Turn Off Bitlocker

Discussion in 'Software' started by Silverthunder, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

A user on an unrelated forum was saying that they got a new Dell computer and by turning off bitlocker they made the computer a lot faster. I also recently bought my Dell computer and it seems to have come with the hardware that you need for using bitlocker (thus, I suspect that it has bitlocker running). I did some research to determine how to disable bitlocker and it seems you are supposed to right click on the C drive and there should be an option there to turn off bitlocker. However, I do not see the option there when I try this procedure.

Do any of you know how to disable it?

I am running Windows 10 home
    Inspiron 15 3552

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's a Win 10 feature - nothing to do with hardware. Start > Settings and type Bitlocker into the search field. It's normally off by default.

3. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

I tried start -> settings and then type bitlocker but nothing comes up in the search results. I also tried searching the entire computer for bitlocker but again nothing came up.

As far as hardware, this article
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732774(v=ws.11).aspx
    is saying that you would generally have TPM 1.2 which seems to be hardware. I do have that hardware in my computer.

4. Earthling

Sorry, I failed to read your post completely. Win 10 Home does not have BitLocker, only the Pro and Enterprise editions have it.

5. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

6. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

7. Earthling

According to THIS BitLocker is still not included in Win 10 Home. The article is up-to-date but with Wikipedia you can never be 100% sure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds