Thoughts On A New Laptop Cooling Pad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stashandariston, Oct 18, 2017.

1. stashandariston

stashandariston Private E-2

Hey everyone, I am looking for an affordable laptop cooling pad. Came across this one in Amazon which was the ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat.

Wanted to get some reviews from anybody that has purchased this item. From the reviews on Amazon so far have been great though. Any thoughts? I was given a promo code as well if anybody is interested : AFETAF4P

Attached Files:

2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have an Opolar like Wile E. has for one laptop which also has laptop legs to raise the back end of the laptop for air flow and an articulated, adjustable laptop "desk" with two fans for the other laptop. Of course, they're USB powered so, I lose one of the ports. But, heat is the bane of electronics and if you're playing CPU/GPU intensive games on your laptop, the extra cooling supplied by these devices is necessary to help prevent overheating and failure.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

IMO, any cooler that gets its power from the notebook is counterproductive. Adding yet another device that pulls power from the notebook's power circuits puts additional demands (thus more heat) on the devices you are trying to cool.

So I recommend a pad that comes with its own external power supply. If USB only, use a USB Wall Adapter to power the pad whenever possible.

5. Anon-469e6fb48c

I Have both my cooling pad in my outlet not connected to the laptop.Works well

Digerati likes this.
  6. mdonah

I, unfortunately, don't have a powered USB hub.

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

8. Anon-469e6fb48c

Imandy yup that is what i use.Only i use one of my other connectors from my cell.

9. Digerati

We are not talking about hubs (though a powered hub would work too). The idea is to power the cooling pad with anything other than through the notebook's USB ports. If the pad does not come with its own power supply (and most do not), use one of those USB Wall Adapters I linked to and Imandy showed. They are very inexpensive, but effective and they ensure no additional load is placed on the notebooks battery/power supply and regulator circuits.

10. mdonah

I do have similar items for my cell phone and e-cigs but, the cords for the fans aren't long enough to reach from the adapter(s) to the fan(s). Right now, something as cheap as a USB cable is financially out of reach — believe it or not.

11. Digerati

Cooling pad USB power cords are often inconveniently short - but for a valid reason: so they don't get in the way and tripped over pulling the notebook to the floor.

With a little hunting, a 6 foot USB extension cable can be found for under $5. I might suggest giving up a valueless (if not harmful) vice (e-cigs) for a cable that can protect your notebook and its valuable data. I'm not judging, just suggesting a wise, healthy, and worthwhile trade-off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds