Switching users & desktops?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shanrene123, Nov 20, 2006.

1. shanrene123

shanrene123 Private First Class

I have been working on a friend's PC -- an hp pavilion (a527x) that's running WinXP-SP2. I just spent days cleaning all the spyware off of it, & finally got an OK from Chaslang that it was clean! However, I'm getting ready to return it, & now when I log off from one user & click on the 2nd user to change desktops, the monitor just goes black with a flashing cursor for a few seconds. Cannot get anything else to come up on the monitor then, & haven't had any trouble with the monitor or any other hardware up to this point. I turned off "hibernate", etc...in "Power Options" in the Control Panel. Any ideas here as to the cause? PC is running fine otherwise. Although can't seem to get MyWayWebSearch spyware off of it. Have tried all help in "Anti-Spyware" page. Anyone had this happen before to them or anyone know a possible cause & solution? Thanks bunches, in advance!:) Shannon

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Create a new user account, move all the personal folders in the mal-functioning one to the new account thru explorer, delete the mal-functioning one.

3. shanrene123

Tim, how do I import the folders, etc...into the "new user account"? I can't figure out how to do it on my own. Looked thru the stuff in "User Accounts" in control panel. Thanks again:) ! Shannon

4. TimW

Right click start / explore ...scroll down to c/docs and settings ...expand both user accouts ...( you may have to go to tools / folder options / and click show hidden files and folders) ...then just right click the folders in the old account (application data / start menu ....etc.) and scroll to new user and paste into appropriate folders.

5. shanrene123

Hey, Tim. More trouble still! I followed your suggestion, & created the new user account, transferred files, & deleted the other account. However, when I try to switch users from one account to other, my monitor is still turning off. I will try creating another new account & deleting the other existing account & see if that fixes it. Under "Power Options", I have checked for my monitor to "never" turn off by itself after so many minutes. Any ideas on what may be causing this? Can both of the old user accounts be "corrupt" somehow? Just confused:eek: Thanks, Shannon

6. TimW

This is strange ....create a new account but don't transfer any settings to it ...build it up as if from scratch ....see if it is problematic ....or try this ..in the recently created account go to start / run / type "sfc /scannow" without qoutes and let it run atleast twice (have the xp cd handy).

7. MontyPalmer

MontyPalmer Private E-2

What happens when you log into the problem account in safe mode? When you transferred the account files over, you might have also transferred over a bad guy or two. If you can log into that account in safe mode, then perform all of the scrubbing you did to get the currently functional account working.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds