unable to change boot device in bios

Discussion in 'Software' started by hellsgrandad, Aug 7, 2014.

1. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi, my Packard Bell Easynote TE69 Kb series laptop will not allow me to change the boot device from BIOS, I have restored it from a serious malware problem and was not happy with the hdd so bought a new one, but when I try installing windows from the cd it is not recognised and all other boot devices are greyed out in bios, I have been told that the AMD A4-5000 processor installed was locked, any ideas/suggestions on how to unlock it please?
    Thanks in advance

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Could it be that it is a GPT disk? Your BIOS will be looking for an MBR disk. Not had any direct experience with GPT disks yet but it could account for the installer not seeing it.

3. haulinbass

haulinbass Private E-2

Look in the BIOS for secureboot and turn it off.
    Completely shut down your computer.
    Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
    Use the right arrow key to select Security.
    Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
    Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
    With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter.
    Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS

The locked processor has nothing to do with it.

4. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply, have tried your idea no joy, on the bios screen under boot is
    Boot Mode UEFI
    Secure Boot (enabled)
    1 Windows boot manager
    2 HDD
    3 Atapi CD Rom
    4 USB FDD
    I have researched UEFI and how to unlock it but I still cannot scroll down to change the boot-up device any further help/advice would be appreciated as I am losing patience with manufacturers preventing users from making choices regarding OS or installing new hdd.
    Cheers:

5. haulinbass

haulinbass Private E-2

So you did not disable secure boot??
    You need to turn it off, if my instructions are not exact, look around in the BIOS.
    Plus change the boot mode from UEFI to legacy or whatever.

If you are getting those options, you can't select #3 and boot the CD? or is it greyed out?

Disable secure boot and select legacy boot (if it is an option).

6. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi, when in bios under Security I am unable to scroll down to disable secure boot, I've even tried connecting a separate keyboard but I still cant alter the boot device, thanks for your assistance so far
    cheers

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Have tried following the links you kindly supplied but still unable to unlock the boot device on the bios screen, the only part of the bios I can change is the user and hdd password, supervisor password not available, on the boot menu all options are unavailable, I have installed all the newest updates including bios and upgraded to Windows 8.1, still this laptop wont allow me to change boot device from Windows boot manager, surely there has to be a way of unlocking this UEFI/BIOS cr*p! Thanks for all the help.
    Cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds