Dell Dimension 4300S, Pentium 4 1.60 GHz, 768 MB RAM XP Home SP3, version 2002 IE 8.0.6001.18702IC, 128-bit cypher strength, Update Versions: 0 I'll cut to the chase and then give a bit of background. The current hurdle is that three updates from Windows Update have failed repeatedly to install. They are Security Update for Windows XP (KB2510531), Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2544521) and Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2699988). The error code is 0x8007f0da. One of the things Microsoft suggests is to "reset the Windows Update componenets." It's a fairly involved procedure which went well until I went to %windir%\system 32 and ran regsvr32.exe on about forty .dll files. I hit snags with three of them: mshtml.dll -- "mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered." wucltux.dll and wuwebv.dll -- "LoadLibrary ([filename]) failed - The specified module could not be found." Sounds to me like the first of these files is corrupted, and the other two are missing. Question: If I'm right about this, and if it really is causing the problem, how can I get good copies of these files? I have my XP CD. The road to this pass has been a bit convoluted. I set out to solve two persistent problems: One, when I would close an online article from a particular site, the page would reopen itself on several tabs, which would bring my memory-starved machine to its knees. And, two, more recently, when I clicked on a link to a .PDF, it would open in a browser window, followed by a message from C++ Runtime saying the application had requested to be closed in an unusual way. Windows would then close the window, offer to send a report to Microsoft, and then recover the tab, where the cycle would begin again. A Microsoft help page said,"If the problem is caused by damaged or incompatible Internet Explorer settings or add-ons, you can usually resolve the problem by resetting Internet Explorer settings." After I did that, the original problems went away, but Windows Update stopped working, suddenly unable to load the page showing the available updates. Then I hit a Microsoft page that claimed I was running IE7, although control Panel > System showed 8. I clicked a link to upgrade to 8, the popup window said it was removing the old IE, and then installing IE8, until it hit a snag, was unable to continue and was putting everything back the way it was. Now I was able to download updates, but only three out of ten would install. A few reboots later, Windows Update reports only three outstanding updates, which I have downloaded but still can't install.