Tired Of The Same Old Phone Design...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 19ninety9, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 19ninety9

19ninety9 Private E-2

Hey guys, just checking in to see if anyone is in the same boat as me. I'm so sick and tired of the "cut and paste" design of phones today. It's all a big screen and nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I love my Galaxy Note. But prior to the iPhone, phones came in all sorts of shapes and sizes which made it fun to buy / try / play around with.

Here's some examples:
    [​IMG]
    (Nokia Communicator, my favorite.)

[​IMG]
    (Motorola Razr)

[​IMG]
    (Nokia 6822)

[​IMG]
    (Sony Ericsson P series)

Now every phone looks like this;

[​IMG]
    I was sadly overjoyed when I first saw the Note 4 Edge. "Finally, something a little different!". Now, am I the only one a tad miffed about not having more diversity in the phone department?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I agree they are a bit boring and TBH so is the GUI a small disc (android) or square (apple) why can we not have different styles of icons, Windows phone did attempt this with the resizable live tiles and they work brilliant but sadly Windows phone did not take off. I would love the OS of Android but with the GUI of Windows (think their is a gui wrap app that will give android this).

It was 4-5yrs ago ideas thike these were touted, why do we not have them yet
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-...o-launch-flexible-smartphone-screens-in-2013/
    https://www.concept-phones.com/?s=bracelet+phone
    https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/future-of-mobile-phones/

19ninety9 likes this.
  3. 19ninety9

19ninety9 Private E-2

I know, I remember seeing the flexible screen prototypes from Samsung and looked forward to them. From what Samsung says, their next Note will "fold out" to be the size of a small tablet with a flexible display. My Android uses "SquareHome2" (Link) which is a launcher that gives you a Windows-ish home screen. It's quickly become my favorite launcher.

I've owned so many phones over the years, including every phone listed above. I hate to sound lame, but it was almost an adventure when you got a new phone. Now you know everything because your previous phone was exactly like your new phone.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Phones are where cars are now - they have a "best shape". Aerodynamics shapes cars so they all look generally similar, phone use determines phone shape. Flip phones do not mount well for WAZE use, keyboards are not worth the added bulk and a stylus is just one more thing to get lost. Hence so many similar phones.
    IMHO the next steps in phones will be small, adding better voice control and screen size variation until a Google Glass type solution is perfected.

DavidGP likes this.
  5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

DOA perfect reply and I agree Flip are not condusive to modern life as you say the awesome Waze is useless on flip. I agree the likes of Google Glass will in the future be the way that we beam out mobile life to our eyes. I just think a big area companies can change is the GUI as its awefully boring, iPhone > iPhone X its the damn same, as I mentioned Microsoft did address this with live tiles but they suffered from lack of apps as not easy to port apps from OSX, Android to Win Mobile.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds