Ssd Vs Hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Howmanator, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

I trust Major Geeks to give me good reliable information, that's why I need input on the merits of SSDs. I want to use the new solid state drive, but I'm hesitant because of the technical issues of migrating data from the HHD to the SSD. I've always bought 1TB drives because of the size of my Steam library and the cheapest SSD for my budget is 500GB.

Windows 7 on my c: drive is using 77GB so far, therefore I think I just need to allocate 100GBs for the O/S with 400GB left for my games. I'm not comfortable trying to use the HDD as storage, unless I can get clear directions. Does what I shared make sense?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are plenty of reputable online articles about the benefits of an SSD over a conventional hard drive for system files.
    There are also plenty of reputable online guides to transferring data between them.
    HDD is absolutely fine for all storage and even running some programs. If the existing HDD is in good condition you have no worries.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Max is correct. Why wouldn't you be comfortable? You've been using it for storage and more already. I use a SSD for my OS and programs and have several HDDs for storage. Unless the HDD is exhibiting issues, it's most likely still good. This will give you an overview of your HDDs health, if that is a concern: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/crystaldiskinfo.html

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

The technical issues are no different than migrating from one HD to another HD.

5. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Thanks for answering. I'm not having any issues with my HDD, just want the speed of SSD.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That speed is only useful for system files and everyday programs.
    The speed of an SSD is not needed for data storage.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds