Vista and Comodo

Discussion in 'Software' started by roboman123, Feb 20, 2009.

1. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

Has anyone experienced issues with the upgrading of Comodo firewall and Windows Vista? I attempted to upgrade yesterday from 3.8.64739.471 to the latest version of the firewall and since then I've been experiencing problems. I have a laptop with Vista on it and now I cannot run anything.

When I rebooted it after the downloading of the upgrade, Windows Security Center states I have no malware protection program running (I have AVAST installed). I click on the 'Turn on Now' button and nothing happens. In fact, I cannot run any program, even as administrator, as nothing comes up. I have even attempted to perform a system restore, which it did to a time prior to the upgrade, to no avail. I am the owner/administrator on the computer.

Everything is still on my computer, as before the upgrade, but I am not able to bring up any programs. It almost seems like a permissions issue or a setting with the registry. I can bring up Explore to view and see the files of all of the programs. Everything is as before, from the files on the computer to the files on the desktop, I just cannot execute anything. The only programs that come up after a reboot is the Comodo firewall and Windows Defender.

2. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

I have had the same problem with my Vista 64 desktop, and came here seeking information. In Safe mode, things work. When I turn off Comodo, things work.

When I went to safe mode and chose a date ti restore to before the Comodo upgrade, things worked. After the Comodo update, same problem. I've removed Comodo, and things work once again. I'm seeking another firewall/antivirus.

3. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

Thanks Sanzan. The same thing worked for me; when I rebooted my laptop into Safe mode I can restore it to a version prior to installing the Comodo firewall update. I'll start looking around for another firewall.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not got a suggestion to fix this as many others are experiencing the same issue, and seems int he past Comodo are having all sorts of issues with their updates and I know I have had issues with the defence+ part of this app, and uninstalled and re-installed without this to test, worked but still didnt personally like the app, so suggestion for firewall is PCTools

Alternative is that some over at Comodo forums suggest uninstall older version and download and install the new, but to me this is a long winded approach if you have to do this everytime they release an update!

5. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

Glad it worked for you. I haven't selected a new firewall, but I have the Windows firewall turned on temporarily until I find one. I tried emailing Comodo, and got the reply to REINSTALL WINDOWS! Right. :( No help whatsoever.

Before I turned Windows Firewall back on, I tried removing and reinstalling the latest Comodo, hoping it would be repaired. Wrong. Same 'nothing works', same safe mode restore required.

Very few firewalls work with my Windows 64 VISTA. I'm still looking. Let me know if you find something that works, ok?

I keep waiting for zonealarm to work with 64....I still have my subscription for my other pcs (XP).

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

You all are fairly safe with Windows Firewall so long as you have a router between your compute/laptop and the internet connection. As far as WI-FI goes ---- don't use it for now until you get a good replacement. GhostWall is good, but needs a knowledgeable mind to configure it.

7. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

Thanks for the information about the router between the pc and the internet. Yes, I have a router/gateway from ATT for my DSL It's fully functional and protections are all up. Glad to know that I'm sort of 'safer' for a while using that and Windows Firewall. I never have quite trusted Windows Firewall, and I have Zonealarm Internet Security on all my XP pcs (three in this household). I admit, I was surprised to find that ZA didn't work with Vista 64, and that few firewalls play well with it.

8. Gullam

Gullam Private E-2

Just wanted to add my experience as I could not find good solutions online for hours until finding this thread:

This morning out of nowhere programs would not work: MS office, Mozilla, IE, VLC, nothing. My system tray wasn't loading properly... Skype wasn't showing up in the normal way. Anyways, I booted in safe mode and the programs DID work. So I set out to solve the problem: did virus scans, malware checks, tried everything, couldn't solve the prob.

Finally after coming here I uninstalled Comodo and voila, rebooted and I'm back to normal. I don't know what version I had or what update I had since I couldn't get in to the program to see what was going on.

I have a router with a firewall enabled so I'll follow the advice here and use Windows Defender until I can figure out which firewall to use.

I'll also point out that once I uninstalled Comodo, I had to go into my network connection settings and disable a Comodo Internet Security box. Until I did this, I had no internet access. But all is well now.

Thanks everyone!

9. Cronx210

Cronx210 Private E-2

I had the same exact problem, at first i thought it was my bios for some reason, but thanks to Plodr, i found this thread, it is in fact comodo, whew that was frustrating

10. linhans

linhans Private E-2

I just got a 64 bit Vista HP and I found that upgrading is not always a happy situation with it. I uninstall whatever software I want to upgrade and then install a fresh program; not the upgrade. Go figure!

11. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Comodo updater doesn't work well on XP either. It's best to download a fresh copy, uninstall and re-install.

12. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David,

Are you sure about PCTools FW w/Vista? I don't see it (here >http://majorgeeks.com/PC_Tools_Firewall_Plus_d5470.html) in their 'Requirements' section (and am interested in perhaps utilizing it myself, as Comodo was [yet again] a "no-go" for me & Vista)

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi Gullam - would you be so kind as to explain/describe a bit more thoroughly what you mean here please?

I am in Vista with this, and not sure where you are saying 'to go' to disable this security box.

Thanks in advance ...

14. oma

oma MajorGeek

I'm not David, but here is the answer to your question: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

15. oma

oma MajorGeek

Uninstall tool for CIS: https://forums.comodo.com/install_s...ol_for_comodo_internet_security-t36499.0.html

Read the article first on how to do it. The quote below is only part of the article.

16. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks as usual oma.

I was certain that I scoured that link for a Vista reference (and never saw one) - but I surely see it now ... thanks again!

17. oma

oma MajorGeek

Anytime Glenn. :)

1. If you want to try PC Tools Plus FW, download it.

2. Then uninstall Comodo via Add/Remove Programs. Reboot.

3. Then use the Comodo uninstall tool link that I posted in my previous post #15. (Follow the instructions carefully) Reboot.

Only then install PC Tools FW and I recommend that you select the basic install (forgot the name of it), NOT the advanced/expert!!

18. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks again oma. It appears that I got Comodo "Internet Security" uninstalled well enough, however (and please forgive me, but this 'scar' goes back over a year ago > http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1115681&posted=1#post1115681 ) ...

I had at one time installed Comodo Firewall (apparently just the FW, when it was offered as a stand-alone product - though it may have also included the 'BHO' tool [or whatever it is/was called] of theirs also?).

Do you think the uninstall tool that you referred me to would work on purging this from my Vista Security Center? I continue to have notification there, that "Two" FW's are running - even though I am 99% sure that-that is not the case. Though I have tried-out several different FW's over the past year, a couple of them (though not all) have prompted me to 'uninstall Comodo' before installing their product. And now PCTools FW is giving me the same prompt.

Thanks again ...

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  19. oma

oma MajorGeek

Glenn, I'm reading that you're having 2 Firewalls showing in the Security Center of Windows VISTA?

Did you follow all instructions and reboot after removing Comodo Firewall and also after using the Comodo removal Tool?

You're saying that Windows Security Center is running 2 Firewalls, one being PC Tools Firewall. What is the name of the other one? Let us know.

Use CCleaner's registry, back it up and see if that works for you.

When I installed Online Armor Firewall on my XP Home I found that I had Windows Security Centre also telling me that Comodo Firewall was there. I never installed Comodo's CIS, only their Firewall. Therefore I uninstalled Online Armor, used the same Comodo uninstall tool that I referred to and it worked flawlessly.

I've got no clue about any BHO's connection with Comodo. BHO means Browser Helper Object.

20. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi oma - I apologize for the confusion.

Windows Security Center has been reporting 2 FW's for over a year now on this PC, from the spring of 2008, when I had first installed Comodo FW (Comodo also has/had some sort of malware tool, I think it was something like BOClean, or something such as that - I apologize for typing "BHO") - anyway, the two FW's that are showing are Comodo (as I said from an install of a year ago) and Windows/Vista - that's it.

I too, had installed Online Armor FW for a short while, and I liked it very well, but I seemed to be running into some slow-down issues, so I switched back to my original, Vista OS FW.

The Comodo FW notice/notification in WSC was present before the recent install/uninstall of Comodo I.S.

Does this help to clarify my issue, please?

21. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Sorry, ran-out of edit time ....

I have not run the tool you sent to me (at least not yet) - I didn't think I needed to (?) as Comodo I.S. seemed to uninstall without any trouble.

22. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you for the clarification. I was "guessing", as it has been over a year since I have considered using any Comodo programs due to the trouble I had in the past with their FW.

I think BOClean was just something that I was "considering" to install back then.

Thanks again ...

23. oma

oma MajorGeek

You haven't answered my question yet, which other Firewall is still running apart from Comodo. Please tell us what the name is of the other Firewall that shows up in your Windows Security Centre

Comodo like others, is notorious for leaving remnants after removing it from Add/Remove Programs. In the link that I gave you, it even says that it will remove remnants of Comodo that are left behind after uninstalling.

Therefore, yes, run the Comodo Uninstall Tool from the link that I posted previously and follow the instructions in that link carefully or print the instructions. Reboot. Then run CCleaner's registry.

Get rid of BOClean if you have it, make sure to turn it off (exit or whatever) before deleting it from Add/Remove Programs.

Then do a search and remove all references or folders of Comodo. Be carefull!! If in doubt, leave it.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  24. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Sorry, I guess my answer got buried in all the postings I've done here (I had underlined it in post #21):

the two FW's that are showing are Comodo (from an install of a year ago) and Windows/Vista - that's it.

Thanks oma - I'll be sure to post-back with my progress ...

25. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

SUCCESS!!! IT SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED ...SIMPLY, AND VERY WELL - PERFECT!!! THANK YOU!!!

Wow, I had been trying (off & on) to get rid of that notification for over a year!

Thank you again oma - really appreciated!
    ;):celebrate:clap:wave:)

26. oma

oma MajorGeek

Glenn, I'm very happy also in that you got finally rid of Comodo and also that you're happy now!! Celebration time eh? :-D

27. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes! Now that I've quit drinking, I think I'll go ...smoke a cigarette?? yippee.

Thanks again - cheers!

28. oma

oma MajorGeek

Smoking a cigarette? Sure as long as you didn't quit that as well. ;) Glenn, now give Windows Security Center a rest for a while, or at least find out about these Firewalls as much as you can prior to installing eh? Visiting/reading their forums prior to trying them out and see if there are any obvious problems associated with them helps in deciding which one will suit you best, or ask here first. :)

PS: Come to think of it, that would apply to all software. ;)

29. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, thanks again - so, I would very much like to try PCTools FW, and turn-off Vista's FW ... do I have your "blessing"? :)

30. oma

oma MajorGeek

LOL Of course, it's up to you. I was just thinking about G*d working for 6 days and taking a day's rest. You worked for a year to get Comodo out of the way. ;) Here's are 2 links about PC Tools Plus Firewall. Keep in mind that many of the topics are about the paid version.

Forum: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47054
    Firewall help: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/help/4.0/

I'd read the 2nd link first and bookmark them both in case of need.

If you install it, just select the normal user mode. PC Tools Plus FW should disable Windows Vista FW automatically, as it did with my XP.

PS: I ditched Online Armor FW a short while back and installed PC Tools Plus FW. So far no complaints at all and virtually no popups.

31. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks again much. I will post-back with my progress.

AND THEN ... I will really have to get-down to the business of getting this Vista machine, "right" (for once). It has been sitting in the corner here for about five months, staring at me and collecting dust (and yes, I did dust it off, inside and out). I had a very intelligent, NON-techie friend using it for a couple months, and she darn-near destroyed it I think. Many forced (disruptive) shut-downs, etc.

A veritable plethora of problems "seem" to exist (well, a couple, four or five off the top of my noggin anyway).

However, I may well need that "rest" thing after futzing with the FW's (again) the rest that "others", much more powerful than myself, are allowed ...

Thank you oma ...

32. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I suppose this should be my last post in this thread, as I have now gotten off-Title/Subject, but I said I would post back, so that's all I'm doing here now.

All went well with the download/install of PCTools FW. I suppose my only disappointment is that I always hope when I utlize any new FW, that it will pass the leaktest program from GRC Research (http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm).

This PCTools FW (like many others I have tried) also does not pass this test - though it is rated high from all the reading I have done.

So, if you-all say it's a "good" one (at least better than Windows), I'll go with that - though I would love to read some more technical review/analysis/ratings on it if anyone knows of any.

Thanks again,
    Glenn ...

33. oma

oma MajorGeek

Glenn, change your settings as shown in the pic below. Tick the "stealth" mode. After that try the leaktest again. Good luck!! Let us know the outcome.

My PC Tools Plus Firewall shows as "stealth" at that same site.

Attached Files:

34. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hmm, sorry Glenn. Where I test usually is for stealth only and not for leaks. :-o, not for leaking at the site you mentioned. This is where I usually do my testing for stealth. https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Realize now that stealth and leaking are 2 different animals. :-o

Never used the one that you mentioned. Will try it now.

35. oma

oma MajorGeek

Tried this link: (http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm) and PC Tools Plus FW failed. This program is from 2002 and don't know whether it still would be valid 7 years later.

Downloaded Comodo's Firewall Test Suite. Right clicked it with Malwarebytes' and that showed as no malware. Then right clicked it again to scan with AVG 8.5 and AVG removed the CLT.zip right from my desktop into their vault as "Potential harmful program Logger.FRZ" :-D :-D

Hopefully, someone who uses PC Tools Plus Firewall will come to our rescue as I am also fairly new to this PC Tools FW as I always only checked for "stealth".

This is what PC Tools forum says about leaking: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57053

Thanks!!

36. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi oma and thanks for all the help and replies.

I've been thinking about this one for several days, and at first, I too wondered if a Leak-Test program from 2002 would be relevant or "valid".

But the more I've thought about it now, it seems to me, if anything, that FW's that are now "7 yrs.-on" in development "should" be able to defeat this test (??).

I did some reading of the links that you were so gracious to provide, and I'm not sure I understand them all (in fact I'm sure that I do not), except for the "facts" that; PCTools seems to have come along way in a short time with their development - and that the folks over at matousec (sp?) are pretty convinced/comfortable that this is a relatively strong FW.

I do know that StudioT (who I have not seen "around here" in quite awhile) and who has REALLY helped me out a GREAT DEAL in the past, sent me info on how to configure Vista to NOT LEAK-OUT > http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=151170&highlight=vista+firewall (screenshots in Post #27 here) - but alas, I never seemed to be able to get it to work...that is, get it to work - AND be able to connect to the internet at the same time ..........

So, I suppose I'm keeping PCTools FW Plus - for now. But "OA" is looking pretty good to me again, though I think that it too has "issues". One being that it seems to be a bit resource hungry (?), and two, I believe it is missing an element of protection that many others have (keylogger protection?).

Thanks as always - and I'm plenty interested to hear what you think ...

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  37. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi Glenn,
    PC Tools Plus Firewall seems to be popular with many due to it's unobtrusive behavior and is a light Firewall compared to other ones.

I don't have Vista and therefore cannot help you with the Vista Firewall Settings. If I'd were in your shoes though I wouldn't touch any settings there while having any other party Firewall such as OA or PC Tools PLus installed.

Oline Armor Firewall is a very good one, but their last update created some problems. See their forum: http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=15 That's the reason I chose PC Tools FW this time. Until I can see on Online Armor's forum that the bugs have been fixed and all is running smoothly, meaning less complaints and issues on their forum I'll be sticking with PC Tools.

One cannot expect to be covered for everything in free software eh? ;) These businesses wouldn't even exist without their paid software and are gracious enough to provide freeware. Of course, many freeware users take the bait and buy the paid version.

38. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi oma,

Understood and agreed.

And I apologize, I was thinking that you had said you were running Vista ... my mistake - and thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds