US Gun Laws

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nedlamar, Mar 22, 2010.

1. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

I once again apologize for failing to keep my post to the theme at hand.i merely answered a question that someone had asked,i didn't realize that this answer would be construed as uncivil.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"All this discussion makes me feel like getting my guns out of the locker, just to smell the gun oil and remnants of gunpowder, awww, first thing in the morning."

Ye gods Brandypeppy, clean those guns!! Smell of oil is fine, but remnants of gunpowder!! Oh the horror! :-D

Ned.. "Bottom line is guns were designed to kill. Simple as that."

I disagree. Guns were designed to propel a (usually) lead projectile in an accurate fashion. Admittedly often used to kill. That is where the responsibility part kicks in.

Also, "The fact you don't need a license at all to own a gun I didn't know that, thats horrendous and has blown much of the respect I was gaining out of the water."

The government would have to issue an license? What a nice way to implement gun control. Again, no way in hell. Violates our constitutional rights.

You might be interested in this Ned. Where I live, a lot of people hunt and shoot recreationaly. Gun safety is taught to children. My Dad was not a hunter, but my Grandfather and many of my Uncles took over the time honored practice of teaching gun safety to me. Most of my friend's Dad's had a gun cabinet, often in the den. Not a safe, but a cabinet. You could lock it, but the doors were glass, so not a safe.

Children were taught not to mess with the guns! This is getting a little off topic, but I think often, people tend to look to classes, or license to take care of simple basic things.

If you don't have someone to train you on how to handle a gun, by all means, take a safety class.

And also, for gun deaths, do those statistics take into account suicide and murder? I countries with fewer guns, people might be killing themselves differently. Stats are fun, but easy to play around with, and they may not list exactly what all was factored in.

Go on Ned, get a gun. You know you want one. ;)

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

This I have to agree with, stats are taken with a pinch of salt as they can never be acurate, when I use stats I use a variety of sources and come to an average conclusion myself to try and discount any hidden factors, but it's a very rough guide in anything.

As for the cabinate thing, that is a nicer way to do it in many ways, if I had a collection I would want it on display, the safety factor of a safe is six of 1, half dozen of the other. Frequently a padlock on a shed is enough to deture a thief, so why set up a security alarm. The only difference being a Safe is totally inaccessable to anyone but the owner.

That statement also makes me think/realise that many of the gun issues I speak of along with many others could very well be derived from society today, there is undoubtedly less respect today for almost anything except the enviroment. I open doors for ladies and ALWAYS insist on ladies first because thats how I was raised, it's shocking how many women are surprised by this small act of selflessness and common courtesy from nothing more than a gentleman. (which is funny really because I'm common as muck :-D )
    Old fashioned? yes, but if we let all the old ways die then we are only left with the mess that has become "Modern Day"

People today have less manners which in turn leads to less respect which in turn leads to things like accidental gun death....... or drink driving death or many other kinds of mistakes.

I think that makes sense :-D

And yes Fred, I want a gun but for now will have to stick with my AirSoft AK47 :-D

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ned, come now, lets see your stats or links.
    "People today have less manners which in turn leads to less respect which in turn leads to things like accidental gun death"

I will agree with you on the lack of manors. But. lack of mannors and accidental gun deaths have no correlation. Lack of mannors might lead to a situation where someone used a firearm in the wrong way.

5. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol I don't need stats, I see it everyday.

Thats what I meant :p
    Lack of manners, loss of care = Loss of respect, loss of respect in turn means little care.
    Don't care or respect the fire arm, accidents happen. Same with driving or anything else that requires care , understanding and respect.

It's a funny old world when it's all said and done.

6. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day all back again this time i will try and keep it as civilized as i possibly can, after all i am only an uneducated Aussie.
    you all speak of respect and manners,personally i feel it has nothing to do with either i believe it has to do with value.whats more valuable, pieces of wood steel and plastic or a human life.i think that humans are the most valuable resource this planet has irregardless of race or religion and i would make any sacrifice possible to protect this valuable resource.any human life is irreplaceable once its gone there's no getting it back.is your freedom of choice and some writing on a piece of paper more valuable than that.

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"i think that humans are the most valuable resource this planet has irregardless of race or religion and i would make any sacrifice possible to protect this valuable resource.any human life is irreplaceable once its gone there's no getting it back.is your freedom of choice and some writing on a piece of paper more valuable than that."

Iwunder, I respect human life, and life in general. However, I have no respect for someone who violates my rights as a person. As in, breaking into my home and or threatening my life, or one of my loved ones.

And, as far as that writing on a piece of paper... A lot of people have died for those words on that piece of paper. Many of us find that piece of paper to be very valuable. ;)

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

You didn't need to say uneducated.......we know that :-D :p j/k bud, us English are allowed to have a pop at you Aussies and vice versa :)

I have to disagree here, humans are the most valuable resource to humans, not the planet, we are the most destructive resource the planet has unfortunately.
    But thats a whole other issue lol

@Fred...
    Yes, as Rikky pointed out, very valuable in a crisis situation, especially when rolled up :-D

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I take issue with this Ned. "Yes, as Rikky pointed out, very valuable in a crisis situation, especially when rolled up"

Like it or not, us crazy Americans have certain rights, as the constitution states. So perhaps we should stay more on the US gun laws in this thread, in my opinion.

"lol I don't need stats, I see it everyday."

Hmm, got a quote for you, "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds