)

ROFLMAO :D

GSGregg likes this.
  35. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

What about my using the Knoppix disk from way back when; if we just want any non-MS OS, would that do?

My internet download speed is only 175 - 230 kbps (even though I pay for 'up to' 3Mbps, there's always someone cutting corners.....

Gregg

36. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Do it at the library, or an internet café that has usb ports enabled on their machines!

37. GSGregg

GSGregg Private E-2

The Library has blocked up- or downloads; you can set up a printer project, but three gigs seems a bit excessive...

My older niece, the only remaining area family member willing to host holiday gatherings, says, bring it on down (hubby knows computers and stuff), but she / they are busy up to our Xmas feast on the 16th. I don't relish waiting, but.....)

Maybe I'll stumble onto something.

I went ahead and booted up to Knoppix, and the first thing it did was freeze about 10 seconds after the splash screen - about 6 or more events, but only two generated XP bluescreens - finally a log was generated (black screen, fine white print - Knoppix's version of BSOD?)

Firefox is supposedly included on the disk, but I couldn't pull it up or connect to the web to try the download. Something called Iceweasel awoke when I clicked Web Browser, but to no avail. Oh,well...will play again tomorrow.

G

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds