Upgrading Intel (R) 82815 Graphics Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fdpfrm, Apr 29, 2006.

1. fdpfrm

fdpfrm Private E-2

I have Windows XP (upgraded from Windows ME) using a Gateway EV700 monitor. I know from the research I've done on the Intel support site that my particular graphics controller does not support 32-bit display drivers. I'm having a problem with the display on the monitor being spread (it's like its in widescreen mode instead of centered mode). I can change the windows on the screen to centered, but not the actual screen display itself. I've gone through Microsoft, Intel and Gateway and updated all the drivers for the 82815 Graphics controller. My display settings are 800x600 24-bit. That seems to be the best one at this point for getting most of the display on the actual screen. I talked with someone at Best Buy, and he seemed to think that if I installed a new graphics card, I could get resolutions at 32-bits, and it would solve my problem. If this is the case, what graphics card do I buy that is compatable with my existing graphics controller. Can I download what I need over the internet? Help!

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

A new graphics card is not the solution. Any graphics card, onboard or not, should have no problem displaying your desktop.

First off, are you sure you have the most up to date drivers? www.intel.com should be the place to download them.

Second, is your monitor a CRT or an LCD flat panel?

3. fdpfrm

fdpfrm Private E-2

Wyatt Earp,

Thank you for your reply. Now, to answer your questions:

First, I do have the most up-to-date drivers installed from Intel, Microsoft, and Gateway. The Intel site says that they are no longer offering any more interactive support for this graphics controller.

Second, my monitor is listed as a plug and play monitor. I can tell you it's not a LCD flat panel (I wish I had one!), so I'm assuming it's a CRT. Hope that answers your questions.

I've had Windows XP installed for 3 or 4 months ago. The monitor was working fine until about 2 weeks ago. One night I put the computer on standby, and when I got up in the morning to get on it, the display was bouncing back and forth. My daughter hit the power button on the monitor and it quit. I have the OSD knob on my monitor, and I've used it to try to adjust the display, but the display is still spread out past the edges of the screen. It's very annoying. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

fdpfrm

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If a CRT, then it is settings with the monitor (Horizontal sizing and possibly Vertical). Sounds like your daughter was playing with the settings and is not fessing up to daddy. There should be a setting on your monitor to "Reset back to Factory Settings".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds