Way To Convert Html File To .txt File And Keep The Links?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Jul 14, 2018.

1. I've got an HTML file from Maxthon browser that is a page full of links displaying the pages' captions rather than the URLs. I want to get that data back into my Maxthon after a crash, and I get indication from a Maxthon moderator that I need to get it in a .txt file. But when I convert the HTML file to .txt, I get the captions but the links disappear. Anybody know a superior way of converting HTML to .txt that would preserve the links?

2. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

I'm afraid it's not possible. The extension .txt indicates plain text. There is no way to have a hyperlink "behind" a displayed string in plain text because it cannot hold any additional information than ... well ... the plain text. Not even formatting informations like font, size, bold, italic, etc.

conceptualclarity likes this.
  3. Thank you, GermanOne. I believe you are right, and I suspected this but I needed someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm it. The people behind the Maxthon Last Session extension who have it saving the data as a text file with captions rather than web addresses apparently don't know what they're doing, and I will get back to them about this.

4. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

Yes you should definitely get back to them and ask for a workaround. Maybe they support some kind of markup similar to the anchor tag in HTML source text (which is also nothing but plain text) ...
    Code:
    <a href="https://forums.majorgeeks.com/">MajorGeeks.Com Support Forums</a>
    ... or like BBCode ...
    Code:
    [url=https://forums.majorgeeks.com/]MajorGeeks.Com Support Forums[/url]
    ... where the address and the displayed text are separated but syntactically concatenated.

conceptualclarity likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds