western digi hard drive given me probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benzanato, Jun 15, 2010.

1. benzanato

benzanato Private E-2

I have 1tb western digi external drive. It stopped working on me the other day. Drive number is WD10EAVS...Any who. I've been having problems with windows reading it. Started about a 3 months ago. So I took it out of it's enclosure and hooked it straight up to my sata line. It was working fine for bout 2 months until bout 2 day's ago. Now my bios doesn't see it nor does windows, but getdataback reads it but as a 2tb HDD not a 1tb HDD. It doesn't either pick up the name of the drive or brand or any thing like that. As it does with all my other HDD. Now you can hear the disk spinning so I know it's getting power. I've tried all sata lines in my p.c. but windows or Bios doesn't read it anymore. Any one be able to point me into the right direction to solve this problem? Could it be my MBR, or the circuit board on the HDD itself? I have three other sata drives that run fine no probs what so ever. I've fixed HDD's before but have never ran across this situation....Any help would be very much so obliged....

Thanks

2. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

So, it is not working anymore?

3. benzanato

benzanato Private E-2

Nope doesn't work at all. Bios won't read it neither will windows... But the disks do spin in the hard drive.

4. benzanato

benzanato Private E-2

It is definitely getting power

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Have you tried WD's Data Lifeguard tools yet on it? See what that says and then you'll
    know how screwed it is. The tools can boot from CD too, test it that way and you'll know if you have to RMA it.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would try the WD Tools as Augie mentions and also if you are still using this as an internal drive, try another SATA cable and plug it into a different SATA port on the motherboard.

7. benzanato

benzanato Private E-2

I've tried the different sata cables and the multiple sata ports... But am gettting ready to run WD tools I'll let you guy's know if it works. I don't know how to RMA it.

8. benzanato

benzanato Private E-2

Thanks very much by the way. Really appreciate the suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds