System Restore Max Usage Slider Being Reset By Some Ghost! (not Me)

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Jan 17, 2016.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Greetings!

Apparently, I have a ghost moving my System Restore "Max Usage" Slider for me. (not me)
    This seems to be happening for all drives monitored.
    I have a small 80 GB SSD for C: and try to keep 25% of it open with free space.
    I keep setting my Max Usage slider back down to 5% or 10% and when I check back in a couple of days, it's back up to 100%.
    I don't know if having system restore monitoring my extra drives has any effect on this.
    I just disabled Sys Restore for all but C:
    I have Acronis True Image running, yet System Restore still has a place on the tool shelf.

Desktop. 12 GB RAM. Win7x64. No Avast (I use MSE).
    I have some other problems I have not had a chance (time) to fully address; just sayin'

Any clue what's up with this?

TIA

DrCarl

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Just a quick question: Are you deleting old system restore points periodically?
    You can do that using the Tools > System Restore options in CCleaner where you can choose which or how many points to remove, , or within Windows 7 use Disk Clean Up > Clean Up System Files and it will remove all but the last SR point.
    I am not saying 100% that a lot of existing SR points are causing your issue but it sounds logical it might be.

3. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Yes I have deleted SR points with both Win & CC. What it is logical to me is that I set the Max Usage with the slider, and older SR points drop away as new ones are added ... never to exceed the "Max" I set. If I allow 5 GB max, I get about 5 restore points, and adding the 6th makes the first one drop off. Right now the 6th just increases the max without my permission, or something (like a ghost)
    is increasing the max just to freak me out! I wonder if restore points are all stored on C, or if D is on D and R on R, etc. Google is my friend (& MG)

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK when you go to system restore > configure settings > and set the usage in the slider bar, are you clicking 'apply' until it greys out, then clicking 'ok' then and after?
    I appreciate it might seem a silly question but it does need to be asked.

5. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Silly questions are OK.
    I pretty much automatically, routinely and mindlessly click "Apply" then "OK", although since it is so mindless, it's possible that I just "OK"d out.
    (And, considering the name "System" Restore, I wonder if there is any use in setting restore points for all the additional non-system drives)
    I just checked it again now and it's holding since yesterday.
    Thanks for your consideration.

Nick T likes this.
  6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey drcarl, if possible try to keep us informed if there is any change. Thank you.

7. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Will do!

8. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Lacking easy to find answers which are probably buried in mountains of "how to do a system restore", I resorted to doing a bunch of experimenting.

Max Usage allotted now on my small C drive is holding at 6% (4.47 GB).

I manually made 21 restore points with the Max set at 6% and found that once 6% was exceeded, the first restore points (RPs) were dropped as expected.

I also enabled SR for my other data drives and learned that there was a small increase in the System Volume Information (thank you WinDirStat) on my small "C" SSD when data drives were configured to save RPs.

I still don't know if there is any benefit to setting RP for data drives, so, for now, that's disabled.

I'll log another follow up sme time in the future.

Thanks all

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I see no point in having System Restore points for anything but the OS system drive.
    Other drives, that are simply data drives, can if needed be periodically backed up to USB drives and/or cloud storage,

10. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Thank you

11. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

drcarl...

Isn't the primary purpose for system restore on a backup drive that programs installed onto the remote drive can be removed by system restore if the drive is also being monitored by SR?

I am referring to the times that a user installs programs onto a remote drive. This is a security measure in case a system becomes unstable. It's the same theory as restoring to a point in time before the installation of a misbehaving program, only in the instance of someone installing programs to a remote drive, the program is located there and then removed from there by system restore (as long as the drive is being monitored).

Definitely SR is not backup. Not a good idea to think of it that way, considering all its data is contained on the main drive, which could become unusable...

12. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Sorry, but it's probably too late for me now. Your post LOOKS like English, yet I am having a VERY HARD time getting my head wrapped around it. Maybe tomorrow. (And maybe you can elaborate?)

Best

DrCarl

13. AtlBo

Seeking verification that the purpose for there being the possibility in Windows of activating System Restore for a remote drive is really only for the case where someone is installing programs to the drive. System Restore takes your programs and registry back in time...not your files, so I don't see ANY reason to turn it on for a data drive.

Some people install programs on backup/remote drives. I think this is why MS made it possible to use system restore for those drives...

I shouldn't have addressed the comment to you drcarl. I was wanting to see if anyone had knowledge of why system restore is even useful on a remote or why it's possible to include a remote drive under system restore...

14. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

AtlBo: I am curious. What is your native tongue?

What I get from your post is that SR only need be enabled for "data" drives if they are used also for programs.

I have MOST of my programs on my D drive to keep space free on my tiny SSD C drive.

I want to thank you for your commentary as I derived a point of reference, or a perspective that helped me make a proper decision in utilizing the theory and practice of SR points so that my computing life does not come to a premature and unpleasant death. (See? I can do that, too!)

I just re-enabled SR on D, and checked the configuration for C. Bad news. Max Usage slider at 100% again.

WTF? I mean WTH?

LOL?

15. AtlBo

It's english drcarl...

SR is a hard thing to explain. The only purpose for system restore is to roll back after installing a program that breaks the functionality of Windows. SR isn't any sort of backup, which may confuse people sometimes. If your PC stumbles, you can get rid of a problem program by rolling back to a time before it was installed. This CAN also help with malware issues and does sometimes, as long as the malware hasn't destroyed the restore points on the PC.

I was just asking if situations like yours are the only reason to use SR on a secondary drive (only program installations on the drive). I can't think of another reason to enable it on a secondary drive, but I wasn't sure if there might be something I was missing, such as Windows SR does save copies of files located on a secondary drive when SR is enabled for the drive. If you have files/backups on the drive and programs, maybe SR is recording both. That was what I was attempting to learn...if that is the case with secondary drives. SR doesn't record files/backups on the main drive.

I don't install programs to secondary drives, so I can't speak for why SR has changed that setting. That doesn't make sense to me, honestly. I could see you having fewer restore points perhaps.

What does the slider now say is the max amount to be used (in GB)? Also, you may have said earlier, but do you recall what the number was before you enabled SR on the D drive this most recent time?

16. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If I may make a suggestion drcarl - rather than installing programs on D why not move your personal folders from C to D and reinstall your software on C, where it should be? 80GB is masses of space for Windows and all the software you will ever need, and also uses your SSD effectively. SSDs are meant to give you fast random read/write, not to store data that is mostly static. Your personal folders, Docs, Pics etc, have a Location tab in their Properties which you can use for this purpose. I'm quite certain this will resolve your current dilemma over SR.

17. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

OK, great. I understand. I suspected that it's the English language I am reading. Sincerely and respectfully, I really do wonder. Is English your native tongue? Is that the language you first learned? I'll not hold my breath for an answer. I am simply curious.

SR may be hard to explain, but is sure is easy to understand. I was only missing a detail or two, like does the SR put system data onto only C or on both C and D (and R and G and F and my other "other" drives). As you know, I am trying to figure out why the Max Usage keeps getting changed, not by me. I do appreciate your comments because that's another way for me to learn.

That SR is changing the setting, and that it does not make sense to you is where we are in agreement. That's the point of this thread. I do not know why you say you'd have fewer restore points; did I mention how many I have? Is two too many?

BTW, I use Acronis True Image 2016 to perform actual backups to a 5 GB external USB 3.0 "G" drive dedicated for real backups. I do not enable SR for that drive.

Slider report:
    For my tiny 80 GB C System drive - 6% (4.47 GB) Current Usage: 2.76 GB. Slider holding as set.
    For my 1 TB "other" drive (data and programs) - 2% (18.63 GB) - Current Usage 49.88 MB. Slider holding as set.

Before I enabled SR on the D drive, the slider for C was also set at 6%

;)

18. AtlBo

You misunderstand what I mean by the above. I didn't mean to say you WOULD have fewer restore points, I was intending to say that I could understand if MS had set Windows SR to keep the slider as you set it and then just have created fewer restore points with the space available at that slider setting (since there is more data being collected from the two drives).

I am not clear on one thing. Do you have a slider for each drive? As I mentioned, I have never tried setting SR on a secondary drive before...

19. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Earthling, Hi. I hope all is well with you and yours.

Here's how I figure it....Since my 80 GB (however tiny it feels) is certainly enough for Windows, yet NOT enough to hold that OS plus the 44 GB of programs in D:\Program Files, and the 3 GB in D:\Program Files (x86), I have at EVERY possible opportunity, installed programs onto D.

Of course my 293 GB of photos (I'm a photographer) can't fit on C - lol - nor can my music and all the other true "data" files. I have toyed with the idea of tricking the "My Documents" and other similar folders to reside on D as well, but figure that I'll migrate to a larger SSD before I really need to mess with that and flirt with breaking Windows.

There are a very few programs that I DO deliberately use the SSD for, and quite a few that kind of insist on being on C. As many programs, and as much static data that I can direct resides on D (1 TB) and my R (1 TB) is also, like D about 3/4 full.

It interesting that you mention "Your personal folders, Docs, Pics etc, have a Location tab in their Properties which you can use for this purpose". I lit up WinDirStat to see what area takes up the most space. While that's running I looked for a Location tab for the "Libraries" nope. I spot checked a few more and found where I might liberate a GB or two. This is just the first quick peek at that possibility.

Considering that time it might take, and the possibility of breaking Windows or some installed program that might go looking on C for what it thinks might be there, I kind of hesitate and a bigger SSD (and Acronis' "migrate to a new SSD" feature is looking better and better.

I remain wondering what is changing the setting that I set.

Thanks for you input. Learned one more thing.

20. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Indeed. I expect there to be fewer RPs as the space that I set fills and kicks out the older RPs. FIFO. First in first out. Indeed MS is supposed to work that way, but the ghost keeps moving the slider to 100% Who ya gonna call?

And, yes, I do have a slider for each drive. Since there are programs on D as well as C, I have now (as noted above) enabled them both. (Max Usage set for C: holding at 6%, D: holding at 2%)

Thanks for your answer about "English." Now may I ask where you live? Do you have ANY accent at all? Or, am I completely off-base. I mean absolutely no disrespect. I am near Seattle. Thanks for your input

21. AtlBo

drcarl...

I'm from Atlanta GA. I guess I am as urban as I can be from around here, so to speak...

Question about the above. You state the sliders are holding. Which one mysteriously slid, C or D?

Your question about where the data is stored:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/system-restore-on-secondary-hard-drives?PageSpeed=noscript

This is the closest I could find to an answer and nothing from Microsoft. According to the thread, SR stores information (in Vista) on the drive being monitored. For your secondary drive, the data would then be on the D drive. Hopefully, in your situation this is correct. Your C drive SR should stay where you have set it and use only the 4.47 GB max you have set it to use.

There is almost no information concerning MS' deeper design for System Restore, especially in regards to secondary drives. Does SR use image compression to store SR data? IDK, but I can't find a single reference at all that might explain unequivocally why your slider is sliding. To add to this, you have a somewhat unusual situation in that you have programs and files on the secondary. There aren't any user references to the issue or any other similar questions in threads.

You mention that you have 44 GB of installed programs on the secondary. I would normally imagine that 44 GB would then be the least that SR could use for a restore point. Yet you mention that the slider is set at 18.63 GB. I can only amend the suspicion and guess that SR is compressing your 44 GB of program data and has calculated that it can store the data in 18.63 GB. This could explain the 18.63 number and why the slider is automatically sliding. If you are trying for less than 18.63, Windows may be disallowing your choice, because it cannot contain the the entire 44 GB for that drive in a single restore point using less than 18.63 GB. I am assuming the secondary drive is the drive on which the slider is sliding. If it's your main drive slider that is sliding, I can't think of any reason why that would happen.

SR is confusing in your situation. There isn't much on the internet about your configuration. It would help to hear from MS how exactly SR handles data on primary and secondary drives, but I can't find the information...

drcarl likes this.
  22. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

C is the one that slid....and it's holding for the moment...

That is probably true, I have not verified that. I did notice that some of the "D" data (and R when it was enabled), or something MUST be on C because when I enabled the extra drives, the size of the info on C increased, per the WinDirStat program that helps me peek at drives and what's on them.

Thanks for the link, for looking at it, and your consideration.

I'll just keep wondering....

23. AtlBo

Actually, drcarl, I may have thought of a reason why the slider slid. Question. How far did the C drive slider slide...did it move to the 4.47 GB level or have you lowered the slider again to that level?

A reasonable explanation for why the C drive slider moved up could be that adding SR monitoring of the D drive meant that SR then had to account for program data associated with your D drive programs that is located in the registry on the C drive. There is also program data associated with installed programs in your user folder on the C drive (normally) in various places. This is true no matter where programs are installed.

To sum, it's a guess, but I suppose that when you turned on the D drive SR monitoring, SR could have been forced to recalculate how much space would be required on the C drive to restore your registry and user folder program data, factoring in the fact that you want your programs on the D drive to be monitored, not just the ones on the C drive.

Just thought I would pass this on. Hopefully, you will be able to find the absolute answer. I don't know why I had such a hard time finding info on the "physics" of SR. Again, hope you find the answer...

drcarl likes this.
  24. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Thanks for your thoughts! I keep lowering it, (to 6% or 4.47 GB on C), and it goes up to 100% on its own.

25. Earthling

It is, thank you, and hope the same is true for you :)

OK, and here's how I figure it - I want to image my system once a month and I don't want the image to take forever to create or to contain any of my personal files. So I keep my system and software on my SSD (C) and everything else on other drives and if I want or need to restore an image it isn't going to write all over the current versions of my personal files. If you attempted to create a system image it would be absolutely enormous and take hours because, having installed software on D, the image will include all of D as well as C. Utterly impractical, and if you image C only the image would be unusable.

Your Win 7 and all of your software would fit comfortably on your 80GB SSD. On the 120GB SSD on this laptop I have 8.1 and 10 and a 7.5GB partition I use mostly for holding bootable ISOs. No issues at all. It's also far easier now to organise a backup regime for my data now it's separated from the OS.

That's simply because Libraries are not folders, they are just shortcuts to your folders. The folders that mostly have the Location tab are those that Explorer throws up when you click on your username in Start, and when you use the Move feature it offers to move the folder and all of its contents for you. There is no trickery required, this is all built into Windows for this purpose and while doing it Windows tries to adjust the file location settings in your software so it knows where your files now are. I have always done this on every new computer, works like a dream.

26. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you are going to use three different internal drives for programs, and you want a restore point for each drive, then you don't have much choice about the amount of space that takes. I'm astonished you have 47gb programs on drives separate to the main SSD drive.
    Life would be much easier if you just replaced the 80gb SSD with one large enough to take all programs and the system.
    It all looks to me, right now, like a bit of a dog's breakfast. The space used by SR seems like the least of your problems.

drcarl and Earthling like this.
  27. Earthling

You put it so much more succintly than I did ;)

drcarl likes this.
  28. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I use two (2) drives for programs.

C: 80 GB SSD - Windows OS and those programs I could not install to D, and some that I want speed for.
    D: 1 TB - Most programs, lots of data
    R: 1 TB - data only
    G: 5 TB external USB 3.0 - full backups of everything, and incremental backups

I have SR enabled for C (Max 6%) and D (Max 2%)

Since I have SR enabled for C and D, I don't understand why I "don't have much choice about the amount of space that takes." All I need is enough space for a few restore points, and the older ones should drop off...not magically increase my Max Usage setting on C (still holding at 6% btw)

I am taking a glance at how much space my 47 GB of programs take and now I am astonished. Outlook is using 34 GB! I am in the process of migrating from Outlook to eM Client for email handling and HAD planned to put all the old stuff into a 15 GB gmail account. They gives us 15 GB for free and now, while being astonished, I see that I have way more than that! What to do?

I guess I have to learn how to archive and compress the old Outlook files for that plan to work. Wait! 28 GB is made up of ".old" and ".bak" that I made a million years ago and can simply be deleted. Although it's n the D drive that still has space, no need have 28 GB of trash taking up space and ruining my "store all my old stuff, searchable, on a Gmail account (that'll take a few days to upload). That leaves Outlook as 7.1 GB a"active" (that I have not used in months) and a 5.4 GB archive. I may still have to cull some out to keep under the 10 GB Gmail ceiling. I am probably over-thinking and over-complicating things as usual.

Next biggest space user is the Adobe Creative Suite at 9.6 GB.

Where exactly is this "move" feature? I understand I can't move Library Shortcuts, and probably some others, too, but, um, where is the "Move" you are referring to? It would be an interesting option to be able to move installed programs to my existing SSD or to a new, larger SSD, but is that really possible without uninstalling and reinstalling?

This is the kind of thing I find online:

“Would you like to move some folders or programs off the C:\ drive to free up space or to reduce wear and tear on an expensive SSD? Unfortunately, moving folders or files off the C:\ drive to another drive or partition is not always as simple as it seems. The folder or file may be referenced in the Registry or in some script or application. If it is an installed program you are moving, you would have to uninstall it and then re-install it in the new location. Making an ordinary shortcut file won’t do because shortcuts look like separate files to programs and the Registry.

Regarding system images, since I am struggling with this Max usage issue, a "fails to sleep" issue, "Windows Explorer has stopped working" issue and perhaps other overall system changes, I am doing a complete system image once a week. It takes a couple of hours for the full 1.2 TB image to be made. I can do other things while that is happening, but usually just do something else like set it to run while watching a movie. The 4 GB incremental backups take much less time. Still, time is what I have plenty of when it's happening in the background, or when I am away.

Indeed, a larger SSD will make life easier. Acronis boasts a feature that allows a restore to dissimilar hardware, like a new SSD. I have long thought that all backups should allow a restore to different hardware in case the hardware is ruined, and one need to restore to new hardware! LOL?

Thank you all for your input.

I'll stop before I think of more

29. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

This is too confusing for me and as I said a dog's breakfast.
    The only sensible thing is to get the System and programs on one drive, the SSD drive, and if 80gb is not enough buy a bigger one.

drcarl likes this.
  30. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

You don't like dogs? LOL...agreed...bigger SSD, and install what can be there. Thanks.

31. Earthling

It's only your personal folders we were talking about, Docs, Pics, etc, and the Move feature is right there on the Location tab. Using it is problem free. Of course you can't move installed programs - I never suggested any such thing.

OK. Well my Win 10 system image is about 12GB and takes just 10-11 minutes to create or restore. That's simply because all my own stuff, including my outlook.pst file, is off of the system drive and all software is on it.

You have no need for a larger drive, just a bit more organisation. "Dissimilar hardware" btw isn't a new hard drive, it's a new motherboard. Imaging programs don't care what hard drive you have just so long as it's big enough to restore to.

drcarl likes this.
  32. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Hello Earth...thanks for the clarity.

I have no Docs, Pics, music, files, etc, on C. Nice to know that moving them is trouble-free (although I do recall cutting and pasting some pretty giant folders to other drives.

It's interesting to see now that I really could have been putting programs on C. I thought they took up a LOT more space. Even outlook has the ability to store files elsewhere. I supose most programs do, too. And, with the increasing size of SSD - that is looking good.

Of course a different Mobo would be "dissimilar" yet, it's nice to know that any hard drive will do (for restore) as long as it's big enough. It's kind of a "no duh" once I think about it.

Again, Thanks!

33. AtlBo

Drcarl...

One great thing about the way you have things set up is that you can image your current C drive contents over to the new larger drive and keep everything the same on your D drive. All your programs will function as normal while you plan to make the changeover.

Also, you will have the benefit of the 2nd SSD drive, which you can use for storing emergency backups or e-mail data, etc.

Moving the e-mail data is based on my very limited knowledge of the subject a little bit of a chore. This can be the subject of another thread if you like.

There is a little bit of planning that you will find goes into where you will place drives and how you will connect them to the PC. You can even use an empty cd/dvd bay for a hard drive and maybe fit all 3 of your drives in the single PC. I have a bracket/adapter that can be found for about $4 on ebay that I use this way to keep 3 drives in a PC. Again, when you get ready to make the transition, you can post again and go from there... :)

drcarl likes this.
  34. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I'm confused. I must say that when I look at C, and think about putting programs on C, what get's removed? ( thought I posted this)

I did some C drive clean up. The Windows Update Cleanup option not showing even after removing and reinstalling the KB update that does that trick. I ran some DOS commands and made a .BAT file outta something close to this: %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535. Got me back about 2 GB. Woo hoo. All the Windows Update files are still there taking up 12 GB. Oh well. I give up on that. A bigger SSD is in my future.

AtlBo - good ideas. I think I have a several bays open in my desktop. Kinda planned it that way. I'll probably yank the 300 MB drive that's just sitting there (not even labeled) and put the larger SSD in it's place. Let's see-e-e-e...what can I afford?

Thanks for the ideas!

35. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

UPDATE: My C (SSD) and D (data and many programs) restore slider got reset back to 100%.

36. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

SOLVED: It is related to Acronis True IMage 2016 full backup.

There was a similar issue whewre Avast moved the slider to 50% while reaching for The Cloud.

For me, as posted, it was a giant mystery about "what is resetting my max usage slider to 100% in system restore?" The unasked for change was maxing-out my C drive and making the drive icon RED (leaving some 5 MB or something tiny as "extra" space). I saw some threads online about an Avast bug (which I don't use) resetting the slider to 50% when accessing the cloud. Thinking "what do I have that shakes hands with the cloud?" Nothing. My backup program tries to sell that service fairly heavily to me. So, I checked with a great deal of trial and error testing.
    SOLVED: Acronis True Image 2016 is the culprit without a shadow of a (I mean to say ZERO) doubt. Well, there is always a chance it is something else...like user error or something.
    HERE is the Acronis Forum thread if interested. Something about the possibility of my Win7 VSS being corrupt. This will (hopefully) be a moot point in a matter of hours because I am going to Win10 which I understand does not even have Sys Restore.

FWIW - best - DrCarl

AtlBo likes this.
  37. Earthling

Where did you get that idea?

Capture.PNG

38. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

While reading the Acronis thread HERE, answers to the post I started, in post #13 one person said this:

"This scenario is almost a sure sign of Windows Shadow Copy Service corruption. It can be fixed but it also can be hard to diagnose. You also will surely loose any system restore points that exist in fixing the issue. Because of this I for one am gald to see Microsoft leaving System Protection disabled in Windows 10. Windows 10 offers enough other options to repair a system that the System Protection way of Restore Points is no longer needed. Nothing beats regular backups of course and that of course is where True Image comes into play. As you might have guessed I do not have System Protection activated on any of my systems and I do not plan on doing so either!"

Reading more slowly, I admit that leaving a feature disabled by default is not the same as not having the feature available at all.

Corrected, now I'll be saying:

" It's SORT OF a moot point in a matter of hours for me because I am going to Win10 which I understand does not have Sys Restore enabled by default."
    --while I hope that whatever VSS issues, or other problems I may have lingering in Win7, will go away with Win10's installation.

Thank you for the heads-up!

39. Earthling

I think that has changed or just isn't right Dr C, I don't recollect having to activate SR on any of the three upgraded systems here, but perhaps you would let us know after you have upgraded.

drcarl likes this.
  40. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

SR is off by default in W10 currently.

41. Earthling

Not a good idea imo. Anyone wanting to use O&OShutUp10 will need to turn it on again.

42. satrow

Blame MS, not my doing.

43. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

44. satrow

It probably depends on which install method and version you installed.

For most users where SR is off by default, they're not likely to notice until it's time to use it.

Instead of a stupid, and sometimes incorrect, message about 'Your files are all where you left them', the upgrade should list changes made.

45. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Actually, didn't they say "'Your files are all exactly where you left them" ? LOL

Win 10 didn't exactly leave a couple of programs (that I never use) exactly where they were.
    Instead, since they are not supported by this OS, they were uninstalled and deleted. Glad I don't use them.

For me, the upgrade migrated SR on C: as enabled....like it was, exactly - lol
    On turning "on" SR on a data drive (R:) which also has some programs installed, I had SR turned "off", decided to turn it on, and see that the max slider is set to 100%.

I have not tested starting a BU with Acronis to see if it resets my "max" slider on C:, or R:

That's my report.

46. satrow

Okay, an update on w10 upgrade installs and System Restore.

When you check soon after the upgrade finishes, SR is off. I checked again at ~3.5 hours uptime, SR was on and set to what I think was the original 6%.

47. Earthling

That's consistent with the three systems I have upgraded. You threw me a bit with #40.

48. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Here is what I posted on the Acronis Forum yesterday....

OK, here is my report.

Upgraded from Win7x64 to Win10x64 fairly smoothly.

Within 7, I had System Restore (SR) enabled only for my "C:" drive. Over and over again, on demand, I could reset the "max usage" slider to 100% simply by starting a full [Acronis] backup to the external 5TB USB drive.

After moving to Win10, I could see that SR migrated intact with the C drive monitored. With backups turned off, the max usage slider remained where I set it....at 1%

Today, anticipating the first anniversary Win10 updates, I performed a full backup. I enabled my "D" drive to the "C" drive since D has some programs installed.

Checking SR ~~after beginning the BU~~ revealed that C, D and even the R drives (if I recall correctly) had the max usage slider way up at 100%. No surprise.

I moved them back to 1% (all 1 TB drives) and, unless I start another backup, that's where the sliders remain.

There is ZERO doubt that it's Acronis making this happen. It can be Acronis with Windows as a co-factor, I don't know.

Regardless, it's just not right.

Will Microsoft address this? Not going to hold my breath. Acronis? I know, it's probably "user error", right?

Maybe I'll get someone to make me a macro that can reset the slider to 1%...to save me 4 or 5 clicks.

Best,

DrCarl

Products: Acronis True Image 2016
    System: Win10x64, i7 CPU 2.66 GHz, 12GB RAM, 1TB SSD, two 1TB HDDs, 5TB External HDD (three partitions)

AtlBo likes this.
  49. Earthling

Things seem to be different with the anniversary update. On two systems I've upgraded here SR is off and stays off, but you can put it back on manually.

50. satrow

Mine was the AU update, how long before your second check, had there been any WU checks/installs in between?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds