What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyamond, Mar 25, 2011.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Actually pretty easy to do. If the linoleum is still in good shape and well adhered to the floor, you just need to get a tile mastic and a trowel to spread it. Then making grout is like making cake, add water until it is the consistance of pancake batter. Spread it and leave it for a few minutes, then clean up with a sponge and water. Then seal the grout.

2. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Most of it is still in pretty good shape. There are a few pieces that are getting faded, some yellowing and a few that are peeling up. I still need to talk to my landlord but I can't imagine him minding. I've already lived here for about 4 years and don't have any plans on moving anytime soon, I don't see why not fix it up.

I do love DIY projects and you make it sound easy enough.. what could go wrong? LOL

3. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Timbo is making cake ...CAKE!!!...:drool

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I got the internet connection to Linux Mint up and running. I consider this a huge accomplishment, given how rusty I am at anything Linux. And internet is nice to have. :)

5. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I started building some bookcases in my basement lair . . . getting to be quite a sanctum!

I'm almost afraid to ask what a "fuzzy ugg" is :eek I find myself hoping it didn't touch you, and that someone has contacted the CDC about it!

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

UGG are a make of boots that originate from Australia.

[​IMG]

7. Phantom

Yep, the great Australian winter boot. They work well until you step into a deep puddle and realize that they are NOT water proof :mad.
    The fuzzy Uggs are the shag-pile version, A.F.A.I.K. ~ Usually worn by girls and gay men in tacky sweaters. LOL

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

9. silas

silas MajorGeek

Me today? Really want to get into it?:-D So tring to get some stuff online shipped to the store so I can pick it up and pay for it since not sold in the stores. Walmart has these 2 seasons for 12.00 cheaper then other store target. They are the only 2 stores with these online. Now I got no bank account online cash on me. I tring to figure out if I can have the items shipped to store. They call me/email me/text me when they get there and I go and pick them up and pay for them. Now my question is can I do that? Also next question is is it the same price as it shows online? Or will it be the full price when sent to the store? (online online deal) So ive been calling them since I cant get passed the feature of sending item to store and paying for it there. They want a bank card. So Ive been calling them last few days. Heres todays.

Me calling walmart
    them-Hello and welcome to your local walmart store how can I direct your call?
    Me- I need speak to whoever is in charge of online ordering. I ve got a question about if I place and order and send it to the store and later pick it up. I want to know if I pay for it when I pick it up.
    Them-Iam directing your call to jewelry
    me- Thinking wth jewelry? (but never know could be the spot to ask).
    Jewelry woman- Hello how can I help you
    me-I got a question about ordering online and sending it to the local store question.
    Jewelry woman- Whats your name
    Me-Name and spelled it for her few times
    Jewelry woman- Spell last name again?
    Jewelry woman- On hold (said this before I could interupt her) so Iam waiting long time.. comes back
    me- I interupted her and said I havn't ordered it yet I just got a question about it.
    Jewlry woman- oh (laughs) well I cant help you. You need to go online and find your answers.
    Me- I already did it keeps asking for bank card and i want to pay cash at store on pick up.
    Jewelry woman- hangs up
    I call walmart back hoping for someone different
    Same support woman hello welcome to walmart blah blah
    me- Ive got a question regarding ordering online and I want to know if I have to pay online or can I pay when I pick it up(lady says I think you pay online and laughs) but she doesn't know so she send me to whos in charge.
    Me- okay
    Support woman- Ill send to jewelry department
    me- jewelry department again? :confused:-D:cry
    Jewelry dept woman same lady hello how can I help you?
    me- Hung up.

So cliffs does anybody know if I can send 2 season of dvds to store and pick it up and pay there? Iam only seeing option for bank card?

10. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Probably if you're only seeing an option to pay online if you order online, that is your only option, especially if it's an item they don't actually sell in the store. They want to make sure it gets paid for and they're not stuck with something in the store they don't carry if you decide not to pay for it.

11. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Try going to the store and the service counter. They should be able to take the cash payment and then order the item for you that way. Not sure though.

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

does this mean you do not have a bank account or no online bank accountJJ

I am paranoid about using my credit cards online (i got bitten once ) so any items i buy online i do with a bank transfer which is much more secure.

13. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Alternative plan. Go to Walmart. Purchase gift card. Redeem online. Safe, secure. Problem solved.

14. dyamond

roflmao

He was far to young for the tacky sweater. Give him about 15 years :-D

I was gonna say buy one of those pre-paid visa/mc cards and put just enough on it to pay for the item.

Currently, I am looking at large fluffy snowflakes that are breaking the laws of physics..... because it's a (strangely) warm almost 40 degrees here!!

15. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Today... if I have time I will replace the HD of an 8 month old computer which took a shit on me with a disk read error.

I not long ago had ANOTHER roughly 4 yr old desktop die a similar death with BSOD's and the same disk read error.... :-D Good stuff but so boring it was hardly worth posting about. Other than that I will go work a shift at the pub from 6-close.

Oh and I just wanted to say I think UG boots are absolutely awful LOL I would rather stick to my trusty old nikes...

16. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Agreed Kes, one might even say they're Uggly.

But I might get killed for that bad of a joke.

Have you tried Chkdsk /F? Solved a computer problem I had. Might have been a read error, but I don't recall.

17. silas

silas MajorGeek

Yes my poorly written messages. :-D Yeah I don't want to use credit numbers or cards either. Ive decided to gamble and buy some scratch off tickets. Hope I win:-D I know people say you normally lose and waste of money. But Ive starting 2 months or so ago. I bought few 5 dollar crosswords and something. And won 500.00! Then spent 200.00 over time and lost on many tickets.. then I won 50.00 here and 20.00 here and 100.00 here and etc.. so actually doing pretty good. Only had 2 times that were totally bust out type situations. I found you buy more you win more. I spend 20 or 30 and lose more doing that then spending 100.00

18. dyamond

So about 2-3 weeks ago, I bought a temporary (bright) red dye and dyed the underside of my hair (I didn't bleach it, just put it on over the brown) and I really liked it and a lot of my friends did too. Well, it faded and I wanted to keep it like that more than a week, so I sought out more permanent dye. I found one that came with a bleach so it would be more permanent. So, I used the bleach, waited until my hair was pale blond and then put the dye on but did it come out bright red like the other had? NOPE! It's a nice shade of neon pink (even though the box said it should be bright red). I look like a clown!! :cry

Luckily, it's only the underside of my hair so I can hide it until I can buy some brown dye to cover it up. So disappointed.

19. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Today was one of those incredibly rare days that are even more special because they come so seldom. Bob Seger in concert. He can absolutely still sell out a show (tickets were gone in eight minutes) and he's worth every penny. I had the added bonus of being paid to be there, of course, but I would've been happy to spend the money. Fabulous show both talent-wise and lighting/scenery-wise!

20. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I think you should post a photo of your hair Dyamond! :)

21. tonyhale

tonyhale Lounge Lizard No.2

Took the first step to my drunken fuchsia’s
    10 or so fuchsia cuttings pop them in a container of water.
    When they show enough roots, tap out a small hole in the bottom of wine bottles, fill the bottle with compost, pop the rooted cutting in, and lay the bottle on its side for a few weeks or until the plant is an inch or so above the bottom of the bottle, tie a bit of cord round the bottle neck and hang em up in the garden somewhere.

22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Organized my ammo. :-D Need more ammo cans... ;)

More fun than Friday, hot water heater sprung a leak, had to learn how to replace a hot water heater... :cry

23. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Hooked it up again and all is running well... :confused I don't know what happened. I shall take it back to my Dads house and see how it runs... bizarre...

24. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Thanks Bill and Phantom for the explanation of "Fuzzy Uggs" . . . I have actually seen a pair of those but didn't know what they were called. Like Dy I thought they were chick boots . . . but hey, fashion ain't my thing! :-D

Today I installed an antenna in my attic, and ran a cable from it to my basement den to hook to one of my TV's secondary inputs so I can watch off-air channels should the satellite go on the fritz during a storm. Pretty simple task, you would think - especially since I had years ago ran an RJ45 cable all the way upstairs for the office we used to maintain there - just poke the cable through the existing holes and badda-bing! But no. In my world simple tasks never seem to remain that way . . . rolleyes

I discovered to my dismay that the exact location where I needed to run the cable through the attic floor is also the exact location my wife let our god-daughter store all her stuff. I was confronted by a wall of boxes and things that I am still unable to identify . . . I had to move most of it, then stack it all back up.

I fed the cable down to the main floor (its in a closet) and thought it was clear sailing from that point. Nope.

I get into the closet (one of my wife's closets) and I had forgotten her shoe tree and other things were in the way. Moved them, and fed the cable into the basement. This where it gets weird . . .

I go into the basement. The point where the cable came through the floor is in the furnace room, behind the furnace in a crawl space. I took a broom and started pulling the cable to me - but it had gotten looped around a water pipe and no tapping or bumping would free it. I climbed up and into the crawlspace to free the darn thing. To my suspicious surprise a section pretty far from the end had actually looped around the pipe in a basic knot! I have no idea how this happened - there is around 42" of space between the pipe and the dirt, and while there was 20' of cable all curled up laying there what are the odds the end could curl back up and around the pipe?! The knot was loose, and I no doubt tightened it up by all the smacking and tugging with the broom, but c'mon! This was 04:00 in the morning, my wife was sound asleep, and while this was a joke my sons might play on me they were not there. I couldn't help but laugh - what should have been a 30 min job had become a hour and a half by the time I was all done . . . rolleyes

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  25. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I picked up my new glasses this morning. Apparently, going eight years between optometrist visits is bad, as I feel like I'm three feet shorter and I keep getting dizzy walking with the new ones on. LOL

26. dyamond

Nah, I don't want to scare you all LOL

Ok, so I leave work today and get about 2 blocks down the street. There was a cop car sitting in a weird location (it kinda gave me the creeps) but I keep on strolling by with my head phones on, when he gets out and approaches me.
    Cop: What's your name?
    (I tell him and then he grabs my arm and drags me toward the car.. a minor panic sets in and whole time he is talking to me, he is about 2 inches from my face)
    Cop: what's your last name?
    (I tell him)
    Cop: Spell it.
    (I spell it)
    Cop you have any ID?
    Me: Yes (I reach in my bag to get it)
    Cop: What is your birthday?
    (I tell him)
    Me: What is this all about?
    Cop: we are looking for a person (with the same first name as me but a different last name that sounds similar to mine) and you look like her. (Mind you, I have pink and brown hair, regular blue jeans and a basic black tee shirt on.. I look pretty average except for the hair)
    I showed him my ID and he was like OH ok, when you said your name you sounded like her and then walks away.. WTH.. I didn't get a sorry I dragged you half way cross the sidewalk and scared you half to death.... rolleyes what a day!

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Obvious case so shoe profiling. You should sue. :-D Glad you are not in jail! ;)

28. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Today I discovered that Tide Stain Sticks do not have enough fluid in them to clean up a nose bleed onto a white shirt and that every one assumed I couldn't drink coffee without dribbling all over myself.

Not really the best morning ever, but at least I didn't have to deal with any fainters.

29. TimW

Went to the Doctor to find out how large the tumor is in my wife's right lung. :(

30. silas

silas MajorGeek

Oh wow TimW so sorry to hear that:( So many prayers from me to her and you.

31. dyamond

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hope you will get good news!

32. TimW

Tomorrow is a biopsy. We should be seeing the surgeon next week, the same Doctor that removed one of her left lobes two years ago. We get to do this all over again. :(

33. silas

silas MajorGeek

Truly hope for the best outcome TimW.

34. dyamond

(I forgot to comment LOL)

It was total shoe profiling! I mean, look at these bad boys I was wearing! :cool :-D

[​IMG]

35. Phantom

I'm sorry to hear this:(. I just hope that it's localized and can be cleaned up 100%. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife, Tim.

36. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Crappola Tim. :( Thoughts and prayers.

37. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Good luck tomorrow, TimW. To you and her both... sending good thoughts your way.

38. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Felon shoes for sure.

TimW, dude, you are on my prayer list. I hope to hell things work out well!

39. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Good luck and prayers to you and your wife, TimW. I hope it is good news.

40. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Obviously. Might as well have worn a sign. Tsk tsk . . .

:-D

41. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Well, that put my nose bleeds into sharp perspective in a hurry.

Hope everything works out okay.

42. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I hope all turns out well Tim.

My wife goes into hospital next thursday to have a small cancerous growth removed from her face.

It is done by a plastic surgeon so i asked if they can send back Marylin Monroe :-D (was that in bad taste )

43. TimW

She is planning on asking the surgeon if he would do a face lift while she's under!! LOL.

Thank you all for your support. :)

44. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

My thoughts are with both of you and your wives, Tim and Bill. May they not only come out just fine, but may you have no nightmares dealing with billing departments, insurance, or any other thing related to paying for the bills!

On a related note...today I have spent just over three hours on the phone trying to get the paperwork in order (AGAIN) for financial assistance on my hospital and other bills from January's adventure. I may have located a crack in the facade, as I talked to two different actual humans willing to work with me other than parroting the company line. They actually seem to understand that if they make the minimum monthly payment more than what I gross in a month I probably won't be able to pay it.

45. TimW

Yup, Tibbs, just like the last time, that 20% that medicare doesn't cover will be doled out at $25 per month. If they want more, they can bloody well come and suck my blood out!! :-D

46. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You are my hero! [​IMG] I may need to steal that line in upcoming conversations. :-D

47. TimW

We were lucky in that since we are both on disability, they forgave a large chunk of it. It also sometimes helps to ask for a reduced fee since you are a cash paying patient. They often reduce it by 25% from what they would normally bill the insurance companies.

48. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Sorry to hear about that Tim, but I know exactly what you are going through,I've lost both my parents to lung cancer. My father-in law to brain cancer and my Mother-inlaw has been battling lung cancer for 5 years and is now starting to fade fast, She is now trialing a new treatment as a last resort, it's heartbreaking to watch your loved ones suffering knowing all you can do is try to make life just a little more comfortable for them.
    God Bless Tim, I hope the prognosis is not as bad as (i know) that you are expecting.

iain.t :major

49. dyamond

Thanks for all the support, guys! :p

Today was fun, after work, some friends and I went to a restaurant and played some trivia, we lost but got a coupon for free dessert. That's a win in my book. :-D

50. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Was it cake? :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds