USB Flash Drive Write-Protected

Discussion in 'Software' started by PrivatePile, Mar 9, 2012.

1. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I've seen some older threads, but no resolution.

I've got a 16gb HP flashdrive and I was playing around with some autorun.inf abilities with it. When I went to copy my autorun.inf to the flashdrive, it said the flash drive was write protected. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the right protection. Here is what I've done so far.

-Tried formatting it, but couldn't because its write-protected.
    - I followed some info on how to remove read-only using diskpart. Blindly following directions, I removed the entire partition. So I recreated the partition, and tried to format it again, same response.
    -I tried using diskpart to remove read only attributes on the disk and volume. Disk succeeds, but volume says its not supported on removable media.
    - I started to follow this...

... but StorageDevicePolicies did not exist so I had to create it.

Any suggestions?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso with Imgburn or other software that can burn an iso image. Boot the CD, delete any partition(s) on your flash drive. Make sure you are doing this to the flash drive and not your hard drive. Then repartition the flash drive and format. Fat32 works well for flash drives. NTFS also works but using this causes a lot of writes to the flash drive as NTFS is a journaling system.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds