W10 Update 1709 Confusions

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenhut, Nov 18, 2017.

1. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Hi again
    My laptop decided to do an update in my absence.
    Its updated itself and gave me something I dont recognise or find user friendly
    Al my pictures, documents, downloads had gone missing from the hard drive folder. (later found on the network )
    I cant roll back to a restore point.
    I am told if I use recovery option it will take me to a version of W7 ? I bought machine a few months ago with W10 so I dont understand the reference to W7.
    I no longer have a start menu as before and the tiles are now default which I hate
    Some of my programmes like Lightroom 4 and DXO pro have gone TU or will not launch at times. The libraries and settings have gone as have presets and modules
    My security progs no longer appear grouped on the task bar and need to be launched via the tiles as admin ?
    If I had known it was so a major update I would have backed up prior and put it back a bit until I researched it.
    All I got was a prompt via my bullguard security telling me a security update needed to happen so I let it go. 3 hrs later it was finishing.

Daft things like trying to close the settings windows via the esc key no longer happen. Ive had to start again with firefox and bookmarks etc as well. Even the keyboard stopped working for a spell and only came back after a reboot.
    May have to do a clean install after backing up best I can
    Getting more and more frustrated off with this
    Any ideas how I can turn the machine back a few days ?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You need to check whether System Restore is configured as 'on' and whether there are any restore points
    https://www.howtogeek.com/237230/ho...ore-and-repair-system-problems-on-windows-10/
    'Who' said if you use the recovery drive it will go to Win7? Was this a second-hand machine that originally had Win 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10?
    What is the exact brand name and full model number and is it a desktop or laptop.

3. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Thanks for the reply
    Restore points is turned on and I managed to restore to the one point before this upgrade. I did this as per the link you posted and control panel.
    Some things are still not right like the DXO and LR4 modules, libaries and settings.
    My dashlane pw manager will not load, but i will try reinstalling
    The windows 10 settings option for recovery asks for me to delete"another account" the other account is mine and the only account on the machine so thats confusing.
    I can not replicate the W7 message apart from seeing it in the control panel options

Acer Aspire 717 71g laptop
    64bit os
    8gb ddr4
    1000gb hdd

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suggest you make changes to those settings that were changed. Reinstall that PW manager, then when all things are back to the way you want, create a named System Restore Point.
    There is no indication that laptop came with Win 7 but you didn't answer about whether it was purchased brand new or refurbished.
    You should also consider making regular back ups saved to an external drive.

5. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Sorry, forgot to mention, the laptop was bought brand new direct from maker a couple of months ago.
    My main use is for photography so I do back up the files externally on a monthly basis.
    I dont get how an "update" can can drastically change, remove and delete files, settings and programmes without being prompted.
    I never had such issues when I upgraded from W8 to W10 on another machine.
    Thanks again.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

7. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Cheers
    ran the scans nothing found.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds